• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sales reporting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales reporting

Weber is supposed to be on Sask. CBC radio this afternoon between 4:00 and 6:00 to talk about the lack of sales reporting in Canada. Hopefully this issue gets some traction but I am just not sure if anyone listens to CBC radio.

Thanks Larry for trying to explain the situation.

I am not sure if Garth really understood what you were getting at but the more it get talks about the better!

Comment

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-103-the-afternoon-edition-sask/clip/15823573-commodity-analyst-larry-weber-current-state-canola-market

Comment

Did I hear a CWB’er in there?.....

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
          Did I hear a CWB’er in there?.....
          Yes Larry did mention the CWB and how farmers were kept completely in the dark. Much like it is now but with grain companies.

Comment

The big thing to remember is that grain has to move out of this place in an orderly fashion. Otherwise the carryout will catch up with the producer. So it is not quite as simple as deciding not to sell physical in a timely manner. Can't haul it all in one day.
            The biggest advantage to knowing that there are good sales on the books would be an opportunity to decide whether to spend a bit of money to keep the upside open. Fully priced canola sold the first part of October could have been replaced with a call option for March. Sold on Feb 5/21 that option would have added over $100/t to that October sale.
            Now if that October delivered canola was priced back in summer 2020 it could still have been done. The total returns would have been similar. That October $10 sale would have turned into $13.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              Yes Larry did mention the CWB and how farmers were kept completely in the dark. Much like it is now but with grain companies.
              I just found it funny that damn CWB always comes up....

Weber took the time out of his day to open the can of worms, what can we do to help push it along?

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                I just found it funny that damn CWB always comes up....

Weber took the time out of his day to open the can of worms, what can we do to help push it along?
                At Alberta Seed Growers AGM last week we passed a Resolution that the Fed Ag Dept report sales at least weekly [like USDA] for more grain sales transparency... SK has requested similar reporting...

Cheers

Comment

It sure would be nice to see our checkoff money spent on lobbying for this and carbon sequestering...

Considering that is what farmers asked for through resolutions at the AGMS.

What good does a new variety do for you if you lose 150 bucks an acre in lack of transparency in the market? ????

Thank you Mr. Weber for pushing this in media....farmers have to start being more engaged on this .

Call your MPS that are still patting themselves on the back for the open market...how about finishing the job.

Comment

Does anyone (Tom) have the exact wording of the “sales reporting resolution”?

Comment

I have said that since the beginning of Agriville. We need to know as farmers what's going on with Sales.

We are now like Mushrooms living on Bullshit and in the Dark.

Comment

I didn't catch the whole thing but Larry said someting about getting the ball rolling earlier and now we had to keep it going and not let it drift away.

He did a great job as always but I think we all have to point out that that money is what makes the whole economy go around and is especialy important in these Covid times to keep money going around localy.
                        Tell them what they want to hear and that everybody gets thier share.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                          Transparency or lack of, was one of the major topics in CWB debate and how markets were going to be so much more transparent in an open market. Some people just laughed others believed it would.

Comment

Thanks larry !

Comment

As an example, a farmer has 200000 bus of Canola probably is either out at 12 or has maybe 20% left.

If he knew in Fall sales were happening at such a strong amount he would hold back as long as he could.

Maybe 3/4 left to move at 16 or higher.

The cash difference is $440,000 extra in a farmer's pocket.

Just for knowing what the Grain Companies were doing.

We as farmers would spend that on STuff making the Canadian economy stronger. Now it goes to grain company profits. Most Private family companies.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...