• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tapped the maples.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapped the maples.

Then it got cold again. Sap was running great a couple days ago. What ran is frozen. Minus ten today so far. Was looking forward to a good old boil fest. Maybe next week...

Will they seal off now, or do you think they'll flow freely again?

How about a pic or two.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
      Will they seal off now, or do you think they'll flow freely again?

How about a pic or two.
      I’m so darn technologically inept. Lol I will see about pics. I’m not sure what will happen. I assume once it warms again they’ll flow as I assume the tree needs to be “alive” to start the healing and sealing process.

For five years now, we’ve been tapping our maples and just making enough syrup for our own use, like ten litres or so. It’s kind of fun especially for the kids, and really cool how good the syrup is. This is the earliest I’ve seen in those years sap flow. Now, since aunt jemima is no longer pc, it’s more important than ever to get our own syrup! Lol I’ll see about pictures. No promises.

A guy who taps along the Assiniboine stated that if he were young again, he would plant a whole schwack of maples. Because then you could have them in easy to access rows etc. Makes me wonder sometimes... they grow like a weed if you don’t even try. Most of the ones I tap are these weed types that are not anywhere near the original shelter belt. They probably would all die if you actually put in effort.

Comment

This is very cool. I didn’t know you could tap manatoba maples. We have an old shelter belt around the farmhouse with big juicy maples ready to go. I’ve ordered some taps off Amazon with fast shipping. Hopefully they show up on time.

Thanks for the tip sheep. If I get any syrup I’ll post the results.

Comment

Had a call last evening from a friend who makes maple syrup. He was very pleased to say that they have had a good season so far, reaching the 1 liter of finished syrup per tap now for yield. That's a good yield for a maple syrup season.

However, it's been a rather unusual year for producers in this area, very uneven results across the county. Some are still waiting for the "season" to hit it's stride.

After a very cold stretch a week or two ago, it's now become quite warm, hit 19C yesterday, and no frost the last two nights. It takes a light frost at night and warm days to make the sap run.

There's still time for the season to go on.

Comment

No flow the last couple days at all. Forecast looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by workboots View Post
              This is very cool. I didn’t know you could tap manatoba maples. We have an old shelter belt around the farmhouse with big juicy maples ready to go. I’ve ordered some taps off Amazon with fast shipping. Hopefully they show up on time.

Thanks for the tip sheep. If I get any syrup I’ll post the results.
              Yeah it’s one of those things in life that help keep it interesting. A few tips for those who are interested. The ratio is a lot more diluted than a sugar maple. You’ll get a litre of syrup out of maybe 80 litres of sap. When boiling, make sure to do it outside. I use a Turkey boiler. If I fill it up in the morning, I will add maybe ten more litres as it boils down, and end up at dusk bringing it in to finish it on the stove.

So that is the tricky part. Either use a candy thermometer, or what I do is visually watch for the “funny” bubbles to form I call them. That is when you stop. Then I just throw it in small half pint jars and as they cool, they seal on their own. Lasts forever in the bar fridge downstairs.

The bottom of the jar will get whiteish/cloudy. This is normal and is called nitre I think. Do not under boil. If you have to stop boiling, don’t worry, you can restart or add more sap at anytime.

Life is short, you only live once. It’s one of the more rewarding/ non cost effective things I do. Watching people’s faces when you serve them a maple glazed ham, or maple syrup on ice cream or pancakes, and you tell them YOU made that syrup, from your own trees, is priceless, because it is so little known and unusual.

My favorite saying in all this? As I look at the province, and all its maples everywhere?

It’s truly an UNTAPPED resource. Bwahahahahaha!

Comment

Very cool that you guys are doing this. Toured a vacuum operation in Ontario and it was very interesting. Got a few maples here but I’m quite content getting it at Costco. My patience would evaporate quicker than the sap............😉

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Yeah it’s one of those things in life that help keep it interesting. A few tips for those who are interested. The ratio is a lot more diluted than a sugar maple. You’ll get a litre of syrup out of maybe 80 litres of sap. When boiling, make sure to do it outside. I use a Turkey boiler. If I fill it up in the morning, I will add maybe ten more litres as it boils down, and end up at dusk bringing it in to finish it on the stove.

So that is the tricky part. Either use a candy thermometer, or what I do is visually watch for the “funny” bubbles to form I call them. That is when you stop. Then I just throw it in small half pint jars and as they cool, they seal on their own. Lasts forever in the bar fridge downstairs.

The bottom of the jar will get whiteish/cloudy. This is normal and is called nitre I think. Do not under boil. If you have to stop boiling, don’t worry, you can restart or add more sap at anytime.

Life is short, you only live once. It’s one of the more rewarding/ non cost effective things I do. Watching people’s faces when you serve them a maple glazed ham, or maple syrup on ice cream or pancakes, and you tell them YOU made that syrup, from your own trees, is priceless, because it is so little known and unusual.

My favorite saying in all this? As I look at the province, and all its maples everywhere?

It’s truly an UNTAPPED resource. Bwahahahahaha!
                  RFD TV had a Maple Sugar story...the guy said put a 1/4" slice of a butter square in the dilute sap while evaporating... makes the finished Maple Syrup very tasty!

Cheers

Comment

You are very resourceful Sheapwheat, what is it you don’t do? Sure enjoy you guys on Agriville. 👍✅

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                      Very cool that you guys are doing this. Toured a vacuum operation in Ontario and it was very interesting. Got a few maples here but I’m quite content getting it at Costco. My patience would evaporate quicker than the sap............😉
                      Lol. Honestly it doesn’t take much to do. Half hour tap the trees. Each morning send a kid out to collect the sap. When you have enough to boil, push the igniter on the Turkey boiler and let it go all day while you do everything else you need to Ck it every couple hours and add more sap here n there. Then bring it in in the evening, sit on agriville with the old I pad, and watch for the “special bubbles”.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        You are very resourceful Sheapwheat, what is it you don’t do? Sure enjoy you guys on Agriville. 👍✅
                        Ha. There’s a lot I don’t do for sure. I appreciate your appreciation!

Comment

We are in the process of moving to the farm for the summer. Now that’s an easy job-not! Turns out this area is Covid City so the horses are not getting their de-wormer. 😂

Comment

Well after a call to Sheepwheat I am off to a late start but very much enjoying what I hope will become an annual project. I took a very thrifty approach and my equipment mainly consists of 1/4” airline and empty milk jugs. Simply drill a quarter inch hole in the tree at a somewhat upwards slant and jam the airline into it then run downslope into a milk jug. After trying the side burner on the bbq and my winter camp wood stove I went and splurged on a Turkey deep fried for boiling the sap. Moving the deep boiler into the greenhouse also made a huge difference on its efficiency. I’ll try to attach some photos. Click image for larger version

Name:	02315B42-3A45-42A6-9239-D309B3D7B400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	770925

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	9D2765BF-7558-4C72-A9E1-8D9CCB8E89A4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	770926
                              Turkey deep fryer working as it should

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.