• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic tyres

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic tyres

The vast range of tyres on the market nowadays.

From american made to israel and china.

Our land is hard on tyres stones and upaved gravel roads.

Still find the expensive american firestones etc the best bang for your buck.

All is good until about 50 to 60% wear then the cheaper tyres just wear out done real quick.

Alliance seem to be the pick of think there india and israel made.

Passenger car and pickup tyres all shit nowadays.

Toyo mostly for farm vehicles.

ATV tyres well get a decent bone er and i could stick it through the sidewall.......

Yeah off topic
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Jan 19, 2021, 15:18.

Good topic. Tires on my farm usually rot and crack before they wear out. Doesn’t seem to matter the brand or origin, they generally seem to crack etc.???

Comment

I can't believe I am saying this but some of the Chinese tires are ok. I have a pair of Solun. Snowflake rated (good on snow and ice), quiet on pavement. Seem to wear well.

I have some Black Lion tires on my grain trailer that seem ok as well. I had sworn off buying as many Chinese products as possible. But money talks.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
        I can't believe I am saying this but some of the Chinese tires are ok. I have a pair of Solun. Snowflake rated (good on snow and ice), quiet on pavement. Seem to wear well.

I have some Black Lion tires on my grain trailer that seem ok as well. I had sworn off buying as many Chinese products as possible. But money talks.
        I'm the same. On the farm I can't justify paying 3 times the money for better tires. We do all our own tire work for the trucks and the Chinese tires last ok. I have seen a few farmers go together and buy several dozen one can get wholesale. I like name brand steering tires on our main trucks but use Chinese on the rest. BKT tires from India are our bargain tires for tractors.

Comment

Had all kinds here over the years. Depends on what the tractor is mainly used for.

Best matched to the job was a pair of Goodyears on a 2 wheel drive Massey on the corn planter or no-till drill. It had a long-bar, short-bar lug pattern that gave super traction and wear on the solider surface that goes with no-till. Not so good in a wet spot though - would fill up with mud and not clean.

Currently running Michelins on the main tractor, with a loader. They do not seem to be wearing at all with about 2300 hours on them, but they're cracking rather badly around the lugs - a common Michelin complaint.

Punched a hole in a 14.9x24 Michelin front tire last summer and it would have been $1300 to replace it with a new one. Found a used one for half price, but it's a bit more worn than the original. Not the best.

Anyway, I learned after the fact that I could have bought a new pair of offshore tires for the same money as one new Michelin. And again, there was a tire available that would wear better on hard surfaces, but crack-prone. And a softer, more flexible tire was recommended for working on dirt.

Lots of options and wide price range. Offshore cheaper if you want to go that way.

Comment

Had 18 years on Firestone 710x38 on 9300 Deere, no cracks, stubble wear only, lasted till trade at 5000 hrs, about 50% left. 710x 42 Good Year DT on 7920 are still 80% after 5000 hours, 15 years. Michelin really wear fast on SUV? Had a real bad one on tandem steering tire. Rear tandems had Kelly, at 75% after 100,000 Km. Continentals on new tandem.
            Last edited by fjlip; Jan 19, 2021, 21:14.

Comment

BKT made in India are working great on tractor tires, 440/65R28 a little under a grand.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                Had 18 years on Firestone 710x38 on 9300 Deere, no cracks, stubble wear only, lasted till trade at 5000 hrs, about 50% left. 710x 42 on 7920 are still 80% after 5000 hours, 15 years. Michelin really wear fast on SUV? Had a real bad one on tandem steering tire. Rear tandems had Kelly, at 75% after 100,000 Km. Continentals on new tandem.
                Good to know.

Comment

I run:
                  On all big trucks, Michelin steers, Bridgestone drives, firestone trailer.

Having good luck with good year duratracs on farm trucks

Ever since titan took over good year, I find their good year bias ag tires went downhill! Everything has been swapped to Firestone 23°s for grips, and firestone rib implement on equipment. Thoroughly impressed with firestone radial implement tires I put on an old rotary rock picker. Very flat face that squats out and holds the unit up VERY well in wetter conditions. Recently put all firestone implement tires on the drill otherwise I'd try the radials on there as well.

One firestone product I'm not impressed with is their diamond tread 16.5-16.1s. They do not stand up to stubble! For those I went with high ply "american farmer" tires.

Likely going to need new tires on my aircart in the next couple years... what are guys seeing for decent diamond treads? 16.5-16.1s, and 23.1-26s. Go to grips instead?

Comment

we have been buying Mitas , really like them
                    i notice firestone that come on new equipment can be junk for some reason?

Comment

After years of installing used worn out tires on the tandem, this summer I put all new drive tires.
                      I told the tire shop I wanted anything except Chinese tires. His response is that they don't even stock anything else, rarely ever sell anything else. And most of his customers are logging trucks, oilfield trucks, heavy haul etc, all in the nastiest conditions anywhere ( Ford sent the superduties to this general area to test them before they came out, because they had established that our roads are the hardest on vehicles anywhere).

Then he gave me the price on brand name compared to the Blacklion. At almost double the cost, I reluctantly accepted the Chinese tires.

No problems so far, but I can see a day where North America doesn't have enough capacity to manufacture our own tires ( along with every thing else), and our economy could literally be shut down or held for ransom if the Chinese wanted to.

Comment

I've noticed alot larger difference in margins on domestic tires than chinese...

Place I've been dealing with sells a slug of tires but his margins are likely quite low.

I put bridgestone 775s (everyone makes a knockoff version of these) for about 1/3 more than an off-shore knockoff of the same tire. Many other retailers were 1/3 higher again, but their chinese price was similar.

I still put enough miles on the Pete and super B's, and pull stupid poorly maintained river hills, so have gone with Bridgestone W919s. They are high ply, so I run at 80psi and still get about 130K out of them with second to none winter ice and snow traction.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.