• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somebody frikkin pinch me

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody frikkin pinch me

Anybody know any more?

Japan, Korea and a host of other nations have refused to accept Canadian beef unless it is tested for mad cow. Japan spent $21 million and South Korea $470,000 on Canadian beef annually before the disease's discovery.

Both counties, as well as Germany, have already sent letters indicating they will reopen their borders to co-op products if its proposed $4.2-million slaughterhouse is allowed to do the testing and is built to European Union standards, said Tender Beef Co-op officials.

The federal government has agreed to spend $92.1 million over the next five years to increase the number of slaughtered cattle tested for mad cow annually from the current 5,500 to 30,000, but thus far it has not been enough to convince top international customers to accept Canadian beef.

Facing more than $2-billion in national cattle industry loses and dwindling international markets, Edmonton MP David Kilgour says allowing private companies to test all of their own beef will prevent Canada from permanently losing its top international customers and help revamp the image of Canadian beef.

"Private testing will let Canada reclaim its position as a top international beef exporter before we lose all our long-time markets to counties like Australia, who have not yet faced mad cow problems," said Kilgour, a federal expert on the cattle industry.

goodluck to the ranchers in the peace... here they might build their plant in Dawson Creek... just maybe Shirley doesn't approve...

Comment

rpk: Where did you get this article? Any idea what they mean by "European Union standards"?

Comment

European Unions rules are pretty tough - they are set out in detail somewhere but I can't find them on the net at the moment. Having said that I think some of the Federally approved plants in Canada are already approved to the standard.
        You've got to laugh though as Europe is so tough - on paper with these things yet in places like Greece and Spain they are widely abused. I was on holiday in Greece one year and saw a resteraunt getting it's weekly meat delivery in the back door. An old farm livestock truck pulls up, the Greek goes into the back and lifts out this pig carcase and carries it over his shoulder (on old work clothes), the truck wasn't refrigerated indeed the walls were covered in crap - the carcase had probably never seen the inside of a slaughter plant! So much for rules.

Comment

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Z02_00bbeef0827.

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Z05_00atought082

Two articles for your perusal.

Comment

Read the first one but can't find the second Randy - what does it concern?
            The first is an amazing breakthrough if it pans out - it must be good news CCA are against it ;o)

Comment

Drat! Just my luck....can't open either one! Would the following link happen to be the same as either one of them?

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Z02_00bbeef0827.lasso

Comment

Go to the jensend thread---somebody tell me.
                Posted the story from the Grande Prarie Herald Tribune.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...