• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask small biz

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask small biz

Hopefully they can remain in a position to utilize this.

Wow, I wonder if small corporate farms are exempt. Ok, not funny.

Comment

Wow, there are going to be alot of private/sole proprietor businesses that will fall through the cracks on this one.

Aka, unincorporated businesses.

Comment

I agree but those smaller businesses could be ok.

Now on the farm front, I'm scared that Trudeau is going after corporations in the new reset. He will leave private alone. That's his voters.

Comment

Most true small business make the square root of squat so the actual effect of this move is zero. A few large farms and colonies will be the main beneficiary since the areas that got lucky with a good crop will actually show some profit at these prices. Should help keep land rents up at least for the non incorporated competition. Did books as a winter job for a buddy that had 3 small business together generating just over $3M in revenue a number of years ago. Did not generate enough revenue to depreciated the capital stock most years. Fortunately he sold 2 of the businesses for some capital gain. His actual tax bill was not that much since recapture did not factor since the assets were only depreciated during the best year in the last 5. This is likely fairly typical of many small business. It was a combination gas station and restaurant.

Comment

Read somewhere it was only 2% to start with.
            But they do collect pst& gst for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
              I agree but those smaller businesses could be ok.

Now on the farm front, I'm scared that Trudeau is going after corporations in the new reset. He will leave private alone. That's his voters.
              Last I looked big corporate owners were his donors, Weston and Rogers families, etc. He wont touch corporate rates or stocks because of that.

Comment

........... the Feds will probably more than make up for it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  ........... the Feds will probably more than make up for it!!!!
                  How many taxes will be invented and increased is the question.

Comment

Taxes need to stay low in the “Global economy or they will move” to another country.

Agriculture is a captive tax base as is most resource exports. Part of the solution is to devalue the Canadian dollar through dropping interest rates further. This saves government money on the massive debt, and encourages asset inflation, or motivates business to expand.

The only solution is inflation, punish the savers (low or nor interest on bank accounts) force them to spend or invest.
                    Last edited by Rareearth; Dec 8, 2020, 17:01.

Comment

Help is on the way -

"Help At Last: House Relief Bill Will Provide Free 'Going Out Of Business' Signs To Small Business Owners"

https://babylonbee.com/news/house-relief-bill-will-provide-free-going-out-of-business-signs-to-small-business-owners https://babylonbee.com/news/house-relief-bill-will-provide-free-going-out-of-business-signs-to-small-business-owners

Comment

I hope people understand corporate tax integration and what actually happens when the gov't lowers the corp rates, especially to those older farm and business corps that are not taking substantial dividends now.

The government always wins in total as the corp rate goes down.

My accountant said ideally we need the corp rate to go up 10%.....

Comment

can you expand on that ?

Comment

I definitely do NOT have a firm grip on this handle, but I always thought that whether you decided to take a salary or a dividend the resulting tax paid was fairly close after integration was taken into account.

Money paid out to the shareholder in dividend or salary should be close, please explain where lowering corporate tax rate would affect this.....I would have to do more research. Corporate tax, dividend, gross up, dividend tax rate....shouldn't all the math come close to equalling salary income tax rate.

The real benefit of incorporation, in my mind, is building the business with a bigger after tax dollar .....getting the money out is the great equalizer.

It has to be managed.

I like your input and insight Richard5.

Comment

I will try to explain it as it was explained to me.

What you basically said Farma is true. A corporation should not really give you and net advantage other than a deferral of tax, at the end of the day.

Here’s the issue. Dividends are basically taxed as the difference between what the company has paid and your personal bracket rate in the year taken. When you have earned a lot of your wealth in the corporation and paid taxes at 12%, 13%, 15% to as high as 21.12%, the issue is you only get the dividend tax credit based on the corporate tax rate in effect for that year. In summary, my farm grew a lot of its wealth when tax was 15.5 to 18% (sask rates) and i only took what i needed to live etc. Now that i am coasting a bit and built up some reserve money, i would like to take some extra out. The tax credit i will get on next years dividend will be based on a corp tax rate paid of 9%, not the actual higher rates i have paid. so the total tax i paid will be more than the next guy that has earned his income in the last couple years.

Of course this is ignoring the compounding effect of being in a company for over 20 years and deferring the ultimate dividend tax at the end if winding up a company.

We also have to keep in mind that personal tax rates have dropped and brackets increased over the last 20 years also.

Confusing, you bet. Get your accountant to show you this one.

If growing your farm today, low rate is good. Exiting or drawing large sums out of and old company then a low corp rate is not good. For me, i would love to lobby the gov’t to increase the corp rate to 25%. Then i would take large dividends before i get to 65
                              Last edited by Richard5; Dec 10, 2020, 16:47.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...