• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power off most of Northeast Sask at -50 windchill , carbon tax ?????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forage his farm is less than 40 miles from a major power plant.

Comment

Word here was we had near zero pressure in gas distribution lines on Monday.
      No much industry to shut down around here.

Comment

Originally posted by therealnorthernf View Post
        after the last power outage of 18 hrs, we have gotten a Generac backup power generator, hope to have the install finished once this cold snap ends.. We have been lucky, our gas fireplace doesn't need any electricity to fire up..

I have been told by a Sask Power supervisor that if EVs really do come on stream like the gov't wants(2030) the power grid won't handle it... Upgrades are needed now, never mind about the doubling of electricity use with the EVs
        What size of Generac is required for a typical house?

Comment

The wood stove keeps the house warm and can boil water or heat up soup and have even roasted hot dogs on it.

Leafcutter bees are kept in a shop at 5 degrees and when it -40 and windy that 5 degree shop can drop below 0 really fast when the power goes off! Going to need a back up.

Looking on Twitter today there was more than just us in the NE that lost power!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            spent most of the morning on a trial run for keeping 3 houses and 2 shops from freezing , so when the big one comes , and it will, we will be ready
            case, is the big one the next storm or the cyber attack on the power grid that the clowns at the WEF keep talking about.

Can you imagine having to prepare for the weather, the stupidity of our own politicians and the downright evil of these unelected idiots.

Comment

Re; generac
              Does it sit outside?
              Will it start at -40 ?
              Will it run on gasoline or diesel as well ?
              Natural gas will run without power ,but a few years ago an area between Melfort and kinistino had no NG for a week .I wonder what would happen if an ice storm took out a bunch of power and all of a sudden NG is powering half the homes as well as heating them ?
              Costco has sold a lot of NG generators
              A line had burst under a muskeg slough at that time and it took nearly a week to repair
              Really interested in one if you don’t mind answering some questions

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                What size of Generac is required for a typical house?
                I don't think I'd want to do a house on less than 5000, but you'll need more than that if you have an electric range/stove or electric hot water. That'd run a forced air furnace, fridge, a few lights, and some extra's.

Remember it's not just additive for all the appliances that you want to use. Anything with an electric motor requires a buffer to cover the inrush at startup. Larger the motor, the larger the buffer needed. That's fridges, air conditioners, forced air furnaces, air compressors, etc...

Comment

These linemen who work in conditions like this are hero's, up a pole in the wind and one mistake, you get to see most of your past friends and relatives again.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                    Sounds the shits Caseih, wouldn't want to be in yours shoes. We were just discussing how Sask should be buying more Hydro from Manitoba on a thread last week.

I think you'd better give a call to local MLA ,MP, and Moe advising them to give Pallister a call and get those lines built.

Best of luck!
                    Unfortunately rural Saskatchewan isn’t high on moes list
                    I liked that idea of putting a high line in from Alberta to Churchill with a gas and oil pipe line under it
                    Would make perfect sense to buy whatever power we need from MB to me

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
                      These linemen who work in conditions like this are hero's, up a pole in the wind and one mistake, you get to see most of your past friends and relatives again.
                      Are they ever !!!!
                      Was -38 with a 25-30 mph wind
                      Can you imagine hanging off a pole 25’ in the air in this shit ?
                      Kinda like a Derrick hand standing in a monkey board in this shit while some unappreciative prick tells them they don’t need fossil fuels
                      Last edited by Guest; Feb 11, 2021, 16:51.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                        Hamloc, here is Case's quote:

Since Sask Power employees do not charge a carbon tax, only collect it on behalf of the federal government, I did not realize it was the Sask Power employee who he was referring to as an imbecile and who will have to explain to the human rights....

My mistake, I misinterpreted who case was referring to. Glad you straightened out what he meant.
                        Umm, you’re losing ground my good man , not helping your case at all

Comment

Summer 2021 startup?

https://www.saskpower.com/Our-Power-Future/Infrastructure-Projects/Construction-Projects/Current-Projects/Birtle-to-Tantallon-Power-Line-Project https://www.saskpower.com/Our-Power-Future/Infrastructure-Projects/Construction-Projects/Current-Projects/Birtle-to-Tantallon-Power-Line-Project

Comment

I would sure see Saskatchewan power buy from Mb than ND

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              Re; generac
                              Does it sit outside?
                              Will it start at -40 ?
                              Will it run on gasoline or diesel as well ?
                              Natural gas will run without power ,but a few years ago an area between Melfort and kinistino had no NG for a week .I wonder what would happen if an ice storm took out a bunch of power and all of a sudden NG is powering half the homes as well as heating them ?
                              Costco has sold a lot of NG generators
                              A line had burst under a muskeg slough at that time and it took nearly a week to repair
                              Really interested in one if you don’t mind answering some questions
                              yep is sits 18'' away from our house, ours is about 5' from the gas meter..
                              it is suppose to start uses a car battery that has a battery warmer, option to get an engine heater and air intake heater..
                              dual fuel. either NG or propane

there are ones that will run on diesel, but then I would think jelling maybe an issue.

I'd recommend a larger generator then needed, it is more efficient to have it running 1/2 speed then full out all the time.

we needed 13-16000 to run everything in our house.. AC and oven included.. we got a 20,000

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                                I don't think I'd want to do a house on less than 5000, but you'll need more than that if you have an electric range/stove or electric hot water. That'd run a forced air furnace, fridge, a few lights, and some extra's.

Remember it's not just additive for all the appliances that you want to use. Anything with an electric motor requires a buffer to cover the inrush at startup. Larger the motor, the larger the buffer needed. That's fridges, air conditioners, forced air furnaces, air compressors, etc...
                                I think 7500 would be the minimum and I sure wouldn't use a generator... I'd only use an Inverter generator so the delicate electronics in your furnace, fridge, tvs and computers don't get fried...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...