• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My quad thread got me thinking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abeorike View Post
    1943 model Done almost everything that i read about on this thread the one thing that no one mentioned was gathering crows and magpie eggs and taking them to the reeve 2 miles down the road and getting 60 cents a dozen Pissed my mother off as she got 24 cents a dozen and had to wash them all and take to the creamery in town. also got 3 cents for a gopher tail. Those were the good old day.
    We sold magpie feet,but some got greedy and added robin,bluejay and any foot they thought would pass ,not too many would open the bag to look close as they were getting ripe, and used to snare gophers and cut off the tail for 2 cents that way they could still breed. that was in the 50s.

Comment

I am 61and young at heart. Started running tractors at the age of 10. The first was a Mcormick w4 on a hay rake and a JD manure spreader. I still have this tractor and in running condition. My dad bought one of the first 4 wheel drives in 1969 a IH 4100 which I ran the following year pulling a 30’ cultivator working summer fallow. There was a cab cooler added to this tractor which really made a big difference. Dad hooked the press drill behind the cultivator that spring. I ran my first combine in 1970 a open station IH 403. Harvesting barley on a hot windy day was something else!Couple years later he bought a IH 914 and a tractor with Ac. That was a treat to run. Those two combines were used for a few years I remember shoveling grain in those old wooden bins,wire braces all over.There has been a lot of technology changes to every piece of farm equipment made but overboard with the electronics now. I hear of guys having sensor issues which I don’t have with my older equipment.One big advancement was gps and auto steer which I really like. I don’t get as tired on a long day! Really enjoyed this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
        We sold magpie feet,but some got greedy and added robin,bluejay and any foot they thought would pass ,not too many would open the bag to look close as they were getting ripe, and used to snare gophers and cut off the tail for 2 cents that way they could still breed. that was in the 50s.
        I’ve never heard of catch and release with gophers.

Obviously before my time but what’s with collecting the birds feet?

Comment

Not a harsh word spoken.

Old barns ,old age posters , the age of posters ,seem popular down to earth topics.

Comment

69 model, seen a few changes.... bagged fertilizer on a 4 wheel wagon trailer tied behind the 3 ton and some how learned to back it in a shed. Patched alot of square wooden bins with what ever was handy and I think we might still have a steel grain shovel on the farm... God its heavy compared to the aluminum one. First combine was a 431 ****shutt and cut acres of grain and hay with a Versatile 400 swather 15' complete with crimper for the hay... No cab just lots of fresh air and sunshine and bugs. Some how lived through the whole spray issues we had.. blew out plugged spray screens daily and knock on wood I am still healthy as a horse haha. We were more into cattle than grain, Dad had this idea that we needed to calve in January so we could get super sized calves for Sept. We have since changed to May/June and still get decent weights on our calves. We still manage to go camping to this day and I am hoping to get back into ice fishing this winter. Still most things Dad did on the farm remain the same to this date with a few changes to make life more enjoyable.. bale graze cows vs start the tractor every day to feed. Still enjoying what I do and hope that my son will be able to continue when I leave.

Comment

60 summers spent here on the farm. Yes, have not so fond memories of jd R’s, 80’s and 428 ****shott growing up. Best part on farm now is having my sons farming here and grandkids around on a daily basis. Don’t know what the best quad today is, but my best was bought in the early 90’s, a Yamaha 350 I believe, and it went around 20000 km chasing shitters. “They don’t build them like they used to”.

Comment

The post about bags of 11-52 brought back a funny memory. I think I was about 12 or 13 and we were at the local Pioneer getting some fert, a new truckload must have just come because there were a few farmers there picking up some bags. It was really hot that day so everybody was helping everybody else load their bags. One of our neighbors, an old Scottish fella was there getting a few bags. At that time he was probably in his early or mid 80's, he smoked like a chimney and every second word out of his mouth was a swear word. When it came time to load his truck I told him not worry I would load his bags. He looked me square in the eye with a roll your own hanging out of the corner of his mouth and said "Piss off laddy ah can load me own fookin fertilizer".

Comment

I forgot the bags of Fertilizer, HAHAHAHAHA

Also cult seed and then harrow.

Spray open Tractor blows out tips and zero gloves plus the pool sprayers.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                    Not a harsh word spoken.

Old barns ,old age posters , the age of posters ,seem popular down to earth topics.
                    thats because the shit disturbers leave these threads alone, why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      Nothing here to feed them.
                      Not even joining in.
                      A lesson in how to deal with them.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        Nothing here to feed them.
                        Not even joining in.
                        A lesson in how to deal with them.
                        As I have been saying, the simplest solution is to make every thread title sound like an agricultural issue, and non controversial. They won't even open them. Probably still need to start the odd thread with a title such as Farma's Trump gets Covid while touring a solar and wind farm, to keep them distracted, otherwise, they might eventually open an ag related thread wondering where everyone went.

Comment

My parents picked up everything they had from one farming area and move to new area in the late 60's.

They move to a total of 240 acres, of which 200 was bush. My parent slowly expand in the 70's and early 80's

They were dirt poor with the shittest equipment that could be found, we worked very hard physically, but always had lots of food two pairs of jeans and were lucky enough to have participated in all high school sports.

We were still combining with a JD 95 gas jobbie in 1990. It's hard believe how fast our farm progressed in the last 20 years machine and acreage wise. Nothing fancy for equipment but very efficient

So to sum up my early years they consisted of three activities.

1) Picking: stones, sticks, small squares, beer and pop bottles, vegetables, eggs, fertilizer bags, grain bags. 5 gallon pails of chop, trapped animals, shot prey, as teenager, fights, girls, 12's of beer ( for the girls and friends I picked up) etc etc.

2) Shoveling: shit, grain, fertilizer, concrete, snow and dirt (that's of coarse when getting stuck after drinking the 12 pack of beer with the girl or friends) etc etc

3) Driving: farm equipment, pickups, my parents crazy(with the drinking of the 12 packs and being a "SHIT DISTURBER") all the teachers through 13 years of school, etc etc.

I had a fantastic childhood growing up on the farm and it continues to be a great ride.

P.S. Age is just a number to me and of little importance.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                            I forgot the bags of Fertilizer, HAHAHAHAHA

Also cult seed and then harrow.

Spray open Tractor blows out tips and zero gloves plus the pool sprayers.
                            Heck as a kid I was spraying with the open air 3020 and using buckets to fill the drill from mini bulks. Much better these days. Some of the old days weren’t actually that good but probably less stressful 😉

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              Just noticed.

Goes to show agriville would survive with just good farm related topics with a bit of farm off topic thrown in.

Comment

All of the above.
                                Started driving a John Deere M pulling a steel wheeled wagon for picking rocks.
                                Life is sure easy now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...