• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revesrse thinking today...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revesrse thinking today...

Been paying attention to commercials about Generac....so here is the question...

Could you use the technology to use your own power until it declines enough that it would switch to grid power?????

And could it reduce grid loads?????
    Last edited by bucket; Jan 24, 2021, 10:18.

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Been paying attention to commercials about Generac....so here is the question...

Could you use the technology to use your own power until it declines enough that it would switch to grid power?????

I was looking at them as well after our last storm. While we were without power for 3 hrs, some were without power for almost 3 days. Made me think I should check into the cost.

The most affordable systems aren't meant to run continuously. They are air cooled and I think have a service life of a few thousand hrs. Which if you only needed it for a few hrs or a couple days in a row would be fine over 20 or 30 years.

I think you would need a liquid cooled generator that is much more robust and hence expensive if you were looking for longterm dependable power.

Comment

I think it could be used as a back up and also a summer time peak shaver to take over AC load in the hottest summer months.

Air cooled might be a problem at those times though.

I think you can actually buy an natural gas powered AC unit or heat pump.

NG has an unholy carbon tax on it versus electric though, but on a pure energy basis, its 3 times cheaper than electricity.

Its good to have alternatives when Klaus Schwab takes down the power grid.
      Last edited by jazz; Jan 24, 2021, 11:01.

Comment

Would be interesting to see how generators work and the cost in the northern communities where they are the only power supply. Less the cost of getting fuel in there. I wonder if they capture the heat generated from generator to heat any thing else?

Comment

I think boils down to the same problem, you need storage. If you are gonna run a generator it made as well run at full capacity, excess over use should be banked. Same on the renewable side, and if production is only half of need you dont want to shut the half part down. Basically the design of an RV electrical system is the way to go just scaled up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...