• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon credits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon credits

So reading about the federal government's proposal this pops up

Ultimately, if a farm practice is determined to be eligible for credits, the official says carbon credit trades would be negotiated between the party generating the credits and interested buyers, and would be recorded in ECCC’s tracking system.

So my emissions tax is set by government but my sequestering is a market based credit(puke) and oversight by government?????????

We are so phucked.

Why doesn't the government set their carbon tax of the price off the carbon market exchange????

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Why doesn't the government set their carbon tax of the price off the carbon market exchange????
      Forget carbon credits bucket. Anyone signing up to that program will invite so much scrutiny of their farm it will be unimaginable. It will be doled out like candy. Were you a good boy and didnt use and chem this year? CC for you. Oh you used gly, bad boy, no CC and now pay a tariff on your crop.

We need to be as far away from our govt as we can possibly be.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Forget carbon credits bucket. Anyone signing up to that program will invite so much scrutiny of their farm it will be unimaginable. It will be doled out like candy. Were you a good boy and didnt use and chem this year? CC for you. Oh you used gly, bad boy, no CC and now pay a tariff on your crop.

We need to be as far away from our govt as we can possibly be.
        In my stupid opinion its pretty simple....You do what you have been doing ...I will use my farm as an example...

at a minimum I have been using a no till disc drill for 10 years some land longer

I had a weak moment and bought a hoe drill.

Any way I submit my seeded acres year in and year out so SCIC can determine my seeding intensity and the crops I grow . This information can be used to determine my tonne per acre sequestering...government sets the price on carbon...SO....the formula is seeding intensity X acres X tonnes sequestered X price of carbon = payment to farmers..

Then the government through SCIC or the ECCC can go find the market for the credits if its such a good plan...

Not sure why using glyphosate as a burnoff would be a problem nor growing RR crops...

I can see the issue of preharvest on some crops but that isn't a carbon sequestering issue...

Problem is bureaucrats will complicate , as an example

“Development of all protocols in the federal GHG offset system will be informed through the input of technical expert teams and learnings from existing quantification methodologies in other offset programs,” says the ECCC official. “Various existing offset programs (for example, at the provincial level and in other countries) have quantified soil organic carbon levels through modelling, direct measurement, or a combination of modelling and direct measurement. A wide variety of models and direct measurement procedures are available for review during protocol development.”

Comment

Don't think the govt wants to write any checks on the deal just collect the cash. Zerotill, hay ground and pasture would put most guys on plus side of program. Eye in the sky already knows our farming practices so easy to check up on. hmmmm wonder if they have spotted D8 pushing bush for me yet ?

Comment

And I really like this from ECCC ....

An official with ECCC says for any activity to generate a credit, there would have to be “real, additional, quantified, verified, unique, and permanent” greenhouse gas reductions.

“As such, any agriculture-related conservation activities or management practices would need to be above and beyond business-as-usual, including any relevant legal requirements, not be covered by carbon pollution pricing, and would need to follow an approved quantification protocol,”

I wonder if they know the science on sequestering has been monitored for a very long time by SSCA?

And what does " not be covered by carbon pollution pricing " mean????

phuck they can complicate things.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
              Don't think the govt wants to write any checks on the deal just collect the cash. Zerotill, hay ground and pasture would put most guys on plus side of program. Eye in the sky already knows our farming practices so easy to check up on. hmmmm wonder if they have spotted D8 pushing bush for me yet ?
              Not to be a jerk here but the irrigation guys with their potato and bean crops would have a fee to pay for their high tilling of their ground...their seeding intensity would be considerably less....OH OH , there is a can of worms ...two more companies for some farms to make sure they can scam the system...and make it look like their land it no till with potatoes and beans.

Comment

Whatever happened to that outfit that milked gullible farmers with their pump the exhaust into the soil strategy? Are they still doing this?

Comment

Bucket, in 2014-15, almost 25% of my farm was flooded and turned into temporary wetlands with 10ft high cattails in some spots. Without the sprayer and the shovels those areas would have remained out of production for yrs longer. Most of it took almost 3 yrs to return to production and somehow we survived on a smaller land base.

There is no way we can agree to non disturbance of land just to get some measly CCs.

Comment

Easy to check up on spud guys,Simplot and McCain foods have reps check fields every week tell when to spray and water. Spud guys get paid very well even with tight controls.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      Bucket, in 2014-15, almost 25% of my farm was flooded and turned into temporary wetlands with 10ft high cattails in some spots. Without the sprayer and the shovels those areas would have remained out of production for yrs longer. Most of it took almost 3 yrs to return to production and somehow we survived on a smaller land base.

There is no way we can agree to non disturbance of land just to get some measly CCs.
                      I think you should have been paid to grow a crop of cattails....its still sequestering carbon...a quick mow or baled and a one pass with the drill....either way you were sequestering even in the wet years...in reality you should have been paid for sequestering...

A crop of cattails probably sequesters as much as a crop of wheat...besides they really make good bedding for the cows...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        I think you should have been paid to grow a crop of cattails....its still sequestering carbon...a quick mow or baled and a one pass with the drill....either way you were sequestering even in the wet years...in reality you should have been paid for sequestering...

A crop of cattails probably sequesters as much as a crop of wheat...besides they really make good bedding for the cows...
                        Bucket I appreciate where you are going with your desire for carbon credits. My concern is that it would be like most government programs, you sign up and start collecting the proceeds, a few years down the road you are audited and you end up having to pay most of it back. Or you get a change in government and they decide that you are no longer eligible. What happens if you have a wet year and your fields are covered in ruts, are you going to farm over the ruts for years or till them up? Many questions. I do agree for farming in Canada to continue there will have to be government compensation for the ever increasing carbon tax!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                          Bucket I appreciate where you are going with your desire for carbon credits. My concern is that it would be like most government programs, you sign up and start collecting the proceeds, a few years down the road you are audited and you end up having to pay most of it back. Or you get a change in government and they decide that you are no longer eligible. What happens if you have a wet year and your fields are covered in ruts, are you going to farm over the ruts for years or till them up? Many questions. I do agree for farming in Canada to continue there will have to be government compensation for the ever increasing carbon tax!
                          I have considered this ... I would have no problem reporting what I do with my pro till for ruts with the caveat that all the other things you mentioned don't change...

And yes if I think longer.... the phucking government would make the carbon credits a taxable benefit ...

Comment

No *** doubt they would
                            Anyone that would think they could charge GST on a carbon tax ... and get away with it , well , the sky is the limit ?
                            Even sheeple like chuck and Dml must have trouble with that little detail ?

Comment

"What happens if you have a wet year and your fields are covered in ruts, are you going to farm over the ruts for years or till them up?"

I bet at that point we will be MANDATED to turn the land over to nature, will be deemed non-ag. Go away farmer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.