Test Favorite Quotes Test

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Favorite Quotes

Test
Dec 28, 2020 | 14:47 31 I try to explain this to my kids occasionally when they are frustrated with school or anything in general...

""""...everything is difficult until it is easy...."""

And i remind them that learning to tie their shoes at one point was difficult for them...sometimes that's all it takes to take deep breath and think.... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Dec 28, 2020 | 15:01 32 He that blows the coals in quarrels that he has nothing to do with
    has no right to complain if the sparks fly in his face.

– Benjamin Franklin (1706 – 1790) Reply With Quote

• Dec 28, 2020 | 15:15 33 "Give it your best shot"

Gonna insert another background story here, written quite a few years ago after I got my first deer:

On the Mark

He was just a 14 year old youth when he spoke those unforgettable words some years ago. But still, there was a timeless lesson to be learned from the profound statement made by my oldest son on the day I got my first deer. After several years of unsuccessfully shooting high, low and wide or who knows where, I had finally brought down my first deer, a beautiful eight-point buck weighing almost 200 pounds.

The early November deer hunt brings with it short days and early sunset and it was approaching dark when I decided to unload my gun, pack up and go home. Just as I rose from my seat on the edge of the woodlot, I saw a dark form moving way out to my right - a really nice big buck. I aimed and fired - and missed - and emptied my shotgun. (It's what we are regulated to using in our part of Ontario) Bang, bang, bang.

The deer kept on running, running flat out by now. He was almost back to the edge of the bush where he came from when I slapped one more shell into the chamber.

I then remembered what a seasoned and successful hunting buddy told me - when the deer is running full speed you must lead him by a distance appropriate for its speed and how far it is away. So I brought the barrel up aiming slightly higher and about six feet in front of that deer and BANG!
    He disappeared into the brush at the edge of the trees.

Oh well, I thought, I'll go check for a blood trail. I walked over to where he had disappeared into the brush and there he lay, giving his last kicks. First deer - 85 yards on a dead run and with my fourth shell - what a challenging, unlikely mix!

Later, as usual, after the hunt most hunters intently listen and absorb the exact step by step retelling of the successful hunt and the shooter recites every minute detail, everyone vicariously reliving the experience through the telling. As I excitedly recounted the series of events and every leap or movement, my hunting buddies offered lots of mixed affirmation on the shooting of my first deer. Along with the congratulations, I heard a lot of boisterous words that included "lucky", "beginner's luck", “he was so lucky…”

Not that it mattered - the last and best word came from my son who stood by and was listening to their good-natured ribbing. Because after the gang left and he and I were standing there looking at that fresh venison hanging in the shed, Jeremy spoke the words that I have not forgotten -

He said, "Dad, you weren't ‘just lucky’. You did everything you were supposed to do and it all came together". And it dawned on me that, just like my final shot, his words were right on the mark.

What an insight! What an affirmation! And since that eventful evening many years ago, those words have provided encouragement and incentive to me - and to others with whom I’ve shared them. The reality is that there are so many external factors over which we have no control. The target might zig or the deer might zag at any unknown moment; you have no control over that, but you can control your actions by following reliable guidance.

So there is a life lesson from a wise young lad: When facing big challenges, stick to what you know is right, don't waver and give it your best shot. Sometimes the best shooters miss and the less skilled hit right on the mark. Just do what you are supposed to do and it could just all come together. You cannot succeed by doing nothing and you can’t beat Providence. Reply With Quote

• Dec 28, 2020 | 15:45 34 Corn will never be below 4.00 again. Reply With Quote

• Dec 28, 2020 | 18:46 35 Forever is a long time! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Dec 28, 2020 | 18:54 36 You don't have to worry about that old guy, he can write a cheque you couldn't cash! Reply With Quote
    Dec 28, 2020 | 19:06 37 Don’t shit where you eat Reply With Quote
    Dec 28, 2020 | 19:41 38 "Only Sheep need a Shepard" Reply With Quote
    Dec 28, 2020 | 20:08 39 Very similar to the one above, many here likely know it:

“If you can make a heap of all your winnings, and risk it on a turn of pitch and toss,
    And lose, and never breathe a word about your loss.

If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those 2 impostors just the same

Then yours is the earth,and all that’s in it, and what’s more, you’ll be a man my son.

Compliments of “If” Reply With Quote
    Dec 28, 2020 | 20:09 40 There is never enough time to do right but always enough time to do it again.

Even a blind chicken finds a kernal of corn every now and then. Reply With Quote

• Dec 29, 2020 | 09:23 41 On one of my fridge magnets-

Stop caring about bullshit Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes

• Dec 29, 2020 | 09:46 42 One of my Dad's... "U don't know what U have until it is gone"..

for me this really hits the nail on the head with small communities and not shopping local. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Dec 29, 2020 | 09:58 43
    Quote Originally Posted by therealnorthernf View Post
    One of my Dad's... "U don't know what U have until it is gone"..

for me this really hits the nail on the head with small communities and not shopping local.
    Government policy dictated that...only the strong should survive...right????...

It costs too much to help local communities ....right...

Now add up all the costs to not being able to do that even without the pandemic....

Then the next saying applies...

