• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dairy West ... Globalization and Ag

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dairy West ... Globalization and Ag

Peter gives a pretty good overview
    From December

https://dairywest.com/news/agriculture-after-globalization-dairy-wests-feeding-your-mind-virtual-learning-series

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Peter gives a pretty good overview
    From December

https://dairywest.com/news/agriculture-after-globalization-dairy-wests-feeding-your-mind-virtual-learning-series
    Suprised no comments here, if nobody watched because it was long or because it said Dairy, it is Peter Zeihan, interesting as he usually is. Relating to US Dairy but very relatable to all ag.

If his view is correct, we need to get off the bus of producing more for less. Also our all in bet on China dont sound like a good long term plan either. Declining population pretty much worldwide, less mouths to feed.

Fully serious question, how do we get women to have more babies? As a rule do they not want to in a liberated environment, can families not afford them? Is it image /perception/desire for other things in life? As it's such a small percentage of the population that are child bearing age, to catch up or continue numbers families would have to be huge, 2 or 3 kids just wont cut it. Ladies...I'd like to help buy I can only do so much.

As I look at his graphs of population besides consumption, what about real estate, we keep telling ourselves its gonna keep going up but reality is if there are less people to buy how can it? You only need one house. Perhaps real estate is not the retirement plan we think?

Collapsing of EU ag subsidies will that really be helpful for us or just hurtful to those farmers way of life?

He basically says the global climate change goals are gonna fall apart, I see that for right or wrong, every man or country for themselves. But will Canada carry on and push forward or get a wake up call?

I like Zeihan and for the most part he is fairly convincing in his arguments but is that because we have common politics? Does any of you think he is completely out to lunch? Are there any more left wing speakers on geopolitics and if so where do the disagree and where do they overlap?

Comment

I thought it was fairly relative to watch with everything going on .
      Peter tends to give an objective view without being too political one way or the other.
      Ya it was kinda focused on dairy , but gives a very broad view of all ag in this geopolitical environment now .

Some of his stuff is repetitive but still relative in the big picture

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
        I like Zeihan and for the most part he is fairly convincing in his arguments but is that because we have common politics? Does any of you think he is completely out to lunch? Are there any more left wing speakers on geopolitics and if so where do the disagree and where do they overlap?
        I haven't watched yet, but definitely will.
        As for left/right. I don't think Peter would define himself as right, more like left but not blindly ideologically left( a rare quality on the left), and capable of doing math( a rare skill on that side of the divide).

Comment

As for real estate. Particularly in Canada. World population trends may not be as important as world wealth. Can we figure out a way to still maintain or grow wealth without a growing consumer base? If we can, then places like where we live can continue to attract immigrants, many of them wealthy, and transplants within, looking for a better life, and more space, and more opportunities, recreation, security. Housing in Shanghai may not be a great long term investment with declining population, but non urban areas with amenities and scenery etc could still attract people and investment. When you look at the available land per person world wide, regardless if it is at 10 billion, or 5 billion people, elbow room is hard to come by most places.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            I haven't watched yet, but definitely will.
            As for left/right. I don't think Peter would define himself as right, more like left but not blindly ideologically left( a rare quality on the left), and capable of doing math( a rare skill on that side of the divide).
            I agree he is likely left of center but he does explain situations well. I haven’t read this article yet but I did get his latest book for Christmas and expect to get at that soon.

If you look at his past presentations on YouTube what he explains seems plausible but not all of it has come to pass.

He provides an easy read and food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              As for real estate. Particularly in Canada. World population trends may not be as important as world wealth. Can we figure out a way to still maintain or grow wealth without a growing consumer base? If we can, then places like where we live can continue to attract immigrants, many of them wealthy, and transplants within, looking for a better life, and more space, and more opportunities, recreation, security. Housing in Shanghai may not be a great long term investment with declining population, but non urban areas with amenities and scenery etc could still attract people and investment. When you look at the available land per person world wide, regardless if it is at 10 billion, or 5 billion people, elbow room is hard to come by most places.
              Agree to a point, but not a very large percentage of immigrants would move to anywhere outside the lower mainland or GTA areas. Not sure rural prairies urban or not is attractive to them. I'm also not sure that a significant portion of people want that extra elbow room us farmers demand. Lots of the city people and relatives I have are in borderline panic mode when visiting my place, and I'm 2 miles from town. Perhaps the Deliverance movie left a lasting impression of being in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                Agree to a point, but not a very large percentage of immigrants would move to anywhere outside the lower mainland or GTA areas. Not sure rural prairies urban or not is attractive to them. I'm also not sure that a significant portion of people want that extra elbow room us farmers demand. Lots of the city people and relatives I have are in borderline panic mode when visiting my place, and I'm 2 miles from town. Perhaps the Deliverance movie left a lasting impression of being in the country.
                Except it doesn't take a large percentage, only takes a very small fraction of a percentage to want to get out of the big cities. Look at the relative numbers, not absolute. And the displacement of people moving from crowded countries into less crowded, from big cities into smaller cities, from smaller cities into rural towns, from rural towns into the country, and from the country into the middle of nowhere. ( think a Covid pandemic has something to do with this). Affluent people like to move to my area for example. Mountain views, trees, creeks, space, wildlife, ride their horses, quads etc. More affluence, more of them, less affluence, less can afford a second country home ( or palace).
                Back to the land types do the same. End of the world conspiracy theorists etc.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...