• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In General

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In General

The posts I've read lately, seem to point in some directions that could be best.

-Increase packing capacity
    -Feedlots should work with packers and producers to move cattle through (includes future packing capacity)
    -Value Chains are by no means over
    -Anybody (no matter what "level") should set goals and try to partner and make those partnerships work and in the whole of the marketplace.
    - Anybody's kids could be working in any organization that you may or may not like. But they all (and you or me besides) should be knowledgeable of the today. So, to get the job done by whichever profession (marketing? law? agrology? ranching?) we ought to make sure that there is a move on for future professionals to make the educated effort.

You've hit on some interesting points, not the least of which is finding the leaders for tomorrow. We need some today to be sure, but there is going to be a huge deficit when it comes to leadership over the next 3 to 5 years. Many of the industry leaders of today will be retiring and we need people to step in and take up the reins.

The hallmark of a true leader is to be able to look within to find the answers and to be able to bring up other leaders around you. We need leaders who aren't afraid to take risks, no matter if they win or lose, who can look beyond the status quo and see where we need to go and chart paths for us to get there.

Value-chains haven't really started in the beef industry - they are just in their infancy, so you are quite right when you say they are not over. The entire beef industry cannot become one big value chain, rather the vision is that there will be many chains that create the healthy competition that many would like to see. One of the most important criteria for a value chain is trust. With the way the beef industry is now, how do you see instilling trust in all of the players so that any value chain could function?

Comment

Like it or not, the CCIA has already started the process with mandatory RFID tags. The expense will have to be absorbed. But much more important is the information sharing made possible through each stage of food production, pre-conception included. The cost in the long run will be low compared to the valuable data to get back and the quality-related marketing advantages made so. It's ironic that an industry setback becomes a significant way forward. I'd guess the greatest jump to be made is an appreciation at the cow-calf, at least where I have experience some of the feedlots and packers have programs in place. I don't kid myself, though, because I know a number in cow-calf who are going in that direction with aptitude.

Comment

The way toward trust is in the certifiable tag recording. After that, it's willingness to share data. Parties will have to agree on the parameters most important in a program. Continuing to sell blind into markets, "generic" beef without a marketing brand traceback, wasn't going to work anyway. We have the best beef in the world now, so why not support that with the data?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.