• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Storm sucked for moisture, had lots of wind, lets do a poll how dry are you?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbor and I were talking about zero tillage and guys working stubble with the high speed disks. Funny how oat stubble cut a foot high has moisture compared to worked stuff. They’ll be parked in the fence row with the rodweeder for another 20 years.

Comment

nothing in the northeast swamp , maybe 2" snow in the last month
      this last 1" is in the bush , real drying wind last couple days

Comment

Answer south west -1

Comment

I'd say we're a #5, top 8" ok, but I know how quickly that moisture can disappear after the soil is opened(even with minimal till). Especially if weather pattern is going to continue with strong winds.

Received about 1-2 cm, so no moisture in this storm, it'll be evaporated by Saturday.

SF3, Your comment, "Drought is rough and not fun like to wet." I don't know what to make of that comment, nothing about being too wet is fun!
          1- towing is hard and damaging to equipment, big drills stuck, sprayers, combines, trucks, etc
          2- it's dangerous pulling out that stuff, plus the loss of time.
          3- weeds grow unchecked, when some areas are cut off because of standing water or water runs.
          4- damaging to the land with moisture within the soil profiles moving about and seeping out.
          5- don't forget the over lap and extra time, for planting and spraying.
          6- battling to get harvest completed, combining in Nov not fun.
          7- small window, if any to do fall work and prepping for next year, some years all for not, as wet the following spring wipes out the work you did get done.
          8- too wet = high humidity = constant disease pressure.

I just thought you needed a small reminder of what "too wet" actually means, seems you forgot already.
          Last edited by beaverdam; Mar 30, 2021, 09:11.

Comment

7. If you don’t look you don’t have a problem....

Where’d the snow go ffs. Think it was just blowing farmers tears around. The weather pattern is shaping up. Not a good one for here....

Comment

Very dry in east central alberta but we still have time to get some moisture. I am very worried about the pastures they might not even green up.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                Neighbor and I were talking about zero tillage and guys working stubble with the high speed disks. Funny how oat stubble cut a foot high has moisture compared to worked stuff. They’ll be parked in the fence row with the rodweeder for another 20 years.
                Guys around here harrowed down wheat stubble last fall like they thought we were gong to get 10 ft of snow. Now it looks parched in there.

I left all mine alone after harvest. Canola will be going in there.

Comment

I would say we are No.2 Dry on top but wet if you go down little.

Must have got 6 inches of snow yesterday and with none of the fields worked the stubble is full again. Not much value in snow at this time of year here because most of the water will just run into the creeks when it melts.

CaseIH I can hardly believe you missed this storm? We were in a whiteout all yesterday afternoon and into the evening.

Comment

Things can’t be all that bad. Cash rent in that $110-125 range, land selling $500-750k. Machinery sales through the roof, and commodity prices falling like a rollercoaster.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                      Things can’t be all that bad. Cash rent in that $110-125 range, land selling $500-750k. Machinery sales through the roof, and commodity prices falling like a rollercoaster.
                      The canola crop is in the bag. Nov 21 futures down $48 off the high posted Mar 12.
                      Crush margins well over 100 in every new crop month. Sign 'er up! Profit for everyone!

Comment

#3, I was burying fencelines this fall and have never seen the soil profile so dry, when I hit clay it was like powder and never had trouble with it sticking to the bucket all the way down, my dad has seen this before, he mentioned his last bad year for dry was 1988 where the tap shut off and crops burned to complete shit, but he did have his share of too wet years where nothing got seeded, wishing you didn't bother because half the field was flooded out after seeding. We did get a nice 6 inch shot of snow last week that soaked in before this last storm, this will help for about 2 days when the 60 mph winds start blowing in May. Long story short, I am concerned about what this growing season will bring.

Comment

We had a few inches of wet snow on Sunday night. By Monday morning it had all blown away, must be in S3's yard by now. Winter snow was almost all gone, run off was way below average, but still water everywhere, can already drive around the fields ( carefully) with truck in 2wd. That is not normal.
                          Locals are definitely getting concerned about the pattern. This type of spring is never good for hay crops, or pastures.
                          Pattern has been in place since July of last year. Very little rain since then, below normal snow, hardly even used the snowmobiles. Rode until almost May the past few years.

But the daily deluges we had last spring and summer, plus the huge snowmelt last year definitely refilled the reserves.

I would take ideal dry seeding conditions like this is stacking up to be, over mud, cold, and late any day, but I reserve the right to change my position in June if this pattern holds.

Edit, this is west Central Alberta. Coldest Wettest place on prairies.

Comment

Dry and the tank is empty. Couldn’t get a soil probe in the ground last fall. Very concerned about this growing season. Both for crops and pasture/hay land. Same as everywhere, seems guys don’t care and are going hard. Land, land rent and equipment up up and up.

Weather patterns seem to be setting up to miss us. Where is the best place to find some optimism???

Comment

We are ok for moisture , an hour north of Regina.Accuweather is showing several wet days in april and may.Last year we were tuning the combines up on this day, harvesting on easter.Dont think the canola would be looking to good after this wind.

Comment

1988 dry

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...