Test More of a different crop Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

More of a different crop

Test
Mar 22, 2021 | 20:10 1 Sawed these slabs out of a rough piece of hard maple left over on the landing after last winter's logging project.

Pretty nice character, and matching slabs from near the center of the chunk of wood.

Full 2", 22"W x 54"L.

They will make a pretty cool coffee table(s) after they come out of the kiln.

Name:  The Tributaries (3).jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  69.4 KB Reply With Quote

  • Mar 22, 2021 | 20:59 2 I don't know if you have cottonwoods in your part of the country, but they can easily have a width in excess of three feet.

    They can make great looking dining room table tops. Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 06:51 3 We have a few varieties of poplar - if that's what cottonwoods are, not sure. Ours drop a ton of white fluff in the springtime.

    My saw is limited to 28" diameter stuff. Thinking of selling it and buying or building one that will take the big stuff that sells accordingly.

    The market for it is still strong - this highly defective lumber sells for more than straight-up, clear logs from high quality trees. Well they used to call it defects. Now they call it "character".

    In this case, these slabs might wholesale about $150 -$250 each depending on width, 6 in total. The logs from that tree were worth about $400 in total, about $100 each log in this case.

    We've come a long way baby. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 23, 2021 | 07:14 4 So interesting. Live Edge lumber is the rage right now. Last Saturday we went to Windsor plywood in Regina to see what they have. Many of the 7 foot x 1 1/2in thick hardwood lengths are priced at over $1000 each, about 20 to 24 inches wide. Our relatives at Roberts Creek BC just completed a live edge table with a aqua glass panel through the centre. It is very nice and going to live in Edmonton. There are numerous You Tube videos on live edge table making using resins and glass. Burnt, you are sitting on a gold mine. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Mar 23, 2021 | 07:26 5 Live edge has been available for a while now. I made a live edge walnut mantle 10 years ago. But yes, much more prevalent and expensive. Good for you, and fun.
    Cottonwood (poplar) and aspen here. Doubt if you'd ever find a butt over 24" here unless in a yard.
    Stunted 12" out in the fields.
    Tells you soil type right there haha.
    Last edited by blackpowder; Mar 23, 2021 at 07:29.
    Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 07:27 6
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    So interesting. Live Edge lumber is the rage right now. Last Saturday we went to Windsor plywood in Regina to see what they have. Many of the 7 foot x 1 1/2in thick hardwood lengths are priced at over $1000 each, about 20 to 24 inches wide. Our relatives at Roberts Creek BC just completed a live edge table with a aqua glass panel through the centre. It is very nice and going to live in Edmonton. There are numerous You Tube videos on live edge table making using resins and glass. Burnt, you are sitting on a gold mine.
    I understand the value part, it's the marketing connection that I fall down on.

    I'm thinking of getting a pickup load of these kiln dried and heading out into the Prairie provinces with them. 30 or 40 slabs might make a good payday. Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 07:42 7 Ebay
    Richie brothers auctions
    Contact Windsor Plywood buyer direct with phone call
    Home depot
    Lowes

    One morning on the phone, then you would know what, where and how to proceed


    Beautiful stuff there, this is the time to move on it, with lumber prices where they are. Have fun! Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 08:06 8
    Quote Originally Posted by burnt View Post
    Sawed these slabs out of a rough piece of hard maple left over on the landing after last winter's logging project.

    Pretty nice character, and matching slabs from near the center of the chunk of wood.

    Full 2", 22"W x 54"L.

    They will make a pretty cool coffee table(s) after they come out of the kiln.

    Name:  The Tributaries (3).jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  69.4 KB
    Ma Nature is pretty good at creating beauty ............... and keeping it hidden occasionally. Your maples are very different than here. It would be hard to get a 2x4 longer than 8 ft unless you cut it like a hockey stick. Very interesting. 👍 Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 09:53 9
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    Live edge has been available for a while now. I made a live edge walnut mantle 10 years ago. But yes, much more prevalent and expensive. Good for you, and fun.
    Cottonwood (poplar) and aspen here. Doubt if you'd ever find a butt over 24" here unless in a yard.
    Stunted 12" out in the fields.
    Tells you soil type right there haha.
    Well the row of poplars that Dad planted here in the late 60 are a fair size now. Most of them got cut down to allow the other species to grow.

