• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Storm sucked for moisture, had lots of wind, lets do a poll how dry are you?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Partners View Post
    When canola hit 18 bucks, guys said they hadn't sold a bushel and were waiting for 20.
    Now that it dropped like a rock those same guys are 100% sold???
    Bullshit dot com..
    Bins are empty. Bins are locked. But wait....

The good news is this keeps the buyers on their toes. Lol
    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Mar 30, 2021, 16:57.

Comment

When canola hit 18 bucks, guys said they hadn't sold a bushel and were waiting for 20.
      Bullshit dot com..
      I'm honest. I stated that I had sold a small amount a while back, otherwise bins are full and waiting for late spring/ summer as usual. Sleeping fine at night.

Comment

Bullshit dot com..
        We only had 3000 bu of nexera to sell and we even fu ck ed that up lol , hope it rises again
        We did manage to price a little nexera for $14.88 dec

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          I'm honest. I stated that I had sold a small amount a while back, otherwise bins are full and waiting for late spring/ summer as usual. Sleeping fine at night.
          Hope you’re right

Comment

I guess we’re in the red zone and it’s not lying. The feed truck can drive loaded and bounce across all the ruts from seeding and spraying last year. Unless I drive in the slough grass there’s no way to get stuck. Feels like ‘02 here and that was 300lbs an acre of hay and pasture that never greened up. Maxed out the crop insurance and could really care less. Why worry about something beyond your control? Planning on fencing a couple hay quarters so they can be grazed and upping the corn acres for the cows. Maybe burn some carryover silage that I’d rather not. The grain side.............. the insurance takes all the stress away.

No worries. Bring on spring. 🍀
            I’m as relaxed about this as my feed truck swamper was yesterday. Used to stress over this kind of stuff but what good did it do?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              I saw something that I've never seen before here. In the ditches next to a plowed field, the snow is black from blowing soil. Never seen soil dry enough ( let along bare of snow) in March, to be able to blow. Not sure I have seen that at any time of year. That must count for something.
              That how it is beside my organic neighbour. I think by the time 10 years of my neighbours farming practice there will be 3 feet difference in field height. It’s well over 18 inches difference now.

Comment

Bone dry here and love it, soil moisture to me is meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                  That how it is beside my organic neighbour. I think by the time 10 years of my neighbours farming practice there will be 3 feet difference in field height. It’s well over 18 inches difference now.
                  The good news in this case is that my no till wheat stubble across the road is the likely recipient of most of the blowing soil.
                  Plowing is still very common around here, almost everything receives tillage.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                    NW of Calgary foothills would be a 4
                    No run off this year so far which is unusual.
                    Lots of wind this winter, wet trend seems to have gone away.
                    Drier since august but who knows what’s coming, weather can change on a dime.

Or is it faster, it’s widely believed the climate is changing so fast the end of the world is near. 😉
                    The climate is changing very quickly - here I agree. The end of the world is not near, but we need to adapt to the dynamics of the climate, largely caused by our own activities.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that on Climate change. This is a normal spring-like 1986 1975 1961 and the dirty thirties. Maybe read about the history of western Canada. Also at one point, the early pioneers said ag wasn't possible to dry. Then a different team came a few years later and wow greatest place the breadbasket of the world. That was over 100 years ago. Droughts happen and so do floods some drag on a little longer.

Climate change wow that's the same as the politician yesterday in Ottawa saying we need a Carbon tax to fight the climate change just look at the Alberta storm. **** me it was a normal dry spring snowstorm. Were in transition as we always do at this time of year.

We have four distinct seasons in Western Canada. WInter cold spring transition summer hot and fall transition to the cold. Same thing for hundreds of years.

It's dry in most of western Canada.

To some also remember when some say they have a bin or two left it might be two 50000 bus bins.

Comment

2010 and 2016 had the same start as we're seeing this year. I sure wouldn't rule out it flipping wet on us either.

And for the record, we're ok for soil moisture. We have a decent start, but subsoil is dry. Which would be fairly normal here. The rest of the Prairies gets to see what is typical in the Palliser Triangle

Comment

2010 and 2016 were saved for most of Saskatchewan because the gas tank was full. Subsoil was up in all parts of Saskatchewan Alberta and Manitoba from years of high rainfall. The subsoil is done for most.

It will be interesting but by the comments, i would say its dryer than its been since probably the mid 80s

Comment

Originally posted by Challenger007 View Post
                            The climate is changing very quickly - here I agree. The end of the world is not near, but we need to adapt to the dynamics of the climate, largely caused by our own activities.
                            The climate changes on a dime in Canada. You are suffering from recency bias like the alarmist media and chuck.

In 1997 the west had very similar yr. Pretty much an open winter with very little snow cover and warmer temps. In 2006 we seeded into powder and didnt get our first rain until July 6th. Just 5 yrs later 70% of our land was flooded from 2011 snowfall.

Look what has happened since that time.

You would need a decade of something like to rise to the level of even being modestly concerned.

Comment

This is the driest period I have seen since I started farming in 1981. We have had years with very little snow before but not often in combination with a very dry previous July - November.

In the 80s governments had several disaster payments to soften the blow of bad weather.

The good news is you can still apply for Agristability up to the end of June. So if by the middle of June with the extended drought still in high gear, you can at least apply for some level of coverage up and above crop insurance.

Good luck to those who farm without crop insurance. Making up for all the lost crop with savings or loans makes for a challenging year.

Comment

I will have a great crop 100 feet out
                                From the carragana rows. And am regretting heavy harrowing the canola stubble last fall. Pretty well
                                Swept clean. Still time for moisture, it just
                                Better show up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...