Test Wheat Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Wheat

Test
Jan 23, 2021 | 06:26 1 Let's talk about wheat
Last edited by Bin Lurking; Jan 23, 2021 at 18:11.
Jan 23, 2021 | 07:02 2 What hard red variety is everyone growing this year? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 23, 2021 | 07:09 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    What hard red variety is everyone growing this year?
    None, because not everyone is growing the same variety - duh. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 07:09 4 Good one.

Yea we are growing two new crops.

Wheat Land HRS

AAC Starbuck

Were switching all our major 2021 wheat from Brandon to Alida till we will decide which did better between the top two. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 07:33 5 HRS doesn't like our humid climate here. So very hit and miss, even with the full Monte of sprays.

That said, my nephew grew a field of it in his first year of farming 2 seasons ago and it was the rare, perfect year for wheat/cereals.

Now he thinks growing wheat is wonderful.

That's about the trickiest start a guy could have to a farming enterprise - a roaring success on his first crack at something that most have done and know the pitfalls of it. Reply With Quote

• Jan 23, 2021 | 07:57 6 Anyone remember Snowbird. Hard white variety was grown under limited contracts in CWB days. One of first few higher yielding bread wheats introduced in 2003 or 4. Made good coin @ 70 BPA plus premiums Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 08:58 7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Lurking View Post
    Anyone remember Snowbird. Hard white variety was grown under limited contracts in CWB days. One of first few higher yielding bread wheats introduced in 2003 or 4. Made good coin @ 70 BPA plus premiums
    Cargill ATL Edmonton is looking for contract hard Snowbird white wheat seed and production 2021; Japanese customer likes Snowbird for crackers we are told... Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 09:32 8
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Good one.

Yea we are growing two new crops.

Wheat Land HRS

AAC Starbuck

Were switching all our major 2021 wheat from Brandon to Alida till we will decide which did better between the top two.
    I would caution Alida if you have alot of wind in the fall. It will shell out much easier than any other wheat out there. We left the first 120 acres stand and was 10-15 bpa laying on the ground. The other fields were swathed.

We will go to Leroy and Wheatland next year. Done with ergot infested Landmark. Reply With Quote
    makar's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 10:56 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleton View Post
    What hard red variety is everyone growing this year?
    Trying Zeeland this year. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 11:24 10 We were really happy with our Landmark the last couple of years, Alida was a few bushels behind but might be slightly better for lodging. Will be growing mostly Landmark this year and a few quarters of Starbuck and quarter of Alida, will try to do a yield comparison in one field to get a better comparison. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER3's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 11:26 11 Every time a moron starts a stupid thread change the married to something else. Wheat is a good thread Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 11:28 12 we will stick with titanium , having fairly good luck , always has 14 + px Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 23, 2021 | 12:11 13 I’m going CPS red. Not sure variety yet. Any thoughts on that? For pig barns, or maybe milling. Bids currently close to HRS. I can’t grade HRS most years here in the damp, so may as well grow something that it doesn’t really matter on.

CPS variety thoughts? Been a while since I grew it. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 12:26 14 Wheat can be so region specific.
    Viewfield and Penhold here.
    Hit and miss which margins better.
    Viewfield could push CPS right out. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 12:53 15 No HRS wheat of any variety here this year. Sawfly disaster from last harvest will be prevented from happening again with stronghold durum. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 13:24 16
    Quote Originally Posted by caseih View Post
    we will stick with titanium , having fairly good luck , always has 14 + px
    Funny you should mention that one - titanium.

I've had great success with it.

I have two rods of it bridging L4 and L5 in my back, and 4 titanium screws holding them there until the bone graft fusion took hold.

So ya, I've had really good outcomes with titanium about 6 years now with no failures.

