Test Storm what storm. Yea it wasn't bad wind got up to just under 100km. Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Storm what storm. Yea it wasn't bad wind got up to just under 100km.

Test
SASKFARMER's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 08:02 1 Farm weather station shows last night after midnight the wind picked up fast and topped at 98km so not as bad as some in other areas.

We started the day off with Rain, Nice steady rain that was fun to drive on at the beginning but then the traffic kept it good till dark.

About 8 in Regina the Second wave hit with snow and then the wind picked up. Lots of plastic garbage containers are missing this morning.

No paper today maybe a good thing would have blown out of the mailbox probably.

Trees down in a few spots.

What did others have happened?

Highways are shut in all directions early today out of Regina.

Oh, wait it's the same day as Saskatoon Ag events. Doesn't it always storm?

Yes, it has since I went to the UofS years ago this week had storms.

Climate hasn't changed just stupid people have. Reply With Quote
Jan 14, 2021 | 08:14 2 One good thing is the temp is not -30 now
Sometimes when these clippers go through , and they do nearly every year , the backside of the low ushers in arctic air.

Still only -3 here . Looks to be stable temps even after NW wind calms
Nice change 👍 Reply With Quote

• Jan 14, 2021 | 08:33 3 Howled for a bit up here in the woods. Cant tell if it’s windy in our yard or not. Settled down pretty quick. Not near as bad as they said. Again. Diddly for precip. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 08:36 4 We got a rain storm that just phucked the roads and yards. Lots of accidents. Now it’s snowing Reply With Quote
    Partners's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 08:44 5 Lots of wind.
    Bugger all snow.
    Field looks like we lost alot.
    The 2/10ths of rain would have been nice in June. Reply With Quote

• Jan 14, 2021 | 09:01 6 East central (Buchanan).

No significant snowfall. Started raining late afternoon yesterday and some wind overnight but the snow is all compacted in the fields so really nothing moving around. Apparently the local highways were bad - some locals on FB reporting they found the ditch and the local tow truck guy must have responded to a bad accident near Preeceville.

It could always be worse - I'll take almost zero any day over -30 for weeks on end. If this is glowbull warming then bring it on. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jan 14, 2021 | 09:03 7 Regina house exposed to the west. All bare facia on north and west side gone. Shingles ok. Crap laying all over street. Condos east of us replacing balconies. Crew had neat stack of blocking 2x4’s stacked ready to put in. I don’t know where they went Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 09:13 8 Oh shit, it's recycle day have to go look for our green container. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 09:37 9 We had a good tenth of rain last night. The backyard rink looked like a backyard pool.

School is cancelled today, but other then some wind, it seems like the blizzard warning is a dud. Reply With Quote
    LEP
    Jan 14, 2021 | 09:54 10 We had winds of 100 km with gusts of 150. First there was rain then a couple inches of wet snow. Windows are snowed over. I haven't been out yet but I think it was better to get the wind in the winter than the summer. Everything was crusted over with snow so only shingles and trees to worry about. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 09:56 11 A 7 mile drive into Regina at 1:00 a.m. took 2.5 hours, not a hope of making it home on pavement. 140 km. Winds recorded at Rouleau. News is lots of damage SE of Regina - new sheds with concrete floors gone - only a few walls laying around.
    Last edited by sumdumguy; Jan 14, 2021 at 10:22.
    Jan 14, 2021 | 10:14 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    A 7 mile drive into Regina at 1:00 a.m. took 2.5 hours, not a hope of making it home on pavement. 140 km. Winds recorded at Rouleau.
    Said max gusts to 122kmh here south side of Regina. House rattled all night long.

Hearing the Harbour Landing sub got hit hard.

Good thing the hopper bins are all still full. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 10:22 13 Reply With Quote
    Blaithin's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 10:39 14 95km gusts here. Yard kind of cuts it down a bit but was still windy. Cows had one break out. Lost an eavestrough on the house but otherwise no damage that I’ve run into. The weak trees got taken out a couple years ago when it was extra windy every two weeks.

