• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Storm sucked for moisture, had lots of wind, lets do a poll how dry are you?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is very dry with no reserve east of Calgary. Looking a lot like 2001-2002, which were the dryest years here ever. Seems like a lot of you guys in Sask must have got a crop in the early 2000's as you talk about 1988 and 1961, which were way wetter here. Not enough moisture here to germ crops. Good thing its a month yet till seeding. I have very good crop insurance coverage, but the crop needs to germinate to get the coverage or else its like $50 for not seeding, which would be very hard on my cashflow.

Comment

Yes I Remember the flood years very well.

Just telling it like it is the ground is very low in moisture and a inch here or there won’t work for big yields

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
        I would say we are No.2 Dry on top but wet if you go down little.

Must have got 6 inches of snow yesterday and with none of the fields worked the stubble is full again. Not much value in snow at this time of year here because most of the water will just run into the creeks when it melts.

CaseIH I can hardly believe you missed this storm? We were in a whiteout all yesterday afternoon and into the evening.
        Well we are 15 miles apart lol

Comment

# 3 and nothing last night empty dugouts and blowing sand on anything worked last fall. Thankfully most my ground still stubble and will drill in to it that way. Was talking to the family I drive for this morn, unpriced wheat is gonna stay that way for now UNPRICED. Shit I might have to run mine through the mixing wagon by summertime

Comment

We are ok here , #4
            We got a decent snow in November that held all winter .
            Got very little here yesterday..

About 20 miles SW had a good shot

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              Well we are 15 miles apart lol
              Closer to 9 miles as the crow flies.

Comment

That storm was like Jason Kenney, all wind and no water.
                Today, enough moisture to have frost yet. Not much under that I don't think.
                28 with a wind would make short work of starting moisture. Month to go.

Comment

Here in the special areas, we are that #5 you talk about.

Honestly that's about as good as it gets here 19 years out of 20. There is good moisture in the top 12" of anything that was either chemfallow, or tall stubble. Snow from this winter was above average, and ground had very little frost in it, so moisture went down rather than run.

That said, we NEVER have subsoil moisture with the exception of Spring 2017, and Spring 2000. There is next to nothing below that 12" moisture layer unless you are in depressions with a naturally high water table. This area lives on "just in time moisture". If I can swing an inch in may to get things going, 3" in June, and 1" the first 10 days of July we'll produce an "average" crop. That average is likely crop failure territory for most areas. Any more than 5" of growing season moisture and we really start thinking we're going to connect with a big one. Again, that big one being a let down for most areas.

Comment

Just back from trip up to Yorkton.

Very little snow from valley north. Did blow into Yorkton bit fields snow will be done in couple days. No sloughs on the drive came back old back roads. Similar but lots of bush is getting cleaned up and especially willows around flooded areas from the 2002 on.

Dry dry dry.

May canola nose dived today and we still have shit all for moisture.

The market knows is bullshit most won’t germinated or establish and then it’s just a reseeding benefit.

Don’t believe me phone.

Comment

They gave decided to buy cheaper canola and import it to keep price down...

Can't bring in phosphate but can somehow import canola
                      Last edited by bucket; Mar 31, 2021, 05:40.

Comment

I saw something that I've never seen before here. In the ditches next to a plowed field, the snow is black from blowing soil. Never seen soil dry enough ( let along bare of snow) in March, to be able to blow. Not sure I have seen that at any time of year. That must count for something.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          They gave decided to buy cheaper canola and import it to keep price down...

Can't being in phosphate but can somehow import canola
                          And if you arent contracted, its June delivery for anything you have left. $2 drop in price in mere weeks. I knew this market was one big head fake.

Congrats to the guys who were hammering those $18 bids a little while back.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            I saw something that I've never seen before here. In the ditches next to a plowed field, the snow is black from blowing soil. Never seen soil dry enough ( let along bare of snow) in March, to be able to blow. Not sure I have seen that at any time of year. That must count for something.
                            Climate change.

Comment

It's been a fun ride to the Canola market. I still think June will be interesting to see what happens and the games will continue.

Comment

When canola hit 18 bucks, guys said they hadn't sold a bushel and were waiting for 20.
                                Now that it dropped like a rock those same guys are 100% sold???
                                Bullshit dot com..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...