    But the few that are left here and there are up to 48" diameters and tower over everything else. Simply massive in such a short time.

    50 years is a short time, isn't it? Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 10:04 10 I need 2 nice 72 inch x 24 inch + 1 1/2 inches thick. Preferably maple. Reply With Quote
    Mar 23, 2021 | 16:42 11
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    I need 2 nice 72 inch x 24 inch + 1 1/2 inches thick. Preferably maple.
    I think I know where you could find some. :-) Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Mar 23, 2021 | 17:40 12 SIL bought a bandsaw new from Ontario
    What a neat little outfit and quite reasonable !
    Looks like he can pay for it selling slabs
    All the rage in saskatoon, who knew? Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2021 | 13:54 13 A couple more slabs of varied coloration in hard maple. These are all sawn from logs and left-over blocks that would not be worth much in the normal, commercial hardwood lumber market.

    This is a 1" piece sawn from a dead hard maple tree from which I expected to find spalted maple with the black lines thru it.

    However, it turned out to be a "tiger maple", with the tight, wavy cross-grained pattern. Not at all common and was quite surprised and very happy to find it.

    Name:  TM.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  95.9 KB

    And then this slab came from a hard maple that was almost all brown and red across tits width, rather than the normal, preferred white wood with minimal heart -

    Name:  Red hearted Maple.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  92.4 KB

    Close-up -

    Name:  RHM Close up.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  100.1 KB

    You never can tell what's underneath until something's been run thru the mill... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Apr 5, 2021 | 15:47 14 I have a chunk of cherry I’m saving for a day I can play around with the mill a bit, it’s bent just right that I think with some adjusting and propping up I can get 2-3 nice slabs with live edge all the way around Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2021 | 16:46 15 Wow, that maple is prime Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Apr 5, 2021 | 16:49 16 It sure changes the value of trees now that there's a market for the figured pieces. Big time. Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2021 | 18:32 17 Burnt, do you watch the you-tubes of livedge epoxy tables? Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2021 | 19:24 18
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Burnt, do you watch the you-tubes of livedge epoxy tables?
    Yes, I have watched quite a number of them. Some amazing stuff made by people with a bit of imagination and a lot of skill.

    Milled this crotched chunk up tonight after supper. They name themselves - the red colour radiating from the knot in the center gets a bit lost in the photo, but it seemed to earn the moniker of "Crack of Dawn".

    Name:  Crack of Dawn.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  93.0 KB

    Been thinking that it would be kinda cool to saw them into 1" or 5/4 and keep them to sell in matched sets (which I do anyway). Then see of there would be a market for themed "sculptures" to decorate a room, with the pieces in serial arrangement along a wall or two.

    I took a wagon load of slabs, including those above, to the guy with a kiln drier today. He said it will take 4 weeks for the freshly milled 2".

    He wasn't keen to put it in, but called me to bring it anyway since he needed a bunch more 2" to fill the kiln.

    He likes it best on stickers for a year before it goes into the kiln, dries more uniformly and a whole lot faster.

    Starting to get a fair few contacts who are are showing interest. Put a price of $500.00 on the top pair of book-matched pieces. Obviously priced it too low cuz she never batted an eye and said she would come take a look at it and the spalted live edge that I've been tripping over on the shop floor for a year...

    It doesn't make any sense that this stuff is worth more than the big, clear maple logs that I sold last winter.

    Not sure what it means when knotty, split maple and ripped jeans are more in demand than good stuff... Reply With Quote
    Apr 5, 2021 | 21:27 19 Most slabs for sale here are 1 1/2 inches thick. Reply With Quote
    Apr 6, 2021 | 06:11 20
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Most slabs for sale here are 1 1/2 inches thick.
    I sure like sawing 6/4 cuz they are a lot easier to handle. That red-hearted chunk is a 10 footer and at 8/4 those are a brute to handle - got my finger between two of them one time before I recruited help to stack them on stickers.

    The one prospective customer wants them at a heavy 2 since she want them to finish at 2".

    The customer is always right.

    Well in reality, like the cartoon character Herman once said - the customer isn't always right, but he's always the customer.

    So be it... Reply With Quote