• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why ?

So why did all our forefathers leave Europe to come to North America?
    Very simple question.....
    Was it to be the same as what they left behind ? Or something they and their families had no future in bettering themselves?
    Did they leave to be willing to give it al all away again ,
    The vast majority had virtually nothing to get here but made a very hard living , and we are going to watch the government take it away ?
    Very serious questions with current Canadian liberal / US democrat government directions in Ag .
    In fact what made North America the most powerful society on earth in the shortest amount of time ? ..... self willingness to do better and not be under direct government control is the only answer.
    China just there now after 6000 years
    It happened in North America in under 300 with free willing democracy, and people want to throw it away ???

My Forefathers came Edmonton East in 1881 to farm.

Alberta farms today [2021] remain, on a relative basis free vs the EU 10... and I see the Ukraine export ports were closed to shipping grain... are now just reopening after being closed for WAR EXERCISES... Russia is threatening to take over more of Eastern Ukraine... after confiscating Crimea ...

U.S. President Joseph R. Biden Jr. spoke on April 13 with Russian President Vladimir Putin amid the Kremlin’s escalation of its war against Ukraine.
    According to a White House readout of the call, “they discussed a number of regional and global issues, including the intent of the United States and Russia to pursue a strategic stability dialogue on a range of arms control and emerging security issues, building on the extension of the New START Treaty. President Biden also made clear that the United States will act firmly in defense of its national interests in response to Russia’s actions, such as cyber intrusions and election interference. President Biden emphasized the United States’ unwavering commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. The President voiced our concerns over the sudden Russian military build-up in occupied Crimea and on Ukraine...

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics/biden-to-putin-us-commitment-to-ukraine-is-unwavering.html

Our farming problems are insignificant vs EU rules and politics!!!

Cheers

Comment

Tom, you have no idea what's coming, do you?

My grandfathers came in two batches one from Germany where he knew he had to get the hell out, an evil stepfather that he hated so he left with nothing. Had one relative in Canada and started by working for them.

The other took his whole family and got the hell out of Russia Because he saw what was coming and knew it wouldn't be good for them all. Left with very little but left.

Both worked like dogs and build a better life, better than they ever would have imagined. Yes, there were years they wondered if they should have gone back but when one did go back later in life to visit he came back to Canada with zero regrets.

Now our lively hoods are going to change in Canada thanks to our eastern Fools and the UN that unfortunately, farmers are not part of the great plan.

Watch everything we worked all so hard for will be slowly taken away. It's happening and most don't even realize it.

Comment

I should add, that in my experience, almost all recent immigrants come for the same reasons. Yes, there are some very obvious exceptions lately, but most will work harder, and longer and at nastier jobs than any of us would even consider. They will sacrifice everything so their kids can have every opportunity possible.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          I should add, that in my experience, almost all recent immigrants come for the same reasons. Yes, there are some very obvious exceptions lately, but most will work harder, and longer and at nastier jobs than any of us would even consider. They will sacrifice everything so their kids can have every opportunity possible.
          The word opportunity was the word used by my forefathers, no expectations of success but at least an opportunity to succeed. Left Eastern Europe on the last boat out before WW1 started with basically what he and his family could carry. Forever grateful for his bravery.

Comment

Why did my family come over?

Well... some of them were already here.

Others were starved out and evicted and had no other option. They had to work once here or they’d still be starving.

Can’t think they’re overly comparable to people these days though.... how many farming families do you know that have crapped out around the third generation. First built it from scratch, second was brought up to work hard and expand it, third was handed it all and pissed it away. Would be a erroneous presumption to assume that all European immigrant descendants are hardworking and contributing members of society.

Comment

My grandparents came in the late 1920’s. No one knows 100% why. They refused to talk about the “old country”. I think my grandpa may have been a German spy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                My grandparents came in the late 1920’s. No one knows 100% why. They refused to talk about the “old country”. I think my grandpa may have been a German spy.
                Same story here on my grandpa's side. No one would ever admit where they came from or why, or even when. A second cousin tried to figure it out and struck out too.
                Last time I went through passport control in Germany they insisted I was a long lost son.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                  Why did my family come over?

Well... some of them were already here.

Others were starved out and evicted and had no other option. They had to work once here or they’d still be starving.

Can’t think they’re overly comparable to people these days though.... how many farming families do you know that have crapped out around the third generation. First built it from scratch, second was brought up to work hard and expand it, third was handed it all and pissed it away. Would be a erroneous presumption to assume that all European immigrant descendants are hardworking and contributing members of society.
                  Often by the 3rd generation the family tree is getting so large that there is not enough left once the pie is split many ways. Also how many boys vs girls has had a big effect on how the farms are doing generations later.

Comment

Many immigrants send money back to homeland to care for ageing parents who will die there instead of moving. Not all countries have care homes like we do and somebody has to look after them. Talked to one guy that said its not that I came to CANADA to have a better life but came to have ( a LIFE ).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.