• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking an Orphan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking an Orphan

I've started the process to acquire a gas well that is on our property from the Orphan Well Assn. The well's location is such that it could supply gas to our two yards. So far the process seems surprisingly straight forward. The main requirements are liability insurance and possibly a bond to cover future reclamation costs.
    I would be interested in any advice from others on this forum. It seems wrong to be eliminating gas production right beside where it is being used. Don't know if it makes a difference but this is in Alberta.

Originally posted by Happytrails View Post
    I've started the process to acquire a gas well that is on our property from the Orphan Well Assn. The well's location is such that it could supply gas to our two yards. So far the process seems surprisingly straight forward. The main requirements are liability insurance and possibly a bond to cover future reclamation costs.
    I would be interested in any advice from others on this forum. It seems wrong to be eliminating gas production right beside where it is being used. Don't know if it makes a difference but this is in Alberta.
    Is the gas dry and low H2S? Usually it needs to be scrubbed first but maybe thats for residential use.

Something like a gas grain dryer might be ok.

Comment

Good for you.
      Get the test reports and confirm there is gas there first.
      Is it wet or dry gas.
      Is it sweet or sour.
      Are there any existing facilities on site or is it just a well head.
      Depending on what you learn it will effect what additional equipment you need.
      Spend the money with a consulting petroleum or facility engineer once you get the test reports, or production data, an hour or two will be worth it.

Comment

I don’t think your can use it for commercial purposes, personal only?

Comment

Regulator should have the reports I mentioned.

Comment

Keep us posted how it goes, I got one I keep wondering about too. Might be easy enough to get ownership of the well and liability but suspect it might be a bit of a gong show to use the gas with regulations. Do you have the mineral rights on the location?

Comment

Good replies guys. The well had been shut in since 2017. The gas is sweet and it was making something over 2 decks/day ngas. It would run the place for a month with 4 days production.

It also makes some water and there are facilities including a water separator on site.
              I don't have the mineral rights, they are probably with the province. Could sell the gas but would need a $10000 license which I think is waived if only for agricultural use.

I'm not sure how economically feasible it will be right now but in the long term might be cheap insurance for a heat source.

Comment

Good replies guys. The well had been shut in since 2017. The gas is sweet and it was making something over 2 decks/day ngas. It would run the place for a month with 4 days production.

It also makes some water and there are facilities including a water separator on site.
                I don't have the mineral rights, they are probably with the province. Could sell the gas but would need a $10000 license which I think is waived if only for agricultural use.

I'm not sure how economically feasible it will be right now but in the long term might be cheap insurance for a heat source.
                How are you getting the gas from the well head to your farm, or are you going to build something near it?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  How are you getting the gas from the well head to your farm, or are you going to build something near it?
                  This well is half way between 2 yards that are just over 1 1/2 miles apart. I plan to plow in black plastic to connect the yards. There is an abandoned 4" pipeline that runs by the well and both yards but using it would probably be too easy lol.

Comment

We buried our own 2 inch plastic line between 2 sheds. The plastic gas line Includes a 12 guage electrical wire - for line location later down the road. It was laid in along the pipe with both ends exposed. I assume that its a legality to use it. Could be wrong.

Comment

Please keep us updated as I have a well that is not producing about 1000ft from my house

Comment

I hope it's dry gas, because a freeze in would not be fun. Kudos for giving it a whirl, would love to drill my own and not be reliant on the grid. Please keep us updated.

Comment

I would think you will need some kind of agreement or lease with the royalty owner. I would imagine the province needs to have it metered to collect their royalties and carbon tax.

Hope it works for you. If it is sweet gas and you take the gas out slowly the moisture is often not an issue.

Comment

Very cool that you’re trying for this.

Too bad around here it’s mostly tired old oil wells on our place. The orphan well fund is starting to clean up one of the wells on our place. There was a dry hole drilled 20 years ago on our land and they’ve been still working at reclaiming it. Had zero contamination but is probably pushing a half million in cleanup expenses already.

Interesting that they would make you post a bond when the original owner obviously didn’t .....................

Let us know how you make out. Good luck🍀

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.