Test Sask Crop Insurance Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Sask Crop Insurance

Test
Mar 5, 2021 | 11:50 1 To those in Sask Crop Insurance: What level are you taking this year?
I have usually picked different levels from 50 - 70 % coverage because of price. As dry as it is I am thinking we will up all to 70 % at least. Do many of you take 80% ? We have hardly ever had a yield claim, have used too wet or reseed benefit in the past in the flood years. Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2021 | 12:34 2 80% on all except oats and barley
It’s good coverage for what it costs
2.1% for us on canola Reply With Quote

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Mar 5, 2021 | 12:47 3 Depends on most years 70% but this year 80% looks like for us.

Works. Reply With Quote
    Mar 5, 2021 | 13:21 4 80% on everything, if you have been almost claim free over the years it doesn’t amount to too much with a 50% reduction in premiums. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Mar 5, 2021 | 13:27 5 I agree the discount is good.

New guys coming on board arent as lucky, but that stops the one year in one out crowd.

It's a money maker for the province. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Mar 5, 2021 | 14:20 6 80% oil seeds and pulse.
    70% cereal.

We long since lost our discount because of mother nature. Apparently things completely out of our control make us shitty farmers.

That said if it wasn't for crop insurance and working 1-2 different jobs our farm would have been on Ritchie Brothers already.
    Last edited by Dr Tone; Mar 5, 2021 at 14:22.
    Mar 5, 2021 | 16:28 7 Thank god for individual yields if we were still doing area averages like they did in the past I would no longer be in crop insurance. That was the best thing SCIS ever done for us, now if we could talk them into 10 year averages instead of the life of your contract average that would be another plus. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Mar 5, 2021 | 18:17 8 Yea life time yields suck because for us throw in 2002 frost and 2004 frost all early august. Reply With Quote
    Mar 5, 2021 | 21:07 9 70% this year, next year im taking the july pricing option with 80% Reply With Quote
    Mar 5, 2021 | 21:09 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
    Thank god for individual yields if we were still doing area averages like they did in the past I would no longer be in crop insurance. That was the best thing SCIS ever done for us, now if we could talk them into 10 year averages instead of the life of your contract average that would be another plus.
    It’s kinda a goofy formula where they take 90% of your previous individual average then add 10% from the most recent year. I honestly don’t know if thats how its always been? But this way it does account for whats happening as of late.

If you’ve had 10 really good years, your individual average will be “much” better than a 40 year contract average, but will “slightly” lag a 10 year average.

Any recent crop failures say in 2010, or 2020 will drag down the individual average much more than crop failures 20 years ago. Reply With Quote
    Mar 5, 2021 | 22:09 11 I have a 40 year drag on my averages, which I feel I would be better off in a system like Alberta where they use a 10 year system where they drop off the oldest year. With the advanced genetics and seeding development a 10 year system excels, on the flip side if we were to hit a few dry or frost years then the 40year drag would start to look good. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Mar 5, 2021 | 23:32 12 Everyone a little different but.
    Last time I "saved" money by over penciling and took 70% I lost 3 times the savings in crop loss.
    Here at least everyone 80. Reply With Quote
    Mar 6, 2021 | 08:25 13
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    I heard both Manitoba and Alberta reduced premiums

Positive
    New contract just came in mail my premiums went up a bit but maybe thats just me. Reply With Quote
    Mar 6, 2021 | 09:08 14 Checked my rates from last year, coverage is up due to higher commodity price and so is my premiums, but rates per a $100 have gone down on so.
    2020 wheat @ 80% =$2.37/$100
    2021 wheat @80% =$2.33/$100
    2020 canola@80% =$2.35/$100
    2021 canola @80% =$2.27/$100
    So to sum up canola premiums are down 3.5% based on coverage and wheat premiums down 1.5%. Reply With Quote
    jazz's Avatar Mar 6, 2021 | 10:30 15 Been using 80% on canola and 50% on wheat and pulses. Canola is just too risky of a crop to go any less. Cereals and pulses a lot less risky now that we are into drier seasons but 6 or 7 yrs ago when we were getting a lot big downpours we were 80% across the board.

SCI gets slammed a lot but thats the most bankable program we have. The feds should torpedo that Agstability program and put the funds into provincial run programs. Reply With Quote

• Mar 6, 2021 | 11:44 16 It took crop insurance till 2018 to figure out how much grain is in a bin. For years before that they always used the standard bushel weight. If your grain is 6 or 7 pounds above in standard bushel weight you get screwed.
    @ 80% barley is $12 for 42 bushels/acre. The lowest barley crop I’ve ever had was 83 bushels/acre Reply With Quote
    jazz's Avatar Mar 6, 2021 | 12:03 17
    Quote Originally Posted by TASFarms View Post
    It took crop insurance till 2018 to figure out how much grain is in a bin. For years before that they always used the standard bushel weight. If your grain is 6 or 7 pounds above in standard bushel weight you get screwed.
    @ 80% barley is $12 for 42 bushels/acre. The lowest barley crop I’ve ever had was 83 bushels/acre
    You are thinking of SCI as only production insurance. It does poorly there, but it excels with things like spring flooding, reseeding and establishment claims. I had a quarter eaten off by beatles and was paid to reseed it.

