• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon Tax Redux

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Tax Redux

Annual fee to be levied on EV owners.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/environmental-economist-says-sask-s-new-electric-vehicle-fee-is-mind-boggling-1.5376627

Funny how the climate cult crowd start crying the loudest.

I would say a solar recycle fee should be up next.

Fair is fair.

How could anyone not see this coming.
    And why is the ‘mind boggling fee’ only $150/yr?
    I hope that rises. Have to pay for the roads and electricity somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Annual fee to be levied on EV owners.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/environmental-economist-says-sask-s-new-electric-vehicle-fee-is-mind-boggling-1.5376627

Funny how the climate cult crowd start crying the loudest.

I would say a solar recycle fee should be up next.

Fair is fair.
      Realistically simple arithmetic and this charge was inevitable. Here is how I see it. Governments are giving out subsidies to buy electric vehicles, they are going pay to install hundreds perhaps thousands of charging stations and there is no road tax on the fuel used to power an electric car. Then you have a carbon tax which they could use to pay for this but they are rebating all of it to city dwellers to buy votes. Any idiot that can add 2+2 could see this coming! Never have figured out how these green ideas as they are presently structured made any financial sense(cents)!!’

Comment

Same way they wanna use the power grid as backup for SFA?
        We’re supposed to subsidize their green dreams

Comment

Wait until the earth muffins find out we are getting a mileage tax ..... bububububu tttt I'm on solar. Every hit against govt revenue gets replaced somewhere. "Can't save the earth if you're driving". Suck it up, big oil haters. Ask and you'll receive, right in the ass.

Comment

27.8 billion in debt by next March and a record $2.6 billion deficit. Yikes. So much for fiscal conservatism.

It looks like the province is planning on a large increase in EVs. Because at a $150 per EV to replace the road tax its a symbolic drop in the bucket.

If you want road users to pay for road repair and replacement based on the user pay approach, then an increased road tax on heavy vehicles would be more fiscally prudent because heavy trucks cause the largest amount of road damage by far.

But don't expect this government to abandon its large public subsidies to trucking and the resource industries.

Contrary to popular opinion on Agrisilly, it seems many Agriville posters are all in favour of subsidies as long as they get their fair share and the rest go to industries they deem needy and politically on side.
            Last edited by chuckChuck; Apr 7, 2021, 07:28.

Comment

chuck, thats $150 per yr, maybe rising to $1500 in 2030, just like your stupid carbon tax.

I mean we have to put a price on transportation, the SCC says its not a tax either. Its a user fee.

Wait until BC and California do it.

LMAO
              Last edited by jazz; Apr 7, 2021, 07:37.

Comment

Do you know anything about the trucking industry, existing taxed fuel consumption, IFTA and/or fuel use permits, interprovincial apportionment, strategic weigh scales, and on and on? Sorry where are the subsidies? Commercial vehicles conducting trade contributing to the economy

Comment

Charging heavy trucks for the roads would be like charging the sick for the hospitals.

What economic contributions do virtue signaling tesla drivers add to our gdp?

Lefty logic at its best.

Comment

I didn't say trucking isn't essential to the economy. But heavy trucks cause by far the majority of road damage.

But what percentage of the road tax do they pay? If roads are being rebuilt more often because of heavy trucks, are heavy trucks paying for the amount of damage they cause on a user pay model? I don't think so. But provide the numbers to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                      27.8 billion in debt by next March and a record $2.6 billion deficit. Yikes. So much for fiscal conservatism.

It looks like the province is planning on a large increase in EVs. Because at a $150 per EV to replace the road tax its a symbolic drop in the bucket.

If you want road users to pay for road repair and replacement based on the user pay approach, then an increased road tax on heavy vehicles would be more fiscally prudent because heavy trucks cause the largest amount of road damage by far.

But don't expect this government to abandon its large public subsidies to trucking and the resource industries.

Contrary to popular opinion on Agrisilly, it seems many Agriville posters are all in favour of subsidies as long as they get their fair share and the rest go to industries they deem needy and politically on side.
                      Public subsidies to trucking industry? I was talking to my trucker a week ago while we were loading. Owner operator. He said he averages 7500 litres of diesel per month. I live in Alberta but this discussion is centred in Saskatchewan so I will use your tax levels. Federally there is a 4 cent per litre tax, so that amounts to $300 per month. Provincially there is a 15 cent per litre tax so that amount to $1125 per month. Then there is the federal carbon tax which as of April 1 was raised to 10.67 cents a litre, so another $800 dollars a month and federal gst charged on top of all that. Before gst it amounts to $2225 per month just on diesel fuel, yup that looks like a subsidy! Lol!

Comment

So how much of that goes to build and maintain roads?

Comment

BS Chuck

Comment

The fee for an EV should be $1500 a year. They use our roads and should have to pay just like the rest of us.

Also, add a charging station you pay a flat fee of 2000 a year.

It's time, you want to play with Batteries that are way more environmentally destructive than oil you should also have to pay for roads and infastructure.

You pay to play.

Comment

Chuckles you asked two questions.
                              1) is trucking industry taxed? Do they pay their fair share? Yes, likely the most taxed industry in Canada
                              2) what does the government do with the money? No idea, pissed away on pet projects and used to buy votes most likely.

But I think everyone would agree that roads are in bad shape and need attention. Trudeau pissed away a fortune to foreign despots to buy UN sear, too bad that wasn’t spent within the country.

A Consumptive and Luxury tax on toy EV’s sounds like a good start though.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.