• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does old money exist in farming?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Then it isn't really the farm that is successful its the other businesses...why drag down profit with a farm?
    Farmers might be more extended these days in general. Hard to pin down where the risky and responsible debt actually is in this business, but its clear that most farmers are much more savvy business men than previous generations. I see farmers doing financial things that my dads generation would consider unthinkable back then. If you wanted diversification that mean cows and sending your wife off to work.

My dad never grew anything but wheat and fallow. First yr I started farming that changed and we added lentils and flax into the rotation. Some guys were making big bank on pulses since the 70s before they were widely adopted. Likewise with the canola hybrids. Now canola is seeded right to the US border.

Farmers also got so much better at marketing as well when the CWB got its mercy killing.

And in my opinion, no farmer should be afraid of the stock market after the risk we go through to grow a crop but there are still guys that wont put a dime in there. You should at least hold stock in the companies you support like your bank and Nutrien and Sleepy Rail.
    Last edited by jazz; Feb 27, 2021, 09:36.

Comment

Interesting discussion. Here is a question: what does a 25 yr old with a bit of entreprenuerial gambit and several thousand saved up do today? Assuming that he is not born into assets or have a lot of good connections. One thing that has changed is that assets that have a proven track record of making money are never sold any more since interest rate manipulation ensures that there is no alternative investment available. The obvious example is that good land never comes on the market any more. Mediocre stuff does and a bunch has shifted recently due to the covid inflation mini boom that we are it now. Even Warren Buffet has resorted to buying Berkshire stock back since they can't find anything to invest in at the moment.

Comment

I love this subject it’s like taking and cashing in old 1000 dollar bills.

Is a reset coming it sure seems like 1981 all over again.

Comment

Thinking back to the help I got when I bought my first quarter of land, and first cows.
          I would have been about 19ish when I bought the first cows, no assets to my name. Full time job as an apprentice mechanic. I borrowed the money with the intention of building some credit, then payed it back using work income. A year later the quarter of land next door came up for sale.

Dad came with me to meet the realtor, and didn't discourage the decision, so both those were a big help.

My grandma loaned me the down payment with interest at the going rate, which I paid back with work income including the interest within a year or two, I forget. That is certainly a hand up that wouldn't be available to all, and was much appreciated.

My employer provided a letter proving that I was gainfully employed, and would be as long as I wanted to be. That was a massive help, and was all the bank required for collateral.

Living at home, unofficially exchanging labour (which isn't really labor when you enjoy it) for room and board and use of equipment was also a huge help, allowing me to reinvest all of my work income back into the farm, paying down the mortgage in a panic. Didn't get much sleep, working as much as 400 hours a month, then coming home to put in another full day of work.

Bought the next quarter 2 or 3 years later, using equity built up in the first as collateral
          Didn't obtain any significant income from the farm, none for quite a few years, since there really wasn't much, BSE hit, health issues, weather, I was building equity for the long term plan, so that was acceptable in the short term, off farm income was paying for it all. Understanding employer who himself wanted to, and tried to farm helped a lot. As long as the work got done when it needed to be done, no one cared if I worked all night and farmed all day, and was available 24/7.

Paid for those in a couple of years, bought 2 more using the equity, sold a couple of subdivisions, and used that to buy another. All arms length deals. By this time land is up to $200,000+ per quarter.

Only after that were we finally able to make a non arms length deal on the 3 quarters of the home farm. With a discount to full market value, and internal financing. The terms were accepted, not negotiated, so as to appease the non farming siblings( long story, don't go there, as it turned out, nothing short of gifting the land to them was acceptable). So I suppose that is old money at work. Those two terms would not have been available to anyone with non farming parents.

By this time, (10 years ago) I was mostly farming full time, health issues on my part( turns out no sleep and non stop work takes its toll), and parents health didn't leave much choice. Only after that did we finally start to see income from the farm. Which we have continued to put back into buying more land. Continuing to get by on the bare minimum in equipment expenses. As of today, the arms length purchases outnumber the non arms length by 4 times.
          Edit to add that somewhere in there I found time to obtain an engineering degree 2 hours away when health issues were making the previous career choice and possiibly even farming look non viable, then pursued that career as a side project. Plenty of academic scholarships helped that cause.
          So looking back through that, we definitely did have more help than I'd like to admit. Not sure if any of that qualifies as old money though?
          And the biggest help being the skills and opportunities that come from growing up on a farm with hard working parents, regardless of scale or profit or equipment.
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Feb 27, 2021, 11:16.

Comment

"And the biggest help being the skills and opportunities that come from growing up on a farm with hard working parents, regardless of scale or profit or equipment."

Agree and SIZE is not the only indicator of successful. A good life is huge in terms of satisfaction and happiness, even longevity. In the end, what matters?

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              Interesting discussion. Here is a question: what does a 25 yr old with a bit of entreprenuerial gambit and several thousand saved up do today?
              IMHO education is a waste of money these days. Unless you go for the big money as a doctor or lawyer or something like that. Any lower tier wage positions, educated or not will be facing down a lot of taxation and inflation in the future with no way to rise above it or offset it. After covid, these companies are running super lean and thats not going back to the way it was.

Skilled trades have a place and are a mobile profession if needed. Highly skilled professions especially in tech will face pressures from automation and outsourcing.

Buys assets as soon you can, preferably something that pays you too, and hold on.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                Even Warren Buffet has resorted to buying Berkshire stock back since they can't find anything to invest in at the moment.
                Interesting you mention Buffet today. Here he is with his newsletter.

https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/editorialfiles/2021/02/27/2020ltr.pdf

Some very good comments on assets, fixed assets, asset heavy businesses as well as his view of energy especially the electric grid, its necessary expansion and the huge obstacles it faces. Comments on anyone betting on fixed income as well.
                Last edited by jazz; Feb 27, 2021, 12:10.

Comment

I would bet there’s more new money pushing the land prices.

Comment

Explain new money please

New capital investors helping BTOs out?

Comment

Buffet is just building his war chest for when the next meltdown comes he can snap up some deals. Buy low sell High, he's a sly old dog.

Comment

Many good stories.
                        To A5s question.
                        If you define old money as 1950s dollars in competition with yours
                        then yes, very little.
                        However, I am personally familiar
                        with one operation that qualifies.
                        Depression era couple has six sons.
                        Builds land base six times avg during
                        50s and 60s. Bachelor sons inherit it all. Still in operation by nephew.
                        But ya, not really competition.

Comment

Land prices here being pushed by
                          multi family, multi generational,
                          multi business operations.
                          The largest operator in
                          two counties just moved his son
                          next door. Whole farms gone at $5000/ac.

Comment

SF, I mean young guys who hit a home run in oil, bitcoin, selling companies, Foreign backers. Around here, its a mystery how some are swinging wildly at every bit of ground offered.

Comment

Because of this my beneficiary
                              may not get any old money to farm with.
                              Seems like a good time to end the
                              dream.

Comment

One of the recurring themes seems to be the word, “bachelor”... lol

It does cost more than a few cents to raise a family. Sometimes bachelors are perfectly happy on their own I suppose. But all the money on the planet can’t buy the joy a family brings, that’s for sure!

I was a very short term bachelor, and I gotta say, it was the time I had the most cash to potentially spend that’s for sure, even with a real small farm at that time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...