• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Quotes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with
    has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face.

– Benjamin Franklin (1706 – 1790)

Comment

"Give it your best shot"

Gonna insert another background story here, written quite a few years ago after I got my first deer:

On the Mark

He was just a 14 year old youth when he spoke those unforgettable words some years ago. But still, there was a timeless lesson to be learned from the profound statement made by my oldest son on the day I got my first deer. After several years of unsuccessfully shooting high, low and wide or who knows where, I had finally brought down my first deer, a beautiful eight-point buck weighing almost 200 pounds.

The early November deer hunt brings with it short days and early sunset and it was approaching dark when I decided to unload my gun, pack up and go home. Just as I rose from my seat on the edge of the woodlot, I saw a dark form moving way out to my right - a really nice big buck. I aimed and fired - and missed - and emptied my shotgun. (It's what we are regulated to using in our part of Ontario) Bang, bang, bang.

The deer kept on running, running flat out by now. He was almost back to the edge of the bush where he came from when I slapped one more shell into the chamber.

I then remembered what a seasoned and successful hunting buddy told me - when the deer is running full speed you must lead him by a distance appropriate for its speed and how far it is away. So I brought the barrel up aiming slightly higher and about six feet in front of that deer and BANG!
      He disappeared into the brush at the edge of the trees.

Oh well, I thought, I'll go check for a blood trail. I walked over to where he had disappeared into the brush and there he lay, giving his last kicks. First deer - 85 yards on a dead run and with my fourth shell - what a challenging, unlikely mix!

Later, as usual, after the hunt most hunters intently listen and absorb the exact step by step retelling of the successful hunt and the shooter recites every minute detail, everyone vicariously reliving the experience through the telling. As I excitedly recounted the series of events and every leap or movement, my hunting buddies offered lots of mixed affirmation on the shooting of my first deer. Along with the congratulations, I heard a lot of boisterous words that included "lucky", "beginner's luck", “he was so lucky…”

Not that it mattered - the last and best word came from my son who stood by and was listening to their good-natured ribbing. Because after the gang left and he and I were standing there looking at that fresh venison hanging in the shed, Jeremy spoke the words that I have not forgotten -

He said, "Dad, you weren't ‘just lucky’. You did everything you were supposed to do and it all came together". And it dawned on me that, just like my final shot, his words were right on the mark.

What an insight! What an affirmation! And since that eventful evening many years ago, those words have provided encouragement and incentive to me - and to others with whom I’ve shared them. The reality is that there are so many external factors over which we have no control. The target might zig or the deer might zag at any unknown moment; you have no control over that, but you can control your actions by following reliable guidance.

So there is a life lesson from a wise young lad: When facing big challenges, stick to what you know is right, don't waver and give it your best shot. Sometimes the best shooters miss and the less skilled hit right on the mark. Just do what you are supposed to do and it could just all come together. You cannot succeed by doing nothing and you can’t beat Providence.

Comment

Corn will never be below 4.00 again.

Comment

Forever is a long time!

Comment

You don't have to worry about that old guy, he can write a cheque you couldn't cash!

Comment

Don’t shit where you eat

Comment

"Only Sheep need a Shepard"

Comment

From my Dad

Very similar to the one above, many here likely know it:

“If you can make a heap of all your winnings, and risk it on a turn of pitch and toss,
                  And lose, and never breathe a word about your loss.

If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those 2 impostors just the same

Then yours is the earth,and all that’s in it, and what’s more, you’ll be a man my son.

Compliments of “If”

Comment

There is never enough time to do right but always enough time to do it again.

Even a blind chicken finds a kernal of corn every now and then.

Comment

On one of my fridge magnets-

Stop caring about bullshit

Comment

One of my Dad's... "U don't know what U have until it is gone"..

for me this really hits the nail on the head with small communities and not shopping local.

Comment

Originally posted by therealnorthernf View Post
                          One of my Dad's... "U don't know what U have until it is gone"..

for me this really hits the nail on the head with small communities and not shopping local.
                          Government policy dictated that...only the strong should survive...right????...

It costs too much to help local communities ....right...

Now add up all the costs to not being able to do that even without the pandemic....

Then the next saying applies...

"'"""Its cheaper to keep her/him/local"""""

I have watched communities die in my youth ...from something as simple as a ball field at the old schoolhouse in the middle of nowhere...to towns that once thrived....there wasn't room to keep extra farmers around....so the consolidation of farms...then grain elevators and finally railways....for no good outcome when shit hits the fan...

As a nation that had the ability to isolate communities quickly....we lost that by consolidation....add up the costs now....we look pretty stupid...and those responsible will never stick their hands up and admit it....
                          Last edited by bucket; Dec 29, 2020, 10:02.

Comment

A quote from my dad “look after yourself first, nobody else will”.

Comment

Originally posted by OvernOut View Post
                              Hard Times make Strong Men

Strong Men make Good Times

Good Times make Weak Men

Weak Men make Hard Times

Can you guess where we are in this circle?
                              We are the last line on that list , at least at a Federal level

Comment

A line that my Dad told me a few years ago , " you never saw too many fat guys on a threshing crew"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.