• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake Chicken

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Chicken

How do guys in their basement start businesses like this? Oh its backed by Bill Gates again. Surprise.

The livestock people need to really be aware of whats coming their way and after 2020, you shouldnt dismiss what they can get away with. And the argument that people wont eat it doesnt really hold water. People already eat crap and barely know the difference. The urban crowd is so disconnected from the world they would do anything govt or business push in front of their faces. Even my own kids love hot dogs and chicken nuggets and fast food burgers and wouldnt touch a steak or my wifes home made burgers.

I hope lab grown durum and canola isnt being worked on in some kids basement.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/03/01/the-multibillion-dollar-company-selling-world-first-lab-grown-chicken.html The multibillion-dollar company selling world-first lab-grown chicken

Doesn't really matter if you like it or not people are eating differently than they did in the past and I see this as an opportunity for a business. I had a grilled "cheeze" for lunch made with chick peas...and it was good. Never would have entered my mind 20 years ago.

Comment

I dunno. There is a big movement of eat local and eat real food. So at the same time as the ppl fearing for animals lives and having skewed views on commodity agriculture, there are a lot of ppl wanting a connection with a farmer, and are supportive.

Easy to say on lamb delivery day to the big city. I never felt appreciated as a farmer as I do when I walk up the steps with a box of lamb and am met by folks with a big smile and a bunch of questions and true appreciation for what it is we do. It’s the coolest thing.

My point is, I don’t think these fake meats are a threat at all, especially in certain business models of non commodity ag.

Comment

The fake foods movement is real and should be very concerning for feed grain and animal farmers. Govt will make sure that animal meat becomes so expensive that the fake options are far cheaper and promoted as healthier. The movement to imitation everything is scary and everyday I see more and more “impossible” meat eaters in our staff lunch room.

Sure there will those folks loving a fresh lamb or aged beef steak but I guarantee that there will be many less of those in the younger generation. Brainwashed and oblivious.

Comment

Wait fake bread, then fake oil then fakes everything. Were doing this is about killing ag and we are the next victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            My point is, I don’t think these fake meats are a threat at all, especially in certain business models of non commodity ag.
            Make the bigger link up Sheep. Climate change to animal ag to ethical food and you can get the people in the cities to eat anything so long as they think they are saving the planet. Adding another super processed food to the list isnt going to be a big hurdle for most.

meat is the next oil imo. A big easy target for the woke.

Comment

Economic Theory - we buy what is cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                Economic Theory - we buy what is cheaper.
                Put a little inflation into the food supply, a carbon and ESG tax on meat and boom, you have a mass switch. It will be easier to switch people to fake food than to EVs.

Has anyone asked what ingredients are in chicken nuggets or chicken fingers or hot dogs yet they fly off the shelves faster than real meat.

Any farmer should spend a day in the grocery store and see what people actually buy.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Make the bigger link up Sheep. Climate change to animal ag to ethical food and you can get the people in the cities to eat anything so long as they think they are saving the planet. Adding another super processed food to the list isnt going to be a big hurdle for most.

meat is the next oil imo. A big easy target for the woke.
                  Yeah I TOTALLY get your point. I just think the pool of woke is much smaller than what you feel. And I admit, my experience is in Saskatchewan, which is different than trona or L.A.

I see some threat in commodity meats. But not that much. I think there are far fewer woke peta types than we sometimes imagine.

We as farmers must get our story out. There are lots of farmers much more media savvy than me with huge followings on Twitter, on youtube, etc. We need to fight back with reality!

Comment

Yeah I TOTALLY get your point. I just think the pool of woke is much smaller than what you feel. And I admit, my experience is in Saskatchewan, which is different than trona or L.A.

I see some threat in commodity meats. But not that much. I think there are far fewer woke peta types than we sometimes imagine.

We as farmers must get our story out. There are lots of farmers much more media savvy than me with huge followings on Twitter, on youtube, etc. We need to fight back with reality!
                    My daughter lives in Toronto, when the shutdown happened in March the meats shelf at her Sobey's was empty in 24 hrs. The city is still shut down but people drive 30 mins outside of city to out of town diners. Don't think their doing that for tofu and chicken mcnuggets.

Comment

All this fake stuff started when women started admitted they faked their orgasms and then everyone jumped on board.

Sarcastic remark if you didn't get it.

When Harry met Sally.

Comment

In my observation around the world with increased wealth, meat consumption increases. In places like India many are vegetarian only because they cant afford much meat. As long as animal agriculture continue to produce product that maintains consumer confidence, meat consumption will always be here. It will be interesting to see the competition in the meat byproduct products. If the labels say beef and or chicken, pork etc. the fake meats are going to have a place if they are competitive. Mock chicken nuggets is not what we aspire too. How does that compare to the fowl supper meal in the fall ?

Comment

Was thinking while feeding this morning. So the other thing is that the woke among us either already don’t eat meat at all, and are scared of gmo for example already, etc. If one is scared of gmo, they for sure will be out of the market for fake meat. In fact I would argue, that the meat eaters among them will stick with real meat due to this fear.

As well, the woke ppl don’t reproduce very strongly, they are too about themselves so they have a single kid, maybe two if they make a mistake and think of others ahead of themselves more than the one time. IMO, meat eaters are the breeders, the practical and common sense non wokers are still breeding, so longer term, the woke will under breed and therefore die out over time, or be overwhelmed by us breeders.

Just a theory, lol
                          Last edited by Sheepwheat; Mar 2, 2021, 14:22.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...