• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry conditions across the prairies. Oh are they finally taking note.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fcr View Post
    Bought our first airseeder in 1995.Havent tilled any land since, follow a strict rotation and never bale or burn straw.Our soil profile gets better every year,we can grow more bushels on half the moisture we needed 25 yrs ago.Neigbour who protilled last spring had his land blow several times.Our land may not be the smoothest but in a year like this we should be ok until mid june.
    WTF is with these protills ?
    Guys must miss blowing dirt ??

Comment

Those machines have there place and I won’t sell mine. How soon we forget the whining and crying how wet it was a few years ago. When that returns they will be used. Now it sits.

Comment

alas , the swamp is no more.....
        have never saw water disappear like this
        a large slough there for a day or two after snow gone , then ground just goes on vacuum , its unbelievable!

Comment

Cowzilla...... quote button still missing........
          Half my dugouts empty now so I guess half the grassers stay close to yards ( wells ) . With low sub moisture I guess there won't be much grass anyway. As it stands now can't put corn on corn ground that ground is the worst. Maybe a guy should be buying wheat, not trying to give it away. End quote.......

Is this corn for grain and what would you put in its place? Our grazing corn has to go on corn ground here. Still a newbie with it.

Since we started pumping water and keeping the cows out of the water the dugouts don’t run out as soon. Plowed a lot of miles of water line in too. HDPE line and ALUS is a game changer for water for us. My cousin is thinking of putting in a bunch of line too so we might have a job after seeding.

Just vaccinated the cows with scour guard today and the dust in the corrals was unreal for April. Definitely starting to make some drought plans here. Fencing a couple quarters of hay to graze them is on the books. We’ve fed the cows pellets and grain over the whole summer twice in the last 20 years and don’t want to do that again. Price of feed grain is going to squash that anyway.

I gather you’re making plans too. Looked on kijiji and there’s no hay listed whereas a month ago there was plenty. Maybe fats will go to $2 and we can all sing kumbaya around the campfire......... and afford the beer too🍻

Comment

Wish you luck on your herd. Love your long line of blacks.

I caused a commotion on 240 bales. Deliberately didn't reset a hay sign after the wind storm blew it over a few weeks back. No problem, a local, short on hay, looked at the bales and phoned for a load. He admitted he put the sign back up. My goodness. Had to flip it over without the aid of the next wind.

On a touchy note, I can't imagine how you escaped from being crucified for mentioning vaccination. The like belly button crowd are all in(nies). I'm sure it is a salt (cult) retention problem.
            Last edited by checking; Apr 7, 2021, 05:32.

Comment

Woodland the corn is for chopping and I will plant it on stubble ground thats a little lower. My regular ground is a bit too high and dry and manure was spread and worked in last fall making it dryer. It's a bit farther from the yard so the custom guy will make a few more bucks I guess. I have enough corn in the pile to get me through the summer ,just would rather feed green grass.

Comment

The Cow guys in our area have water in Dugouts that are on a creek. They did fill. Ones in the middle of a pasture in a slough with no snow catch have min.

Our spring in Creek gravel pit has water at the same level as last fall, low but good supply for the garden. That's all we use this water for is get 3600 gal. and go home for sprinklers.

Well, water that is fed off a spring is down at about 12 ft levels that are lower than the 8 ft from top level of 2010. We have 24 ft of water. This source was one of only a few in 1961 and watered 100 cows.

The big pit that we added onto last fall and doubled in size did not fill from the usual spring runoff so we pumped four sloughs to fill to 2020 levels.

Comment

Our creek's didn't run ( not yet anyways ) neighbor is drilling wheat into bean stubble later today so we see how that plays out. I'm working on breaking ground cleaning up and staying away from drill thats still in pieces.

Comment

Currently 21° with SW wind at 40 gusting to 60. Yay! Cools off tomorrow but wind sticks around till tuesday.

Comment

We had more snow in the Eston area than we have since 2015 I’d say, still the odd drift that hasn’t melted yet in shelterbelts. I don’t think the ground froze all that hard and most of the run off just went into the ground, there’s a few sloughs around including south of Eston, but I imagine that they will dry up before seeding is done.
                      In any event I’d say we will be seeding into moisture for the most part and will need a rain after. I haven’t really checked any fields as it’s just starting to dry up nicely, definitely not the driest I’ve ever seen it.

Comment

We still have snow on perimeters most fields and yards as well as NW sides of most hogbacks here .
                        Will not change much for 10 days yet because they were big and hard like glaciers in areas .
                        Fields are 98% clear but but still snow in sun depriving areas , and will be for a while
                        My yard still 2/3 surrounded by banks and back roads still have big finger drifts not melted
                        Was near 20 deg today

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          We still have snow on perimeters most fields and yards as well as NW sides of most hogbacks here .
                          Will not change much for 10 days yet because they were big and hard like glaciers in areas .
                          Fields are 98% clear but but still snow in sun depriving areas , and will be for a while
                          My yard still 2/3 surrounded by banks and back roads still have big finger drifts not melted
                          Was near 20 deg today
                          Kind of the same here. Except I wouldn’t call five foot drifts on the back roads finger drifts. More like torso drifts. Was a beauty of a day yesterday, plus 18. Warmest it had been since September. Who in their right mind lives in a place where for nearly seven months it can’t break 15 degrees? What a place!

Comment

I tried to push out my shortcut to the valley a week ago got about a mile before I gave up on the last half a mile. Trees both sides and 6 ft plus banks, the Deere couldn't do it.

Comment

Thats normal here, drifts in trees and around the yards. Most snow blew to Minneapolis

It’s abnormally dry in the fields, where the crops grow. trees starting to bud and grass is starting to green up in the yards

Comment

Four days of snow starting Sunday forecast for Regina. 🥳

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.