• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faba Beans

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faba Beans

With most grains flying off the self I hear faba's are just sitting around here with little interest.

Is anyone having luck moving them?
    Is there any reason to grow them next year?

You can add wheat to that list as well.

Comment

Where do most faba beans end up?
      Hog barns?

Comment

What's going on with the guy at Tisdale across the tracks from P&H?

Comment

AGT in North Dakota takes quite a bit of ours. Other than them there aren’t too many others I have heard taking a lot. Not sure if Olymel is looking for piggy food.

Comment

We were told $7.50 / bus
            Ours are feed from hail damage
            No market at the moment for “good” Fabas , or extremely limited and they need to be perfect

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
              What's going on with the guy at Tisdale across the tracks from P&H?
              That's a good question but I don't have the answer.

Always heard they were going to buy Faba's and there is always something going on there but as far as I know they haven't bought any yet.
              I am hoping they get something going because a strong buyer would be good for Faba's

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                That's a good question but I don't have the answer.

Always heard they were going to buy Faba's and there is always something going on there but as far as I know they haven't bought any yet.
                I am hoping they get something going because a strong buyer would be good for Faba's
                Talked to a couple of people about it.
                They are building a group of 90000 bus flat bottoms to go with the big hoppers that are there already so a serious investment in storage capable of doing international sales.
                Have been contacting Faba growers but not buying now.
                Faba looks like it may be the pulse to replace peas if you get the weather, weed control,keep the disease beat back, maintain the grade, etc.
                A buyer that requires volume and has markets sure will make them more attractive.
                Hope they make money and keep everybody paid.

Comment

We were quoted 9 for some of ours but only minimal tons. Quality is good in our area and the local demand for protein isn’t overly high but that could change after Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                    We were quoted 9 for some of ours but only minimal tons. Quality is good in our area and the local demand for protein isn’t overly high but that could change after Christmas.
                    What variety?

Comment

Snowbirds

Comment

Doing some thinking for this years rotation

We're planning on fabas, but starting to get some cold feet. Export market is dead apparently, Egypt isn't buying. Plan on feed prices. currently 8-9/bu in the yard depending on location for feed. Not bad. Will it last for new crop? Rumour is guys are switching from peas to fabas due to disease.

What are your plans, what do you know? Beautiful crop to grow. but horribly uncompetitive.

Comment

I decided to put 300 in and take a chance. One half section I farm has a history of being water logged so peas are risky. Going to keep two years between canola no matter what price it is.
                          I was told that they are a confection snack where they munch on them when they are hanging out on the streets socializing and covid has killed that market for now. Hopefully by next year things have improved.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                            I decided to put 300 in and take a chance. One half section I farm has a history of being water logged so peas are risky. Going to keep two years between canola no matter what price it is.
                            I was told that they are a confection snack where they munch on them when they are hanging out on the streets socializing and covid has killed that market for now. Hopefully by next year things have improved.
                            A fractionation plant is perhaps starting this fall in Legal AB in conjunction with the old pea butter facility... I hear production contracts are a possibility...; like was indicated AGT does fractionation in N Dekota/export at times; Saskatoon ParHiem does fractionation, when Fabas are favourable price [when yellow peas 'expensive'] WA grain works the feed markets with fabas...

Fabas have bombed on us in dry springs too often lower yield than yellow peas as well as lower price and grade... many turn black with Sept frost...

But easier to harvest than peas!

Cheers!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...