• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parts availability, substitutes, and workarounds...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts availability, substitutes, and workarounds...

I'm thinking this is a thread we are likely going to have to keep alive this year. With supply chain disruptions, and micro-chip shortages, I'm inclined to believe that our suppliers are inevitably going to let us down this year.

Problems I've encountered so far:
    -LF9009 oil filters are the combo-venturi oil filters that we run on our L10, and 8.3L. Local RME usually has them in stock. Went in a month ago and they said they had ZERO, with 36 on order since January. They looked at other dealers to see what could be brought in, and total RME inventory of said filters was also ZERO, with 200+ on order going back to January. Backordered, because the factory was deemed "non-essential." Ended up ordering comparable wix filters from RockAuto.

-Chrome Rub Bars for 30" standard CNH combine rotor were placed on backorder in September, they showed just before christmas time. Those were loewen, and the state of genuine CNH was even worse (at the time).

-Front brake shoes for a 1981 C7000 tandem. Wagner and Raybestos both make a set, but neither has been able to replenish stock. Everyone still lists them as "available", but when you call or order, they say "backordered". I'll likely end up sending these in to Calgary to get resurfaced. Hopefully they can source the material.

-Walker tailpipe for a 1978 C20. Likely the same tailpipe for all longbox chevy/gmc square bodies. Ordered a month ago, it might land here this week. Limited production runs, with no stock anywhere.

-Walker mufflers for gaspot tandems and 3tons. Unavailable or backordered, with "estimated ship date" of mid July. Couple places I've seen them offered on internet, the supplier either knows hes sitting on a rare commodity, or upon ordering they get back to you with, "they're backordered, and expected factory ship date is mid-july." On this one, does anyone have a line on new mufflers? Dont care whether they're donaldson, or walker, or oem, but I dont want to pay $200 a muffler either...

We're likely going to have to find off-bread substitutes, or come up with workarounds for some of the problems we encounter during the two silly seasons this year.

Even dealer transfers are getting rejected. Local RME requested a part transfer for a newer case 4wd sitting in their shop from a stateside dealer, as warehouse stock was non-existent. The transfer request was denied. They know there are none available anywhere else, and they aren't about to let it go.

Let's say the steering wheel sensor on your combine craps out at harvest time... micro-chips are in extremely short supply, and production runs are very limited at the moment. For the 15 customers who have the same problem in North America this year, they'll get what's in stock currently, but for that very unlucky 16th customer, does he have to park his perfectly functioning combine at the end of the field? Expected delivery dates that are 3 months out are POINTLESS at harvest and seeding.

Perhaps all the high prices at auctions these days are used parts ranches knowing that those micro-chips sitting in those machines are a friggin gold mine this year! Used to be 50% of new. But if new isn't available, how much would you be willing to pay for a used one to get going again? Same Price? 50% more?

Comment

Jeep dealership told me that 6-7 Jeeps a week, even wrecks are shipped down south. Wonder why used venicles are appreciating?

Comment

This is definitely going to be an issue for at least this whole year.
        Keeping fingers crossed no electronics go down during seeding or harvest .
        Picked up extra tires for old drill and some extra parts where we could .
        A 5-10 day shut down at seeding due to parts unavailable would be a big problem

Comment

And yet parts might be the least of your worries if you can’t pull any equipment anyway.
          Glad my “new” tractor is a 2012

Comment

Forgot the most important part

Comment

List of Cummins engine parts availability problems:

Comment

Back in April went to move our Versatile 4wd out of the machine shed, closed the door it shattered. Phoned dealer they said parts take a bit longer to get this year but should have it in 10 business days. Called back 4 days later, can’t get it until June. So I started calling Versatile dealers all over Alberta, found one just over 3 hours away, hopped in the truck and went and got it. Bought a new to me Case in combine, needed new rasp bars, went to dealer to order high wear, there were 10 sets in North America, lots of standard wear but not many of the higher quality, ordered them right away.

Comment

If you have the part number, google (even better when siri is on and listening when pissed off guys repairing are talking) it will ften tell you where the same part is last located and available
                  Ie) needed a special plastic bushing, had the part number and it told us Cummns Saskatoon had one. Thats the last place iwould think might have one, many pieces of equipment do have common parts and par numbers

Comment

We had a semi go down just before seeding, started with excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust, pulled the Cummins N14 down to the injectors and found a broken tip on #2 cylinder. Run into Saskatoon to grab a injector, installed it. Started it up and was running smooth, stopped it and checked the oil only to find coolant in the oil and excessive blow by. Tore it down again to the pistons to find a huge gouge out of the liner in #2 cylinder where the injector tip decided to go. Phoned local rebuider to order overhaul kit, he phoned his supplier in Ontario and was told he would not know to next Friday if he had a kit coming and wouldn't gaurentee anything until he phisically had it. I did find a supplier who could have me a kit by next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ED7768D8-F198-41D8-9698-654EE43B0455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	771076
                    Last edited by Sodbuster; May 15, 2021, 19:34. Reason: Pics

Comment

Needed a cam for 855 in 9380 Case.
                      No new available anywhere.
                      Used quite rare as well. Found four.

Comment

New Holland t 9040 425 hp .2nd last day of seeding. Serpentine belt on front of Iveco motor.squeal and a/c quit. There is an idler in a casting .bearing gone, not available. NH sells as unit with pulley. Pressed it out but bearing
                        Not available, anywhere, SKF has to make it.. a 2 row ball bearing.
                        Found 2 single bearings, none available with same size inner race. Had to go bigger and shim up the shaft. , seems good ,but if you
                        Did not do that .what wait 2 months? F me.

Comment

Planned obsolescence.
                          High cost of inventory.
                          On newer, that cost leading to just in time manufacter and stocking.
                          And now the current factors amplifying the problems.
                          Proprietary crap in ag machines, now we cant access parts pages from CNH for some reason. Pulled the great app they had a year ago.
                          What to do? Increase legislation on inventory etc? That'll cost too.
                          Cant imagine building a pulley like that. Its not an antique.
                          Proprietary bearings????? F off.
                          Sure has changed.

Comment

2x8 pressure treated lumber...

Lead time is november.

Fml. Trying to build a house, I guess pwf foundation is out. What are peoples opinions on ICF basements?

Comment

Talked to my dealer this morning, they’d already had two whammies this week... the pallet forks they’ve ordered for the summer will be delayed at least 6 months because they can’t buy tines anywhere in the world, and their wood splitter orders will be 6 months late because the supplier, that builds dozens every week, can no longer get Honda engines

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.