• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here we go again

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again

As Joe Biden and Justin Trudeau both try to push more and more oil workers onto the unemployment line I am fortunate enough that feeding my cattle keeps me working. Last few days our warm weather has disappeared and the cows are far more anxious to see me each day as temperatures are decidedly colder. The last few years one thing I have started doing when the weather turns in winter is watch which forms of electrical generation in Alberta are keeping my lights on. True to form both wind and solar the last 2 days have produced very little, certainly true to form during a cold still winter air mass. But I will say this both have managed to peak out at 10% efficiency producing almost 2% of Alberta’s electricity. I wish I was smart enough to create a graph that plotted Alberta’s temperature in the winter against renewable power production. I am also curious how many batteries wind turbines can charge when running at less than 10%? And incidentally roughly 94% of our electricity has been coming from fossil fuels the last couple of days, interesting times.

Its really a mindset or ideology to believe in such things....good or bad it doesn't matter....

As an example ...farmers continue to vote for conservative side of politics yet in reality the conservatives phuck them worse and other parties , like the liberals, just say they enjoy being phucked and do nothing...

Farmers continue to vote conservative and when they finally get a conservative government they believe its better....its not...

Just an example of being blinded by ideology....

People have to use the organ between their ears...occasionally...when presented facts like those above in the starting thread...

Wind and solar would have to be built at X times the rated capacity to make any sense at all...with a shorter lifespan of facilities ...it makes little to no sense except in remote areas where the load is less dependant on continuous use...

What would it take in solar power to run Evraz day and night off solar and wind???? it has a dedicated coal plant...

Or is it to shut down the steel plant in Regina as well and continue to buy steel from other countries as mentioned by the Union president the other day on the radio...

And before we get into the anti science rhetoric. ..

I believe in the proven science of sequestering carbon on farmland and the simple fact it should be compensated the same way the environmental people want compensation for my emissions. ...
    Last edited by bucket; Jan 24, 2021, 09:49.

Comment

I've been watching over the same period, and can also say that the only thing reliable about unreliables, is that in our climate and latitude, they will reliably be at their lowest productivity when demand is highest.

Queue chuck to tell us about affordable battery technology that will solve all these problems. You know, like the type he installed to make his grid tied system functional, with his own money...
      Oh ya, I almost forgot, we are the ones paying for his storage in the form of higher electricity prices.

Comment

The only reliable renewable that I know of is hydro. Very easy to vary the output to match demand and as large of storage “battery” as you can engineer. In a country with so much fresh water just flowing to the ocean wouldn’t it make sense to get some usage out of it?

No mining in third world countries for rare minerals and 100+ year lifespan to boot.

Comment

Right now Canada couldn't build a 3 hole outhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            Right now Canada couldn't build a 3 hole outhouse.
            Pretty sure it’s illegal to use them unless they go to a septic tank. Probably not allowed to **** in the bush either.

Victoria’s poo just goes through a 6 mm screen before it gets pumped into the ocean................... and apparently our oil is “dirty”😉

Comment

Wondering what happens when 1B$ of lithium ion batteries meet a 9 ricter earthquake in California... or tsunami... or Iranian nuke hunting for Trump! Golfing could become a very hazardous sport!!!

Forgot... The CIA and FBI will just blame Iran...
              Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jan 25, 2021, 02:17.

Comment

As I eat my breakfast I check the AESO supply and demand page. Alberta is using 10899 megawatts when I look. Of that just over 9600 is coming from coal and natural gas, 776 is being imported from B.C and Montana and 58 megawatts is coming from Alberta’s many wind farms. An amazing 3.25% of capacity!!

In relation to Canada’s inability to build a “3 hole outhouse” here is an interesting article:
                Vancouver sun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-furstenau-doubles-down-on-pre-election-charges-of-site-c-coverup. The fact that this boondoggle was started by the B.C Liberal’s (center right politically) will be the first thing people like Chuck2 will point out. But the B.C Greens have long been in favour of cancelling this project and when John Horgan was first elected he made the decision to continue building this project, now there is more talk of cancelling it. FYI I am certainly a fan of hydroelectric power but like building anything in Canada, very difficult.

Comment

Canada already has a very large amount of hydro capacity.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/electricity-facts/20068 https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/electricity-facts/20068

Click image for larger version

Name:	generation-by-source-electricity_07-2020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	770714

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                    As I eat my breakfast I check the AESO supply and demand page. Alberta is using 10899 megawatts when I look. Of that just over 9600 is coming from coal and natural gas, 776 is being imported from B.C and Montana and 58 megawatts is coming from Alberta’s many wind farms. An amazing 3.25% of capacity!!

In relation to Canada’s inability to build a “3 hole outhouse” here is an interesting article:
                    Vancouver sun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-furstenau-doubles-down-on-pre-election-charges-of-site-c-coverup. The fact that this boondoggle was started by the B.C Liberal’s (center right politically) will be the first thing people like Chuck2 will point out. But the B.C Greens have long been in favour of cancelling this project and when John Horgan was first elected he made the decision to continue building this project, now there is more talk of cancelling it. FYI I am certainly a fan of hydroelectric
                    power but like building anything in Canada, very difficult.
                    you cant be right , alberta transitioned off of coal, chuck said

Comment

Hamloc was surprisingly quiet a few weeks ago when wind was rocking in the chinook with lots of mega watts.

He's just like oneoff who intentionally waits till December when solar production is low to make a challenge between grid tied solar and grid tied flare gas. LOL

We all know wind and solar are intermittent. So to analyse their contributions to reducing fossil energy sources you need to look at longer periods of production than just a few days. A year is good. You also need to recognize that wind and solar generation costs per Mwh are now cheaper than coal or gas according to the AESO.

Apparently Alberta is phasing out coal and adding a lot of wind and solar with natural gas that will cover all your needs.

The AESO says it will work, so you don't have to worry about freezing in the dark after all! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        Canada already has a very large amount of hydro capacity.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/electricity-facts/20068 https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/science-data/data-analysis/energy-data-analysis/energy-facts/electricity-facts/20068

[ATTACH]7477[/ATTACH]
                        This graph shows we're pretty green already. The East has it, trades their carbon credits south, taxes us for having to use coal. Pretty clear. Thanks.

Comment

We should really have more interconnections between provincial grids going east west in Canada instead of north south. Then Saskatchewan and Alberta could green up some of their electricity supply with more hydro imports.

But provincial politicians prefer to invest in province to create more jobs from the resources at hand. Hydro imports send money out of the provincial economy. This is understandable from a political point of view. But with a major focus on a low carbon energy future increasing hydro imports make more sense.

Comment

No way are we taking hydro from quebec until they allow a pipeline through to the coast. Dream on chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                              The only reliable renewable that I know of is hydro. Very easy to vary the output to match demand and as large of storage “battery” as you can engineer. In a country with so much fresh water just flowing to the ocean wouldn’t it make sense to get some usage out of it?

No mining in third world countries for rare minerals and 100+ year lifespan to boot.
                              No new hydro dams will ever be built in this country again. All greenfield hydro dams have had massive cost overruns that are intergenerational.

And no environmentalists or natives will allow it. Site C is the last one you will see.

But Sask could do more with its current facility at lake Dief. without too much fuss.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.