Test Calving time Test

Beef Production

Tools

Calving time

Test
GDR
Jan 10, 2021 | 21:32 1 Had this calf this morning, had noticed the cow getting close so had put her in and weather was pleasant so all around good deal, just not supposed to start calving till the last half of March. Do recall having a bit of a pen mix up at calving time but the point of the story is I looked her up and she calved on March 20th last year, which by the calendar would have her bred back 13 days later, give or take. I know mares breed well on there foal heat soon after foaling but this is surprisingly quick for a cow.

Just wish they would breed back like that when you are trying to back them up. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jan 10, 2021 | 22:12 2 Usually there is a sub-fertile heat around 30 days post-calving. To move a cow ahead 70 days without hormone intervention is pretty cool. Maybe keep the bulls a little further away from the calving pasture? Reply With Quote
    GDR
    Jan 11, 2021 | 00:33 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    Usually there is a sub-fertile heat around 30 days post-calving. To move a cow ahead 70 days without hormone intervention is pretty cool. Maybe keep the bulls a little further away from the calving pasture?
    Ya I'm amazed too. We had some nasty weather for calving last year and had everyone penned up a little too tight. Hoping to be able to move the bulls to another yard for spring if I can get my ducks in a row. What my management skills lack, makes for more interesting days on the farm! Reply With Quote

• Blaithin's Avatar Jan 11, 2021 | 13:26 4 At least it's easier to push her back to get in line with the rest of the herd than try and bring her forward (When you want it to happen it doesn't nearly so easily!) Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes