• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

surge protecting an entire yard

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surge protecting an entire yard

Does anyone know if It's possible to set up surge protection at the pole for an entire yard?

Sunday night into mondays winter storm here sent some absolutely merciless surges down power lines and there are ALOT of people looking for printed circuit boards for furnaces, ovens, ranges, etc...

There are alot of sensitive electronics in yards these days that are hooked direct to line power with nothing but a circuit breaker that is set to trip on amperage rather than voltage. Most of these delicate electronics are still drawing power through them at all times, and have a tight tolerance for voltage input. When a wild voltage spike comes down the line, it is momentary and for these super small amperage draw boards, not nearly enough to trip a circuit breaker before it cooks capacitors and diodes.

Anyone have something that monitors line voltage and either regulates it, or straight up blacks you out in the event that it rises to high?

Not sure about whole yard but one of these can protect your whole house, so a guy could put one at each breaker box where there are sensitive electronics.
    https://www.downloads.siemens.com/download-center/Download.aspx?pos=download&fct=getasset&id1=BTLV_4 3430 https://www.downloads.siemens.com/download-center/Download.aspx?pos=download&fct=getasset&id1=BTLV_4 3430

Friend threw out his expensive induction range after it fried the second time off warranty

Comment

do you know roughly the cost ?

Comment

Had this discussion with my electrician after my boiler got fried twice last winter. He said it can be done but ventured a guess at $30,000. His suggestion was just to use a surge protector on any risky appliances individually.

Comment

On Amazon for 266.70 free delivery.

140,000 amps protection, supposed to be good for lightning.

I don't have one.

Comment

I despise the fact that I've lost my reply function...

I have multiple UPS's on the farm for anything I can plug into a wall outlet. What I cant, to my knowledge at the moment protect, is ranges, ovens, furnaces, etc that are hard wired at 120v or 240v direct to the panel box.

I could possibly put a UPS on the furnace for 120V if I wired in a plug, but struggle to see how I could do range tops or ovens operating on 240. Also something like washing machines, that when in agitate mode likely drop/spike the line voltage enough momentarily every time it kicks on or off to trip a UPS.

Comment

101, I dont know if you posted a link or a picture, but I cant see anything

Comment

Got a small surge protector at home depot when we replaced our washing machine. No problems so far.

It plugs directly into the wall and then you plug the washing machine plug into it. The instructions were written to be humorous they said so that you would read them. Can not remember who the manufacturer was but I had no problem finishing the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  101, I dont know if you posted a link or a picture, but I cant see anything
                  Oh. I just referenced a known name surge protector billed as whole house with lightning protection.
                  They are sacrificial and will need to be replaced after they are worn out.

Siemens FS140 is the brand. there are other kinds of varying capacity.

Here is a pic of the specs:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	770912

Typical installation:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Siemens 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	770913

Comment

Had surge protection installed on breakerbox after lightning blew out 5 of the 8 loadcell on my truckscale was not that expensive around 400 bucks, the loadcell were about 16000 .

Comment

We had surge protector put on our house panel and should have put one on shop panel as well. They don't cost much to install.

As far as I know all they do is sense a surge and send it to the ground to prevent it from frying sensitive electronics.

Comment

After the event are they ruined?
                        What brand ?

Comment

https://tpssurge.com/wp-content/uploads/paneltrack-r-iom-04-10-18-100kAIC-sccr.pdf https://tpssurge.com/wp-content/uploads/paneltrack-r-iom-04-10-18-100kAIC-sccr.pdf

This is the one I have had for several years and we have not had to replace it yet. We have had big issues with surging in the past few years. Something to due with our single phase line being fed off a 3 phase line which causes back feeding when equipment fails. When it happens the power will surge on and off for a long time. If we are around we shut the main breaker off at the pole.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...