• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durum

9 dollar durum should be seen before the end of November for March April May...Its probably being quietly triggered already...

Comment

Farma you’ve been busy

Durum fusarium, doesn’t outyield wheat any more, tough grading - discounts, wheat midge, over 6 mt production bad - under 5 mt production good

On a positive note, we like growing it.

Comment

Locally there is only a 10 cent discount from a 1CWAD to a 3cwad...hardly justifies chasing a 1cwad when a weather event ,after all the groceries are put in to grow a 1cwad, makes it 3cwad anyway.

Comment

We missed a couple of good years where disease pressure was very low and growing quality durum would have been easier. But my crystal ball is broken. All it takes is a week of moist weather at the wrong time and we're in trouble.
          Another example of where durum needs fusarium resistance in its genes not a poor remedy out of a jug.
          Wasn't most durum bred from "desert" varieties? Sometimes conditions are a little too "tropical".

Comment

Very little is actually sold as a 1cwad anyway....Its becoming obvious that customers buy 3cwad and can live with even lower grades ....

One local prices on a 2cwad or better ...

I had a marketing rep from a grainco tell me I should be spraying to maintain grade....I said I am not getting paid enough to use the spray and depreciate my sprayer...and weather could still ruin the grade 3 days before harvest anyway...

Spraying doesnt bubblewrap the crop.
            Last edited by bucket; Nov 16, 2020, 08:16.

Comment

Spray not only for grade but a bump in yield also.

Comment

Farmers need grain storage (and cash flow) to blend away past years grading issues ( eurgot, midge, fusarium, hiking etc)

Hind sight 20:20

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                  Farmers need grain storage (and cash flow) to blend away past years grading issues ( eurgot, midge, fusarium, hiking etc)

Hind sight 20:20
                  Fusarium tolerances in top two grades of durum may as well be zero.

Nit-pickers can find it when there is none!

I would think the tolerances would be, err... need to be, relaxed in the future.

Example: ergot.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    Fusarium tolerances in top two grades of durum may as well be zero.

Nit-pickers can find it when there is none!

I would think the tolerances would be, err... need to be, relaxed in the future.

Example: ergot.
                    Until nobody has fusarium... then they'll blend er up to a 2 or better. 4cwad on account of fus with 387g/hl made $4/bu by sitting in the bin for 3 years.

Comment

Some day... I'd love to be financially independent enough, and have enough spare floor space to say, "see you next year then," when they cant work with your degrading factor.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                        Until nobody has fusarium... then they'll blend er up to a 2 or better. 4cwad on account of fus with 387g/hl made $4/bu by sitting in the bin for 3 years.
                        But lets be honest, an allowance of 0.5% fusarium in a one and two may as well be zero. 2% in a three.

CWRS, 0.8 in a one and 2.3 in a two. There again 0.8 may as well be zero.

Comment

Don't get me started on the subjective versus objective differences in grading.

Doesn't take much extra picking of afew "heavier" kernels to pick it down to a three!!!!!

No grumpy growers because fuzz hasn't been much of a problem, but wait!!!!
                          When it comes to this, never is a good time to rest on your laurels.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...