• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plant breeders’ rights penalty

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plant breeders’ rights penalty

By the article this guy it sorta looks like this guy custom seeded bin run seed?
    https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/daily/prairie-farm-slapped-with-plant-breeders-rights-infringement-penalties/ https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/daily/prairie-farm-slapped-with-plant-breeders-rights-infringement-penalties/

The language around custom seeding is a bit unclear. Was the custom seeder also supplying seed? I did some custom seeding last spring and one assumes that the seed supplied by the farmer I was seeding for came from a legitimate source.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
      The language around custom seeding is a bit unclear. Was the custom seeder also supplying seed? I did some custom seeding last spring and one assumes that the seed supplied by the farmer I was seeding for came from a legitimate source.

Was wondering if a farmer gets his farming custom done as many Farmers(landlords) do are they liable if the customer farmer supplies the seed on owners land as part of the deal? When no names are included and a large fine involved, I wonder if this whole thing isn't being used as an example or is it being used to set a precedence for future challenges and infringements.

Comment

Another issue that should be addressed, rather than gloating over the shakedown, is how much of the development costs of the varieties in question was paid by farmer checkoffs in the first place. Is Secan prepared to share the gains? Essentially we have a system that allows some players to patent product developed by others.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          Another issue that should be addressed, rather than gloating over the shakedown, is how much of the development costs of the varieties in question was paid by farmer checkoffs in the first place. Is Secan prepared to share the gains? Essentially we have a system that allows some players to patent product developed by others.
          Exactly. The same scenario where grower funding developed westar canola and then Monsanto added their genetics and patented it.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
            Was wondering if a farmer gets his farming custom done as many Farmers(landlords) do are they liable if the customer farmer supplies the seed on owners land as part of the deal? When no names are included and a large fine involved, I wonder if this whole thing isn't being used as an example or is it being used to set a precedence for future challenges and infringements.
            Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by redleaf View Post
              Exactly. The same scenario where grower funding developed westar canola and then Monsanto added their genetics and patented it.
              Monsanto patented their gene event GT73 (cp4 epsps aroA:CP4) within canola, not canola or their genetics.

Now I know you guys are far too busy talking about things you know nothing about like epidemiology and infection control, but what are you as farmers doing about soon to be off patent traits like GT73? Just going to keep whining about the price of seed?

Comment

Look a little deeper it wasn't a little farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                  Look a little deeper it wasn't a little farmer.
                  Maybe even communal living perhaps.

Comment

Y'all too busy participating in the White Power conference in Florida to discuss off patent herbicide tolerance seed owned by farmers?

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                      Y'all too busy participating in the White Power conference in Florida to discuss off patent herbicide tolerance seed owned by farmers?

Not to change the subject but I wonder why there are 240 soybean varieties with novel trait up for cancellation?

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plant-varieties/variety-registration/registered-varieties-and-cancellations/registration-cancellations/eng/1410971290935/1410971291748 https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plant-varieties/variety-registration/registered-varieties-and-cancellations/registration-cancellations/eng/1410971290935/1410971291748

Comment

Can you give us an example of a farmer gr
                        oup that is making that work under similar situation?

Or do you just like to needle?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                          Can you give us an example of a farmer gr
                          oup that is making that work under similar situation?

Or do you just like to needle?
                          So you have to have a working example before you realize the millions you could save by creating your own herbicide tolerant canola variety?

But since you asked, KSU and the KWIC. Most wheat grown in Kansas is farmer owned/controlled/inspired varieties.

https://agriculture.ks.gov/docs/default-source/ag-growth-summit/january-2018-documents/wheat-sector.pdf https://agriculture.ks.gov/docs/default-source/ag-growth-summit/january-2018-documents/wheat-sector.pdf

I do also like to needle because if you can't see the opportunity here, then there truly is no hope for ya.

Comment

So you have to have a working example before you realize the millions you could save by creating your own herbicide tolerant canola variety?

But since you asked, KSU and the KWIC. Most wheat grown in Kansas is farmer owned/controlled/inspired varieties.

https://agriculture.ks.gov/docs/default-source/ag-growth-summit/january-2018-documents/wheat-sector.pdf https://agriculture.ks.gov/docs/default-source/ag-growth-summit/january-2018-documents/wheat-sector.pdf

I do also like to needle because if you can't see the opportunity here, then there truly is no hope for ya.
                            What’s the rate of certified seed used in Kansas?

Comment

Originally posted by saskcanfarmer View Post
                              What’s the rate of certified seed used in Kansas?
                              Something like 80% of the varieties grown are from the joint ownership between farmers and university. Certified seed isn't a problem if you own the rights. Then all you're paying for is really good, inspected and clean seed - which you would be paying for anyway to make really good seed. KSU will do custom germplasm development as well.

I seriously doubt the big seed companies have anything to worry about. Farmers are way too lazy in Canada to do anything like saving millions and having their own HT canola - because that makes good business sense. Better to spend time arguing and losing against rules that the CSTA can dream up to hold your nuts to the fire.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...