• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Aid Package Pitched

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Aid Package Pitched

This is happening in the states, not Canada

a bipartisan group of lawmakers in Congress on Tuesday announced a proposed coronavirus aid package costing $908 billion overall, including $26 billion for nutrition and agriculture.

On agricultural aid, Grassley indicated direct aid for farmers could be less than the $20 billion initially in the U.S. Senate bill earlier this fall. The senator said agricultural aid would need to be tied to nutrition aid to garner the bipartisan support needed.

"I can't say for sure if what I'm going to say about agriculture has a broad bipartisan support that other items I know do have that bipartisan support," Grassley said. He later clarified on agricultural aid, "If it's connected to supplementing the food stamp program like we did in March, that we wouldn't have any trouble getting it."

An prior to this latest announcement

Farmers have collected $21.6 billion in aid under the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP 1 and CFAP 2). The CFAP 2 has paid out $11.1 billion to 703,849 farmers as of Monday afternoon. Farmers who grow corn, cattle, "sales commodities," soybeans and dairy are the largest recipients under the program. USDA issued a notice Tuesday reminding farmers and ranchers that Dec. 11, 2020, is the deadline to apply for CFAP 2 aid through the Farm Service Agency.

Just wondering why US farmers can get direct payments that get turned back to the economy while Western Canadian farmers are still wondering about the studies of an agristability program that has less than 25% of farmers participating...

Yesterday the CFA head said grain and oilseed producers won't see much from this program because of better prices....probably true but maybe she should look at what is happening to the south...

Two countries, two approaches reflecting two opposite attitudes toward agriculture.

Why do Canadian farmers get the polar opposite treatment given to their American cousins?

One thing jumps out to me as the likely cause of the discrepancy is that the representative groups of one country are actually working effectively on behalf of those they represent, while the other country's farm groups are merely a cozy extension of an uninterested government.

Another factor is that one country looks after the broad interests of farmers and does not have a system that favors one especially voluble sector of "nationalists". A sector which can affect the rise and fall of the government of the day.

To summarize:

1 - Our farm groups in their current form and capacity are a complete waste of our checkoff dollars

2 - The existing agricultural platforms in Canada serve the government very well, desensitizing them to the trade discrepancies created by U.S. programs

Comment

I agree the USA and most other countries in the world look after their farmers or work with them so they can succeed. In Canada its divide and conquer and do **** all.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        I agree the USA and most other countries in the world look after their farmers or work with them so they can succeed. In Canada its divide and conquer and do **** all.
        Gotta like the fact Trudeau stuck his nose in supporting the peaceful protests of India's farmers...

Maybe western Canadian farmers should have peaceful protests....lets see how quick Trudeau sends in the RCMP...

Hypocrite and phucking with our markets again...

Who thinks Trudeau's latest noise won't cost us some market share in India ??????

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.