• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pumped Hydro Storage For Solar and Wind

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pumped Hydro Storage For Solar and Wind

Switzerland according to CBC has hit the nail on the head. When surplus energy allows you pump the water up to top of tower, then when you need energy, you drop it through turbines. It looks like a very cheap structure. (Sarc)

Drat. The law of diminishing returns.

Comment

chuck (i think) had eluded to this , pumping water back up to the top of hydro dam when power not needed
      very cheap battery !
      Last edited by caseih; Mar 5, 2021, 09:25.

Comment

You boys still using party lines or what? LOL

Comment

https://energyvault.com/ https://energyvault.com/
          Apparently Switzerland ran out of mountains and lakes, and is making a tower to store energy instead.
          Pumped hydro makes a lot of sene where you have mountains and water.
          For anyone not familiar with Switzerland, check out their topography.

Comment

A5, did hell just freeze over? Is that you or did someone hack your agriville account? LOL

Are the Swiss good engineers? What a bunch of radical environmentalists!

"Our Solution

For the first time in history, our transformative energy storage technology enables renewables to deliver around-the-clock baseload power for less than the cost of fossil fuels. Energy Vault’s ready-to-deploy solution combined with low cost solar or wind renewable generation is lower than the most economical existing, fully-amortized fossil fuel-based power plants (i.e. combined cycle natural gas).

Our breakthrough technology was inspired by pumped hydro plants that rely on gravity and the movement of water to generate power.

The Energy Vault solution utilizes the same fundamentals of physics and kinetic energy as pumped hydro but replaces the water with custom made composite blocks utilizing an extremely innovative use of low-cost materials.

These low-cost blocks, combined with our patented system design and some very clever control software, has allowed us to deliver all the benefits of a pumped hydro system but at a much lower price, starting size and without the need for hard to find topography."
            Last edited by chuckChuck; Mar 6, 2021, 10:28.

Comment

Has anyone looked at the liquid metal battery technology developed at MIT. It seems like the best solution to the storage problem.

Comment

Sure doesnt take chuck long to come in and defend insanity.

Hmm, I wonder if there was a way to store water for power. What about a hydro dam? Nah, how about a man made tower that holds 0.00000000001% of the water a dam would. Yes.

Comment

Jazz, it was A5 who brought up the Swiss stored renewable power solution. I said nothing about it, I just posted what was on the website A5 linked. Details Details

A5 bad bad bad. What a traitor to the coal and gas workers for posting a storage system! LOL

Comment

No Chuck, all information on innovation is valuable. No matter who posts it.

Comment

No way pumping water from the bottom of the dam after it goes through turbines back to the top is effective, profitable or otherwise.
                      I don’t think there is a perpetual motion system yet. Maybe if your short of water for drinking, or heaven forbid irrigation.

Comment

My apologies Chuck, I neglected to use the sarcasm tag, I thought it was obvious.
                        The only existing economic grid scale storage technology we have is pumped hydro. Which requires only two geographic features, elevation and water.
                        Switzerland is almost entirely mountains and water. So they built this mechanical contraption instead.

This is in the same category as burning north American trees in British power plants and pretending it doesn't emit CO2.
                        Anything can be justified in the name of green energy. And Chuck can be counted on to defend it.
                        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Mar 5, 2021, 20:39.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          My apologies Chuck, I neglected to use the sarcasm take, I thought it was obvious.
                          The only existing grid scale storage we have is pumped Hydro. Which requires only two geographic features, Mountains and water.
                          Switzerland is almost entirely mountian and water. So they built this mechanical contraption instead.
                          Holes work just as well as mountains. The one proposed and still being studied here would use an old open pit iron mine, use the spoil piles already sitting up top to make a storage lake above ground level, and use the water that’s already in the mine that they quit pumping out when the iron ran out. Average fall through the turbines would be 2.5 times the height of NiagaraFalls.

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
                            Holes work just as well as mountains. The one proposed and still being studied here would use an old open pit iron mine, use the spoil piles already sitting up top to make a storage lake above ground level, and use the water that’s already in the mine that they quit pumping out when the iron ran out. Average fall through the turbines would be 2.5 times the height of NiagaraFalls.
                            Yes thanks, I meant to say elevation, not mountains. Edited accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              You boys still using party lines or what? LOL
                              It is interesting to me that nobody ever challenges you on this statement. There was certainly a progression from party lines to private lines and now cell phones. In your world solar and wind are a technological advancement. But are they really?! We are going from power sources that can produce dependable electricity 24 hours a day in any season of the year. Coal, natural gas, nuclear can all provide power on demand any hour of the day any season of the year! Solar and wind are intermittent. In the case of solar they require a very large land footprint to create power on an industrial scale, not a problem in the desert in the southern U.S. but where I live land is $5000 an acre. All the hardware will be manufactured in a foreign country. In a Northern country like Canada our largest power requirement in the middle of winter when solar produces the least. Every megawatt of solar requires a megawatt of power from another source to be available when the sun isn’t. So solar has a larger land footprint and is intermittent how is that a technological advancement? If I had to buy 3 combines to do the job of one would that be more efficient?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.