"'"""Its cheaper to keep her/him/local"""""

I have watched communities die in my youth ...from something as simple as a ball field at the old schoolhouse in the middle of nowhere...to towns that once thrived....there wasn't room to keep extra farmers around....so the consolidation of farms...then grain elevators and finally railways....for no good outcome when shit hits the fan...

As a nation that had the ability to isolate communities quickly....we lost that by consolidation....add up the costs now....we look pretty stupid...and those responsible will never stick their hands up and admit it....
    Last edited by bucket; Dec 29, 2020 at 10:02.
  • 1 Like

• Dec 29, 2020 | 11:38 44 A quote from my dad “look after yourself first, nobody else will”. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Dec 29, 2020 | 12:41 45
    Quote Originally Posted by OvernOut View Post
    Hard Times make Strong Men

Strong Men make Good Times

Good Times make Weak Men

Weak Men make Hard Times

Can you guess where we are in this circle?
    We are the last line on that list , at least at a Federal level Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Dec 29, 2020 | 12:48 46 A line that my Dad told me a few years ago , " you never saw too many fat guys on a threshing crew" Reply With Quote
  • 3 Likes

• blackpowder's Avatar Dec 29, 2020 | 13:47 47
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterjade9 View Post
    Was your uncle Norwegian?
    Funny, my Dad's side were. But this one German descent. Just a life spent in seismic/coring drill rigs LoL. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Dec 29, 2020 | 13:52 48
    Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Government policy dictated that...only the strong should survive...right????...

It costs too much to help local communities ....right...

Now add up all the costs to not being able to do that even without the pandemic....

Then the next saying applies...

"'"""Its cheaper to keep her/him/local"""""

I have watched communities die in my youth ...from something as simple as a ball field at the old schoolhouse in the middle of nowhere...to towns that once thrived....there wasn't room to keep extra farmers around....so the consolidation of farms...then grain elevators and finally railways....for no good outcome when shit hits the fan...

As a nation that had the ability to isolate communities quickly....we lost that by consolidation....add up the costs now....we look pretty stupid...and those responsible will never stick their hands up and admit it....
    Bucket. Not wanting to restart an old argument or derail the thread.
    But I can't think of any way we could have had an alternate reality on the Prairies. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

LEP

• Dec 29, 2020 | 14:20 49 “Don’t dip your dink in the company ink”

Watched over the years as so many missed this valuable morsel of info in the patch , lol Reply With Quote

• blackpowder's Avatar Dec 29, 2020 | 14:22 50 Or "don't duck with the cook" Reply With Quote
    Dec 29, 2020 | 14:26 51 From a man that lived to be 95:

...tell me and I will forget, show me and I will remember, help me do it; and I will learn! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Dec 29, 2020 | 14:53 52
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    Bucket. Not wanting to restart an old argument or derail the thread.
    But I can't think of any way we could have had an alternate reality on the Prairies.
    Not at all....and of course hindsight is 20/20....but really what have we gained....

As an example G3 is building another elevator at Swift current....There is already 6 elevators in the general vicinity ...Had they moved it 30 miles east they would have had an easier time filling it....less competition and for guys from the east it would have meant not climbing the Rush Lake hill with the semis....but who am I to point out what would be good for both farmer and grainco....

So now if I decide to or forced to haul to Swift Current I have one more option as to where to deliver...not sure if it makes more sense or gains any efficiency....

But because everyone has moved to the city that is where the labour has to be found and kept....

When the consolidation happened it was just before farmers made a major shift into continuous cropping and special crops....seems like no one gained an ounce of knowledge as to how to better service farmers change other than to download costs to them....whether it be fuel tires equipment or storage to accommodate grainco logistics...

At one point in time in the future someone is going to recognize the infrastructure we had already built and wonder what the phuck was wrong with us...as a country and those that allowed it to happen... Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Dec 29, 2020 | 17:40 53 PHUCK TRUDEAU!

My favorite saying lately. Reply With Quote

• Dec 29, 2020 | 18:18 54 When I was younger a neighbor would always tell my best friend and I

"No sense in going somewhere, if nobody's going to remember you were there." Reply With Quote

• fjlip's Avatar Dec 29, 2020 | 19:18 55
    Quote Originally Posted by flea beetle View Post
    PHUCK TRUDEAU!

My favorite saying lately.
    Mine Dog Phucker... Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Dec 29, 2020 | 22:51 56 The pen is mightier than the sword..
    I thought I have to have a something.
    Only took me 10 hrs. To think of it. Reply With Quote
    Dec 29, 2020 | 22:58 57
    Quote Originally Posted by flea beetle View Post
    PHUCK TRUDEAU!

My favorite saying lately.
    Yup and it was a favorite saying some 40 years ago as well....

Some learnt ....most didn't which is why we are saying it again... Reply With Quote

• Dec 30, 2020 | 08:28 58 When something doesn't make sense...back up and reassess the assumptions

Ibid "fake news" Reply With Quote

• Dec 30, 2020 | 08:39 59 You can lead a horse 🐎 to water but you can’t make it drink. Better the devil you know than the one you don’t. I know this last one applies to Trudope. People should have thought before they put him into power. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Dec 30, 2020 | 09:10 60
    Quote Originally Posted by oneoff View Post
    When something doesn't make sense...back up and reassess the assumptions

Ibid "fake news"
    Replace that with

"Don't shoot the messenger"" Reply With Quote