No bins gone and they’re almost all empty out back and would be getting it full force. See what the work looks like when I leave the yard later.

No rain or snow here, just wind. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 11:31 15 House rattled all night, thankfully lots of trees NW side. Just willow leaves on snow. Very little fresh snow. Lots of claims to increase Ins Premiums... Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 12:16 16 At least 6 trucks with van trailers blew over between Nanton and Lethbridge.
    Hwy 2 between Calgary and Edmonton where the snow blew across the highway and turned to ice was brutal, vehicles in the ditch everywhere.
    Between Westlock and Hwy 43 same story, just sheet ice, was white knuckle keeping the truck straight as the wind was pushing the trailers sideways. Wish I had been loaded for traction. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 12:18 17 Probably seen this by now, south of Claresholm:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/dangerous-truck-tipping-winds-blast-through-southern-alberta Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 12:22 18 https://www.discoverweyburn.com/loca...ow-hit-weyburn

Could be mistaken for tornado damage in places. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 12:27 19 Very windy it blew fifth wheel camper off blocks it was sitting on. Generator was on for about 13 hours power just back on at noon. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 13:31 20 Name:  IMG_0103.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  93.4 KB
    real good rain here , strange , was so warm didn't even ice roads that bad, followed by a rainbow in jan. ? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 14, 2021 | 15:21 21 Power out for over a day now....nice that a little wind can destroy our infrastructure. ...no money to keep it maintained but 4 billion for stupid shit. .... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 14, 2021 | 15:28 22 $40000.00 worth solar panels! Oh wait there covered in snow! Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 15:37 23
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertbarlage View Post
    $40000.00 worth solar panels! Oh wait there covered in snow!
    Wind turbines get shut down in those kind of storms..

Besides if the rest of the infrastructure is falling apart what's the point? Reply With Quote
    Blaithin's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 15:51 24
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Wind turbines get shut down in those kind of storms..

Besides if the rest of the infrastructure is falling apart what's the point?
    Pretty sure the ones here were turning yesterday. Can’t say I paid a lot of attention to them though. Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 16:23 25 Our neighbours near White City just put in a stand up array of solar panels. Out of 10 large ones I only saw 2 left kinda standing, the rest a mangled heap of Chinese “technology”. And the win mill just east of Regina was turning this morning, but didn’t seem to be turning very fast, do they have brakes on them? Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 16:25 26 Balcarres and Fort area still without power till 6 or 6:30 main line down or problems from Balgonie. Reply With Quote
    Blaithin's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 16:35 27
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Our neighbours near White City just put in a stand up array of solar panels. Out of 10 large ones I only saw 2 left kinda standing, the rest a mangled heap of Chinese “technology”. And the win mill just east of Regina was turning this morning, but didn’t seem to be turning very fast, do they have brakes on them?
    Yes to the brakes. They never really seem to go faster or slower, always the same speed. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 14, 2021 | 16:39 28 Our wind turbines where shut down intermitently. They shut down in heavy winds the max speed of windturbine is only about 14 rpm max I believe. The windpark is very efficient at 38 percent. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Jan 14, 2021 | 17:07 29 "a mangled heap of Chinese “technology”, aw what a shame, CC is crying. All those RARE earth minerals gone to sh*t! Reply With Quote
    Jan 14, 2021 | 17:35 30
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaithin View Post
    Yes to the brakes. They never really seem to go faster or slower, always the same speed.
    Part of the reason you see them always turning, is that when the wind isn't blowing, they still need to rotate to avoid damaging the bearings from the static load, so they use grid power to rotate the blades slowly.

They do have brakes, but my understanding is that they can't be continually braked back down to speed in extreme winds, but must be shut down completely. That could be old info, or no commercial scale turbines though. Reply With Quote