• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer

With the heavy snow that came in early Nov. and then melted a little from underneath and then froze hard. Really hard crust under two feet of snow makes it tough for deer.
    First time I see then clean the cedars trees in the yard!

Be alot of winter kill here. Dog had carcasses dragged in from every which way. That deep freeze was not kind.

Comment

Yeah they’ve been gathering in the boneyard where I have a feed bin of oats open. Finding piles of sheds. I think now that they’ve made it this far they should survive ok.

Comment

My better half hit a deer on the way home from work during that cold week and did $8,000 damage the next day her aunt hit one and did $12,000 damage. A friend narrowly missed a moose that same week. If it were rats or other vermin we would attempt to eliminate the threat. I wonder if society would allow the repopulation of bison on the prairies. I mean, what could it hurt?

Comment

Way to many deer out this way, mostly mules, I’m a little worried about the chronic wasting disease, whose going to eat deer if there’s a good chance it’s sick? And if the CWD crosses over into the cow heard we’re about done ranching.

Comment

I have had nightmares about hitting a herd of bison in our civic. Yikes.

Comment

We have a really high population around here also so this winter might thin them out some.

My wife used to like watching them walk into the yard in the evening but now that they have chomped down almost all her cedar's she has lost her fondness for them. These are all white tails and they don't bother me like Elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                Yeah they’ve been gathering in the boneyard where I have a feed bin of oats open. Finding piles of sheds. I think now that they’ve made it this far they should survive ok.
                Maybe not. One tough year not too long ago they were still tipping over with plenty of bare ground showing

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                  Maybe not. One tough year not too long ago they were still tipping over with plenty of bare ground showing
                  Yeah, I’ve seen that too. I think they can end up so depleted and can’t recover. Just realized something kinda funny. I’m eating a honey garlic stick right now from one of my kids deer from the fall. Take that, deer!

Comment

I wish the soldiers from CFB suffield would come north a few miles and sight their .50cal machine guns and sniper rifles... I'm sure theres some ammo that's damned near past the best before date? Its friggin wild here. White tail like I've never seen! Gonna be doing alot of "shed picking".

Comment

Dog has been taking a pass at the food bowl as well... 3 or 4 spines, a couple skulls, and lots of legs. He's got some buried in the snow for later.

Last year he took one down all on his own, this year he gets all the wild meat he wants and doesnt have to work too hard for it.

Comment

We bought 4 of these.
                        Solar powered.
                        Lites flash..loud screeching sound.
                        Sensors detect at night.

Oh ya..open season on these bastards would be better.
                        Last edited by Partners; Mar 2, 2021, 19:34.

Comment

Dozens of deer grazing bare soybean stubble here and the odd corn grazing project with the cows. They look in pretty good shape, that is till they become a hood ornament. Lots of chubby ravens around here too.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                            Dog has been taking a pass at the food bowl as well... 3 or 4 spines, a couple skulls, and lots of legs. He's got some buried in the snow for later.

Last year he took one down all on his own, this year he gets all the wild meat he wants and doesnt have to work too hard for it.
                            You either have freaky small deer or one hell of a dog!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.