It also acts as a partial hail insurance or windstorm damage as well because on average the production coverages they offer could only be met with that kind of disaster. Lot of guys had late season shelling in standing canola here last yr. Some had swaths that blew. Reply With Quote
    Mar 6, 2021 | 12:51 18 Has anyone used he variable price option in the past and is this the year to use it? Is this what you referred to as July pricing option MacDon? Reply With Quote
    Mar 6, 2021 | 13:41 19 has anyone else taken the Whole farm coverage(I'm not sure if that is the right name of it)? My coverage is at about 91% of my personal yield with a cost of 80% coverage.. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Mar 6, 2021 | 13:43 20 Usually the variable price premium amounts to a very expensive put option. Reply With Quote
    Mar 7, 2021 | 08:24 21
    Quote Originally Posted by LQQKY View Post
    Has anyone used he variable price option in the past and is this the year to use it? Is this what you referred to as July pricing option MacDon?
    The variable pricing only kicks in with a yield claim, so if moisture conditions are making you think this could get "dirty" it might be worthwhile looking into. But if you are reasonably confident you'll be above a claim situation it's only going to benefit them. What im seeing on cycles says it's 2022 that should be the big one. Not saying your backyard is immune this year, but it could be a multi year event.

https://www.scic.ca/crop-connect/cropconnect-help-premium-calculator Reply With Quote
    Mar 7, 2021 | 10:48 22
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy View Post
    How yous make out after you finished the 2020 spring thrashed canola ?

Any insurance company can take a premium it's how well they pay when disaster strikes !
    SCIC estimated my fields left out ...durum had no claim as I had covered my production with what was harvested...The flax got to stay out, none harvested , estimated yield was over guarantee...no claim but I got to say my grain in the field was inventory on my Agristability...no claim either... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Mar 7, 2021 | 13:36 23 Pretty hard to beat SCIC for coverage, I’m paying something like $40K for close to $2 million coverage, Agristability I don’t think you will ever collect. Doesn’t take much of a claim to o pay your premiums. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Mar 7, 2021 | 15:11 24
    Pretty hard to beat SCIC for coverage, I’m paying something like $40K for close to $2 million coverage, Agristability I don’t think you will ever collect. Doesn’t take much of a claim to o pay your premiums.
    Agreed. Most 50% discount customers are likely $11.50 premium for canola coverage of $500.

The way I look at it bound to have one wreck in 45 years. Reply With Quote

• Mar 7, 2021 | 16:35 25 Macdon02,

You say 2022 is going to be the big one from following cycles. Can you elaborate a little more please? High or low prices in 2022 or are you talking drought/wet? Reply With Quote
    Mar 7, 2021 | 19:17 26
    Pretty hard to beat SCIC for coverage, I’m paying something like $40K for close to $2 million coverage, Agristability I don’t think you will ever collect. Doesn’t take much of a claim to o pay your premiums.
    $40500 premium will only get me to $650000. Risk zone 16 Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• helmsdale's Avatar Mar 7, 2021 | 20:29 27 Jesus, you guys make me mildly jealous...

$40K for $2M coverage is stupendous!

I'm private because AFSC essentially forces me to be. Went bare ass the first 5 years of farming, then started shopping around when custom trucking rates went to shit and I realized there was no way to soak up a loss anymore.

They deem Dad and I to be distinct operations, so I cant grandfather in with his personal average, and therefore have to take the "area average" which is entirely god awful!

In 2018, if I started out at the area average I was covered for the following with a hail endorsement:

Red Lentils: $149/ac @80% for $31.67/ac
    Yellow Mustard: $137/ac @80% for $32.89/ac
    Yellow Peas: $183.17/ac @80% for $20.48/ac
    CWAD: $137/ac @80% for $15.87/ac
    CPS: $98/ac @80% for $19.23/ac

#winning! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Mar 7, 2021 | 20:56 28
    Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post

Red Lentils: $149/ac @80% for $31.67/ac
    Yellow Mustard: $137/ac @80% for $32.89/ac
    Yellow Peas: $183.17/ac @80% for $20.48/ac
    CWAD: $137/ac @80% for $15.87/ac
    CPS: $98/ac @80% for $19.23/ac
    What the hell!!!! Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Mar 7, 2021 | 21:30 29
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    What the hell!!!!
    Most guys around here own a baler... if they're even close to a claim, they make damned sure theyre thoroughly into one before the combines roll.

Absolutely ruins it for guys trying to get into the system. Sure you can build your own average after 5+ years without a hope of claiming (unless you want to rent a baler), but those kinds of numbers are RB auction territory with today's inputs for a guy starting at "area average". Reply With Quote