• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long term spring weather northern prairies

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term spring weather northern prairies

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/our-new-temperature-outlook-is-here?cm_ven=hp-slot-2

Our New Temperature Outlook is Here

January 21, 2021
    Meteorologist Ari Sarsalari looks at the latest temperature outlook for February through April.

February cooler in NW, March/April warmer... dryer than normal spring...
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jan 22, 2021, 03:46.

Yea... dont look at July.

So, hows everyone going to make out if commodities peak sometime between now and spring, then pull back and we end up with a sub-par crop next year?

Obviously long range weather and commodity conditions are about as effective as a ouija board, but theres alot of factors lining up...

-Higher input prices than last year, fertilizer in particular.
    -high current prices for canola are sure to entice a large seeded acreage of high input, drought intolerant canola in western canada.
    -the same price signal is going to entice a slug of lower fert requiring beans to go in stateside in regions that longe range forecasts are calling to be wetter than normal.

Comment

Barley prices should keep a lid on Canola acres ? As will $9 yellow peas .... if you can grow them .

But yes , projected canola acres will be up a bit as of now . Time will tell by mid May planting time .

Most fertilizer has been bought already I assume ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Barley prices should keep a lid on Canola acres ? As will $9 yellow peas .... if you can grow them .

But yes , projected canola acres will be up a bit as of now . Time will tell by mid May planting time .

Most fertilizer has been bought already I assume ?
        The canola seed might be bought and shedded on farms....but July tells the story when it comes back on the same pallets...seen it before....I was looking for a few bags on a certain variety to finish in May....in july there was pallets at the local retail....returns..

Comment

I hope it rains in May

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            The canola seed might be bought and shedded on farms....but July tells the story when it comes back on the same pallets...seen it before....I was looking for a few bags on a certain variety to finish in May....in july there was pallets at the local retail....returns..
            Yup , that can happen in some areas , seen it before . That’s why I said we will see come mid May how things go .
            Mostly guess work this time of year , most farms plans are more flexible than the market believes , especially this time of year , and more so this year with markets doing what they are doing .
            Long way till spring yet .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Yup , that can happen in some areas , seen it before . That’s why I said we will see come mid May how things go .
              Mostly guess work this time of year , most farms plans are more flexible than the market believes , especially this time of year , and more so this year with markets doing what they are doing .
              Long way till spring yet .
              Just imagine if farmers could have some reasonable information on forward sales to make plan B. C. and D at this point in time????

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.