• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Todays Energy Use

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays Energy Use

I will let AF5 or Hamloc handle this. Dont fully understand the interchange imports.

AB is importing from BC, MB and SK at the same time? Thats a bit bizarre considering parts of Sask without power.

Either way, solar and wind renewables are a bust, even hydro has little reserve capacity under these conditions. Guess frozen water doesnt generate much power.

if it wasnt for coal and gas, there would have been thousands dead this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	779582

Originally posted by jazz View Post
    I will let AF5 or Hamloc handle this. Dont fully understand the interchange imports.

AB is importing from BC, MB and SK at the same time? Thats a bit bizarre considering parts of Sask without power.

Either way, solar and wind renewables are a bust, even hydro has little reserve capacity under these conditions. Guess frozen water doesnt generate much power.

if it wasnt for coal and gas, there would have been thousands dead this week.

[ATTACH]7536[/ATTACH]
    Yes Jazz Alberta does import power from B.C, Montana and Saskatchewan. We get power from Saskatchewan through the Alberta Saskatchewan Intertie line that runs from Swift Current to Ware Junction Substation in Alberta just north of Brooks. It appears that Swift current has a 353 MW natural gas facility, the Chinook Power Station, two wind facilities, 150 mw Centenial Wind, 23 mw Morris Wind, and Coteau Creek Hydro electric 186 mw all tied in to this location. What each of these facilities were producing yesterday I can’t say as I am not aware of a website that shows up to the minute production numbers in Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Power is a provincial crown corporation why doesn’t it have open production reporting like the private production facilities in Alberta?! Good question for Chuck2, our resident fan of all things government!

Comment

Is there a breakdown of Sask energy consumed/used and imported/exported,,, like that was posted above for Alberta? Links anyone???

Comment

On a positive note, wind generation during this bitter cold spell has been much better than the past ones we have watched. Hovering a surprisingly consistent ~15% of capacity. With usually only about 18 out of 23 wind farms producing 0 or almost 0. That is much better than the previous cold calm where they all produced 0 for most of a week. Coinciding with the highest demand period. Supposed to warm up to 0 by early next week, wind should blow, demand will drop, as usual.

As for reporting, I'm actually surprised this info is publicly available in AB, it really ruins the narrative of the politicians and the eco loons to allow people with math skills to access the reality. No wonder Sask doesn't want to reveal it.

But on the other hand, some of these are privately owned. Imagine having your actual production of your farm posted for all the world to see. Would sure put a damper on coffee shop yield talk...

Comment

I spoke too soon. Low of -33 for tonight. As of right now, wind power is putting out a grand total of zero.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            I spoke too soon. Low of -33 for tonight. As of right now, wind power is putting out a grand total of zero.
            -33C and wind power is producing 0%, sounds like renewables are worthwhile investments in the prairies. 🤡
            Last edited by Oliver88; Feb 12, 2021, 23:07.

Comment

Some interesting numbers. Chuck2 is a big fan of hydrogen. So I did a little digging. One kg of hydrogen is equivalent in energy to one American gallon of gasoline. It takes 53 kwh of electricity to convert 2.4 gallons of distilled water into one kg of hydrogen. The average Albertan consumes 1.1 American gallon of gas per day so let’s see how much electricity it would take to replace this gasoline with hydrogen. 53 kwh x 1.1 x 365 = 21279.5 kwh of electricity annually per Alberta to replace existing gasoline consumption with an equivalent amount of hydrogen. At present we consume 2394 kwh of electricity annually per Albertan. Looks like it might take a solar panel or two. Just more proof that green activists can’t do rudimentary math! Almost 10 times as much electricity to produce hydrogen as we use in Alberta now and this did not include replacing diesel fuel!’

Comment

And Alberta is looking at hydrogen too. If Alberta is interested it must be worth considering don't you think? LOL

Toyota is planning on all hydrogen vehicles. They already have one you can buy. Several heavy equipment builders are looking at hydrogen as a source of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  And Alberta is looking at hydrogen too. If Alberta is interested it must be worth considering don't you think? LOL

Toyota is planning on all hydrogen vehicles. They already have one you can buy. Several heavy equipment builders are looking at hydrogen as a source of fuel.
                  So math doesn't matter.

Hamlocs numbers closely match the lower end of the 10% efficiency we posted a few days ago for round trip hydrogen fuel conversion.

Comment

"lol" , wtf ?

Comment

a neighbour got woke and put in some chinese solar panels
                      he is getting SFA out of them , said they won't pay for themselves in 30 years

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        "lol" , wtf ?
                        Not sure why someone so bitter and resentful ends every sentence by sending Lots Of Love?

Comment

Bitter and resentfull? Are you talking about yourself? I am neither.

Its just funny that Alberta is embracing renewables and looking at hydrogen and a few mal contents see new innovative technology and economic activity as the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            a neighbour got woke and put in some chinese solar panels
                            he is getting SFA out of them , said they won't pay for themselves in 30 years
                            Does he sweep the snow off? Mine are working great in this dry sunny weather. Short days are getting longer!

Comment

Bitter and resentfull? I am neither.
                              Well then, the Lots of Love comment makes lots of sense. Please continue.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...