• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My quad thread got me thinking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    I'm tied with Sheepwheat, but feel half that age.
    I suspect we(Plus Woodland and Blaithin) are by far the youngest regular posters.
    March of ‘83 was when mom got two for the price of one since my twin brother decided to tag along as well. Funny part is my sister’s husband shares the same day as us.

Age is just number. I know folks younger than me that act old and whine about every little thing wrong with their body. Most everyone on here seems to be a mover and shaker and that’s the kind of folks to hang around.

Kinda interesting to find out a bit of everyone’s backstory

Comment

My younger brother got Covid so l called to see how he was doing, he tells me he has bit of a fever, sore all over, tired in the afternoons and has a nap. I replied That sounds like a normal day for me.
      1960 model!

Comment

I turned 62 this fall.

Comment

A good neighbour of ours who passed away a couple years back shortly after his 87th birthday worked like a man half his age right up to the time of his death. He was often a source of inspiration to me when he could be heard saying, “ God Damn I wish I was 65 again”. Lol. I like to remember that when I think I’m feeling my own age!

Comment

40 in a few months

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
              Some years ago when I was shopping for a machine, I was impressed by Bombardier's design. It had a nearly-floor depth open space between the front of the seat and the console/engine compartment.
              My dad was impressed too, so he bought one. He quickly learned its easier to lift your leg over than lift up and through.

Comment

I am 1959 model came from large family. so learned fast to take it and learn to deal with it What ever it is ! Just to mention some things that I think were big improvements in farming . Airseeders ! High clearance sprayers! Distruction of the cwb! Straight combining!

Comment

1952. I am told in Sept/52 my Dad took Mom into hospital at harvest. I was born and she stayed in hospital for a week. He had started a 40 acre wheat field with his new IHC 6 ft combine. He brought us home and he still hadn't finished it. Bought a new ****shutt 110 Sp combine the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
                    1952. I am told in Sept/52 my Dad took Mom into hospital at harvest. I was born and she stayed in hospital for a week. He had started a 40 acre wheat field with his new IHC 6 ft combine. He brought us home and he still hadn't finished it. Bought a new ****shutt 110 Sp combine the next year.
                    Hmm. Didnt know Co ckshutt was a swear word although farmers had been known to swear by them and at them.

Comment

1952 also. What a ride, was alive in WET 50's, no roads to get to towns at times. Saw a threshing machine working on this farm. Picking roots on breaking land at 14. Fencing, hand milking, cream cans to the train station, lots of manure, pigs chickens, cows. Good crops and total frozen crap. Heavy hay bales by hand into barn loft or a monster stack. The dust, no masks like everywhere in 2020, the noise and now hearing loss. Square bins, full of wires, dust, mice and steel grain shovels. Changes constantly to get to present time. Never been easier, but none can work forever. Yes 20 years younger will see even more change. Those will see if Ag survives in the highest cost place on earth, with the climate that has always changed. Good stories people.
                      Last edited by fjlip; Nov 29, 2020, 12:16.

Comment

1972 model, so 48.

Comment

February of 1956, will be able to cash those government cheques soon. Thankful that I can still hustle up a westeel rosco 8 tier bin. Also fun to be able to decide the out come of foot races with my 6 year old grand daughter. Enjoy while I can.

Comment

Nifty 50 next summer
                            Over half our grain storage was wood bins, used them for many years . Almost never had to worry about heated grain in them . Biggest danger was climbing over and under all the wires lugging the grain drag around .
                            Biggest job as a teenager was removing the loft floor of the barn when we moved it for our “new” shop . Pulling 8 in spikes all summer from all that heavy Fir wood ... then saving the nails after . Not much went to waste .
                            Had cows , pigs , chickens , mom had a huge garden .
                            Still remember the first “big” bins with air floors .. 3850 bus lol .
                            Then the first hoppers were the next big step.
                            Started combining on a IH 915 , then moved way up into an L3 Gleaner.
                            First field job was cultivating with a 275 bidirectional versatile and a 14 ft cultivator
                            Thought that was awesome... for about 2 days .
                            Filling the old Morris seed rites
                            The bourgault 138 air drill and 40ft air seeder was a big deal.
                            First big 4wd used was an Allis 305 twin stack with a high / low trans .
                            Still have the first case tractor , 9270 .
                            That pulls the planter now lol .

Lots has changed since , we did a very slow transformation compared to many just 10 years younger or 10 years older. Grew up in a very cautious time frame compared to many .

Comment

Was a good tractor actually, except the hi low trans was a weak spot
                              That ended up out in Sawyfly’s area . Not sure if it’s still going.

Comment

1958 here. Always a farmer except for a 6 month stint in an Ontario factory in the '70's. Back on the motorbike for 3 trips this year after no riding since 2017. The bike felt better at the end of the year than I did.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...