When I die, they won't have to bury me - they'll just turn me in at the scrap yard where they'll get paid by the pound for the metal in my carcass. Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 13:32 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    No HRS wheat of any variety here this year. Sawfly disaster from last harvest will be prevented from happening again with stronghold durum.
    Where's your sense of adventure? It's like harvesting a crop that's gone through 2 or 3 good solid snow falls! And if you have alot of those beauty fist sized rocks that drill packers don't push down very well It's like a guaranteed lottery ticket win to a completely rebuilt combine post harvest... Good god I hate sawfly...
    Last edited by helmsdale; Jan 23, 2021 at 15:00.
  • 1 Like

• GDR
    Jan 23, 2021 | 14:07 18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    I’m going CPS red. Not sure variety yet. Any thoughts on that? For pig barns, or maybe milling. Bids currently close to HRS. I can’t grade HRS most years here in the damp, so may as well grow something that it doesn’t really matter on.

CPS variety thoughts? Been a while since I grew it.
    Bunch of new varieties out this year. Been growing penhold for 4or 5 yrs now but found some Foremost( now a cnhr) again so going back to it. Pretty unbeatable in our area. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 14:16 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    I’m going CPS red. Not sure variety yet. Any thoughts on that? For pig barns, or maybe milling. Bids currently close to HRS. I can’t grade HRS most years here in the damp, so may as well grow something that it doesn’t really matter on.

CPS variety thoughts? Been a while since I grew it.
    Personal thoughts for pig feed and yield I would grow Foremost, doesn’t stand as well as Penhold but definitely will out yield it with less groceries imo. I grew Crossfield and Penhold this year. Crossfield yields better but probably 3-4 days longer. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 14:19 20
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    Wheat can be so region specific.
    Viewfield and Penhold here.
    Hit and miss which margins better.
    Viewfield could push CPS right out.
    Grew Viewfield for the first time this year, stands and yields better than Brandon but harder to thrash. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 16:58 21 Durum, durum, and more durum for me. Lost money growing wheat last year compared to durum. If I was to grow wheat it’s Brandon. Likely no Barley, until I see $6 plus malt or feed there won’t be any on my farm. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 17:21 22 No one is trying the new ones I am growing.

We love AC Brandon it's short and that's what east Sask needs. Less straw more in the head. Finally, we have a winner.

Now it has a few issues and maybe the two or three new ones will help with that.

I'm doing two of Starbuck and one of Wheatland and the rest will be Alida. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 17:36 23 Alloy durum.high yield great quality sample.high quality durum can get big premiums every few years.can handle the dry ground better than most crops also. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 18:45 24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post
    We were really happy with our Landmark the last couple of years, Alida was a few bushels behind but might be slightly better for lodging. Will be growing mostly Landmark this year and a few quarters of Starbuck and quarter of Alida, will try to do a yield comparison in one field to get a better comparison.
    I wonder how protein compares? Reply With Quote
    ColevilleH2S's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 18:52 25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Lurking View Post
    Let's talk about wheat
    ...Let's talk about you and me
    Let's talk about all the good things
    And the bad things that may be
    Let's talk about wheat...

hehe Reply With Quote

• Jan 23, 2021 | 19:06 26
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Alloy durum.high yield great quality sample.high quality durum can get big premiums every few years.can handle the dry ground better than most crops also.
    Alloy is what I grow! Huge yields, very good protein.
    72 bu/ac last yr, 14.2 protein, nice plump kernals with good quality. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 19:42 27 We had Brandon and Leroy. The Leroy had way better colour and hvk. Yield was slightly better the Brandon but because of colour and midge resistance I will be growing all Leroy for our wheat. Brandon has been good for us but I think it will struggle with falling numbers more then Leroy. Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Jan 23, 2021 | 19:53 28 One more yr for a few acres of
    landmark .
    Then maybe all bly after that. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 20:01 29 Sceptre for me but might get a tonne of catapult to bulk for 22 plant. Reply With Quote
    Jan 23, 2021 | 20:19 30 Growing Landmark, Hughs, and trying Wheatland this year. Need shorter varieties. Landmark stands pretty good, Hughs slightly worse. Reply With Quote