• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

-8c in texas ...thats gotta be a marketing topic?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-8c in texas ...thats gotta be a marketing topic?

Any thoughts on the impact of that cold snap???

Looks very cold down there till Friday.

Should at least get attention from small novice speculators paying for thier education in commodity futures.

Might give Wheat a chance to join the party.

Is the party still on?

Comment

Will the wheat be worked under an seeded to something else...Minus -8 has to do some damage

Comment

I’m gonna go with I doubt it bucket. That stuff has a hundred lives. Even when we grew winter wheat here the biggest risk of kill was in the end of April into May.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
          I’m gonna go with I doubt it bucket. That stuff has a hundred lives. Even when we grew winter wheat here the biggest risk of kill was in the end of April into May.
          Particularly if there is some snow that stays on top of it. Then it is likely the moisture does more good than the cold does harm.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
            Heard that before, but this is pretty cold with a quick change...if it had come out of dormancy and actively growing is the question/unknown..

I just thought it would be something to talk about before the market opens tomorrow .

Comment

USA winter wheat doesn't move market as much as it did in the past. Black Sea seems to have a bigger influence one the wheat market. The biggest difference of coarse is the FSU production which has increased.

Wheat is grown everywhere as well so one area hurting doesn't have the same effect like it did 10-15 years ago.

But, hopefully it does get a kick start.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                USA winter wheat doesn't move market as much as it did in the past. Black Sea seems to have a bigger influence one the wheat market. The biggest difference of coarse is the FSU production which has increased.

Wheat is grown everywhere as well so one area hurting doesn't have the same effect like it did 10-15 years ago.

But, hopefully it does get a kick start.
                True but couple that with the Russian export tax??? Any cummulative effects of a tax and a cold snap?

Remember we have lost markets with a tweet from bobblehead Freeland..so anything can affect the markets from stupidity (Freeland) to cold weather, export taxes, color of the presidents hair, anything really..

And yet the world can't help feed the humantarian crisis in Yemen.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  True but couple that with the Russian export tax??? Any cummulative effects of a tax and a cold snap?

Remember we have lost markets with a tweet from bobblehead Freeland..so anything can affect the markets from stupidity (Freeland) to cold weather, export taxes, color of the presidents hair, anything really..

And yet the world can't help feed the humantarian crisis in Yemen.
                  Russia and Ukraine need cash, they'll dump wheat to get it.

Canada's wheat market has many major buyers, not just one.

Countries have been starving for decades, and it has never had much of an effect on the wheat market anyways. That's a dead horse Bucket. Besides counties with money are the ones buying wheat anyways.

Comment

-20C current temp in okla. Average feb high is around plus 12. minus 27 low for tonite. That’s cold anywhere let alone Oklahoma in mid feb. We could pretend nothing would be said if it was 30 degrees above normal.
                    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Feb 15, 2021, 11:09.

Comment

Rotating black-outs around Houston. Monday is nasty and power company tells residents that they may be without power all day.

Comment

Texas is starting to fill at end of March.

It's a big thick leaf figuring out yield so will be less yield.

But Oklahoma is further behind and still snow from there up.

Spring starts down the south end of march.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          Texas is starting to fill at end of March.

It's a big thick leaf figuring out yield so will be less yield.

But Oklahoma is further behind and still snow from there up.

Spring starts down the south end of march.
                          We have friends in Oklahoma. Average high is at least 12. No snow. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it would be the equivalent time of mid April for us. I’ve grown enough winter wheat to know that a minus 27 in mad April is going to suck. And that’s with our cultivars. I presume their wheats are a bit “softer” than ours?

Regardless, they feel the end of the world has come.

Comment

winter wheat has 9 lives but if it's dry and wrong time they will get paid crap insurance and move on to 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                              winter wheat has 9 lives but if it's dry and wrong time they will get paid crap insurance and move on to 2022.
                              Except their insurance probably isn’t crap. Like somewhere else I know!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.