• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lice control

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lice control

What are you using for lice control and how is it working ?

The lice around here last year were horrible and nothing seemed to work on them. Some folks hit them twice with ivermectin and still had issues.

Haven’t done the pairs yet and they are hardly scratching. Ivermectin is sitting here awaiting application. Curious as to what others use as well.

Comment

I just use ivomec because I bought 4L and that’s enough to last me 10 years on my small herd.

Have used Boss in the past and it works good.

I also give them a vitamin A boost in the fall as that’s supposed to help.

Comment

I have seen reason to doubt the efficacy of Ivomec for a few years because of inconsistent control. Maybe it's the product, maybe it's the season - who knows.

But what I do to cover lice effectively is use Vetolice at those times when the ivermectin didn't seem to get it. It's cheap and it works. Used after ivermectin, you get both the external and internal parasites.

Here's another thing you may already know - ivermectin applied in the spring before turnout results in little to no bug activity in the cowpies for quite a while. Naturally, since it's meant to kill bugs.

And as the season goes on, it becomes clear that the manure patties break down more quickly, with noticeable signs of fly, worm or/and bug activity happening much earlier after dropping. Circumstantial? Maybe.

So I try to time application so that it has some time to break down in the critter before turnout. Not always successful.

The things we learn...

Comment

Any parasitic will have an affect on insects and soil organisms, not just ivomec. Considering it’s very long meat withdrawal of 51 days, it may affect insects for longer than other options though.

Deworm an animal, manure will affect insects. Pour on, affects insects.

Even treating with antibiotics will have an affect on soil life.

I believe anecdotal reports say pour on will suppress insect activity in manure for at least 2 weeks. Even when given in the fall, those poo piles stick around until spring so they could still be affecting soil biome as well.

That’s why alternative treatments, which are usually more preventative measures, are starting to gain ground with folks who want those dung beetles around. DE, Vitamin A, etc.

Comment

Majority of neighbors had issues with all types of ivernectin last number of years. I suspect it is poor application, poor timing and underdosing. My vet agrees.

I give 3 to 4 times the dose on dry hair in middle November when air temps are consistently cool and lice get active. Never had an issue. Neighbors think I am crazy for dosing so much. I think they are crazy for running the entire herd through the chute 2 or 3 times in the winter to give more applications. But I am one guy and they are working with crews of people, so manpower isn't an issue for them.

Comment

I think the lice that slip by are getting harder to kill and ivomec getting weaker.Guns are not accurate also.Solution is simple.Pull the trigger twice per cow.problem solved.

Comment

The 2 pumps can't be far wrong at the insignificant cost per season.
                The one thing that got me a few times was co-mingled non treated getting in.
                I remember one situation a cow jumped the fence from the cull pen and headed off down to the riverbank to join the treated herd.
                All it takes is one keep the infestation going.

Comment

Did mine this morning. Who even needs to run them through the chute. Small herd, quiet animals, shoot em off the bale.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                    Did mine this morning. Who even needs to run them through the chute. Small herd, quiet animals, shoot em off the bale.

To answer your question - likely the guy who can't climb up on the bale...

Comment

Lots of folks had trouble in our area last winter. Vet did a lot of sample collection/research and lot of them had mange.
                      We try to rotate products ivermectin, dectomax, etc. but usually only pour weaned calves. Cows are out grazing and being spread out helps a lot compared to being corralled up.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.