• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's so dry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's so dry

You can walk in Manitoba feed pens right now with just your runners !

That's Dry.

Comment

The wind we got the last two days sure did a job here in MB., humidity was so low.

R.M's should put burning bans on ASAP.

At least it's cooling off this week, and hopefully some type of moisture will come

Comment

Still looking for big spring storm, the wells are down at least 10 feet.

Comment

Just as dry in Central Alberta, very rare that I can check cows in 2wd in March unless it is frozen solid. No runoff and certainly less sloughs than usual by far!!

Comment

A shortage of water and hay is looming. Lots of producers are already short of water for cattle herds.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
              The wind we got the last two days sure did a job here in MB., humidity was so low.

R.M's should put burning bans on ASAP.

At least it's cooling off this week, and hopefully some type of moisture will come
              Burning bans were announced in some R.M.s in Manitoba already from what I heard on radio.

Comment

It’s so dry we might be seeding in early May here.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pr_ay_av_s_e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	770881

Percentage of Precipitation September 1 -March 19 tells the story of potential runoff.

Red <40%, Dark Yellow 40-60%, Yellow 60-85%

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                    Just as dry in Central Alberta, very rare that I can check cows in 2wd in March unless it is frozen solid. No runoff and certainly less sloughs than usual by far!!
                    Drove around on a sandier field yesterday in 2wd terrorizing gophers.

Any low spots that did have a bit of water in them, sucked it all up the last couple days as what little frost their was fell out.

Comment

After the past few winters, where cold and snow (and snowmobiling) lasted until late April, this is a welcome turn of events, at least until it isn't any more.
                      Looks like runoff has peaked already. Enough water to run and pool, but at levels a fraction of normal, and weeks earlier than usual. Still patches of snow, very muddy, frost barely out at all.
                      We had a string of early warm dry springs following winters with very little snow in the late 90's to early 2000's, then stayed cool and dry until summer. It was disasterous for hay crops, but mostly very good for grain crops around here.
                      I'm not sure what to do. Current conditions would be what we normally see 10 days prior to seeding( when seeding into mud as usual). If this pattern continues, do I pretend that it doesn't always snow and freeze throughout April, and often in May, and seed early to take advantage of moisture while it exists, or do the usual?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        If this pattern continues, do I pretend that it doesn't always snow and freeze throughout April, and often in May, and seed early to take advantage of moisture while it exists, or do the usual?

I've been wondering that too. ***** willows out, honey bees having a hay day, native trees buds are getting sticky and poplars sending out those fuzzy things. Mother nature thinks its go time but could she could also be in for a world of hurt. Only seeded in April once here on the 29th. Might beat that if the trend continues.

Comment

Damn dry here west central Mb, snow mostly gone almost no runoff. I ordered a slough pump and a bunch of hose to move water from river to hay fields, got to try something wishing and hoping hasn’t been working!

Comment

Trying to be optimistic but it’s sure dry out there. No creeks running and what water that is laying will be gone when the frost comes out or with the wind we keep getting.

Might have to graze the neighbours crops!!! Just kidding or am I??

Comment

Only water will be snow in dugout. Grass/fields will soak it all up. Least snow here in years. Temp records broke 1910 records, climate has been warm before???? WTH? Changed YES, but back to 100 years ago. Earth to STUPID Scaremongers, C02 was way lower then!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...