• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My quad thread got me thinking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1950 model here. 8 years in a one room school. First 3 years rode my pony. First tractor Massey 44 Special with a Farmhand Hi Lift loader. First drove a '51 International L120. No synchro. If you didn't double clutch you didn't shift. I feel it has been a charmed era that my generation has lived through. Lots of opportunities and no wars, invasions, persecutions, expulsions, etc. for the last 75 years. I feel that is a luxury that hasn't been experienced by many though history. So if there are some bumps in the road going ahead they can't be any worse than what many of our ancestors experienced. It is really great to see how the posters on Agriville represent the full range of ages involved in agriculture. I think there is lots we can learn from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      Way to go. We were all enjoying a really good friend, nothing political, nothing contentious. Then you went and brought up climate change.
      Now alarm will go off in chucks basement, And he will spring into action Posting a red and pink map disprooving Your earliest spring ever claim , and the entire thread will degenerate from there.
      I call BS on that anyway. 97 didn’t even have a winter, it couldn’t have an early spring.

Comment

How many would go back?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Way to go. We were all enjoying a really good thread, nothing political, nothing contentious. Then you went and brought up climate change.
          Now alarms will go off in chucks basement, And he will spring into action Posting a red and pink map disproving Your earliest spring ever claim , and the entire thread will degenerate from there.

?????

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            How many would go back?
            I think I would if I was young again I realy enjoyed the old days but didnt know any better I used to hate getting out the wood pile,because it was never enough to satisfy the parents, now I get out a wood pile just for the exercise and nostalgia I love wood heat but nice to have the gas for when you dont feel like building a fire.
            Going out to the barn on a cold night to milk it just felt so good when you entered ,and a team to haul the manure out,we used a moose hide so when you got out to field you hooked onto other end and rolled it that way you didnt have to fork it off.
            Lots of fond memories, what will the now gen have to rember ? going out to heated shop to warm tractor or pickup with heated seats,steering wheel,power everything, nice but not much for memories.

Comment

Pumping water from the old red steel hand pump in the kitchen out of the cistern
              Carrying 5 gal pails up the crick bank to water pigs in winter , not much bigger than pails
              Trapping ,skinning and stretching huge piles of beaver, muskrat , coyotes and the odd mink
              Marvelling at the big check from dominion Soudak in the spring , and buying my first motorbike with proceeds
              Too many kids have never had that opportunity and sense of acclomplishment . Still remember how happy I was at about 9 or 10 when I could set the springs on a large beaver connibear by myself
              Getting my first wood burning kit for Xmas ,at about 6, what could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                ?????
                It's called humour.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  How many would go back?
                  I would in a heartbeat. I was born way too late.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    Pumping water from the old red steel hand pump in the kitchen out of the cistern
                    Carrying 5 gal pails up the crick bank to water pigs in winter , not much bigger than pails
                    Trapping ,skinning and stretching huge piles of beaver, muskrat , coyotes and the odd mink
                    Marvelling at the big check from dominion Soudak in the spring , and buying my first motorbike with proceeds
                    Too many kids have never had that opportunity and sense of acclomplishment . Still remember how happy I was at about 9 or 10 when I could set the springs on a large beaver connibear by myself
                    Getting my first wood burning kit for Xmas ,at about 6, what could possibly go wrong?
                    Where I farm is the bald ass prairies. Well in 1974, my brother and I decided that we were going to make our fortune trapping muskrat. We bought traps and stretchers from SIR in Winnipeg. Proceeded to set traps on a couple sloughs. Sometimes we caught some. Sometimes the owl pulled back the sack we had covering the trap and ate our prize.

We only had 6 stretchers and we left them on for a week, so every Wednesday night we would skin 6 more. We would freeze them outside if the bounty started to pile up. In the spring we packaged up our furs and mailed them to sell through SIR. It was the year that muskrat prices fell like a rock. What had been $5 or 6 dollars the year before became $1 or 2. Our entire harvest proceeds only paid for the traps and stretchers that we had bought at the start of the season.

Kinda like farming some years.

Comment

I would not go back except for youth.
                      Memories are all fond when not weighed with stress.

Comment

Seems we're older than we thought we were.

Comment

Originally posted by LQQKY View Post
                          Most are highly EXPERIENCED, brimming with knowledge and an appreciation for the positive changes in our once simpler lives. We could/should write a book. I have videoed many hours of our parents on both sides just talking about life from the 30's and on. Saved for grandchildren.

Comment

Originally posted by LQQKY View Post
                            I’m not.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                              Most are highly EXPERIENCED, brimming with knowledge and an appreciation for the positive changes in our once simpler lives. We could/should write a book. I have videoed many hours of our parents on both sides just talking about life from the 30's and on. Saved for grandchildren.
                              Man that is something I wish I had. I have a pile of silent 8mm films I need to digitize, thanks for the reminder.

Good thinking on making those recordings.

Comment

With all the posts reminiscing of the past, we all forgot to mention the pleasure the outhouse provided us.

Was great on those minus 30 degree days!
                                Last edited by foragefarmer; Dec 1, 2020, 19:25.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...