• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special niche

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special niche

Coriander.......
    Fenugreek......
    Caraway.........
    Quinoa...........
    Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 16, 2020, 07:38.

It seems like these types remain special niche crops for reasons only those who tried them out know about.

The latest here was three attempts at quinoa. Then it disappeared. Never talked to the guy who tried, but I assume that since he quit trying there were issues. First year looked the best.

Comment

How is Caraway market?

Comment

caraway and quinoa grown around here borage has been sidelined

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          caraway and quinoa grown around here borage has been sidelined
          Guys made some good money on certain years with caraway and I think it was coriander? But not every year and there were some learning curves like having to have the aeration run lots
          And then for some reason the grasshoppers absolutely exploded from those fields and gave everyone else an unwanted gift.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            Guys made some good money on certain years with caraway and I think it was coriander? But not every year and there were some learning curves like having to have the aeration run lots
            And then for some reason the grasshoppers absolutely exploded from those fields and gave everyone else an unwanted gift.
            Aeration because it was getting warm?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
              Aeration because it was getting warm?
              Yes and I forget which one it was but it was difficult to dry. He lost a fair bit in a bin couldn’t get it out even

Comment

Do caraway and coriander flow very well? Light bushel weight crops.
                I thought aeration was kinda a must have for these crops.

Weed control is probably tough.

Comment

If u like increasing your weed populations grow some quinoa. Potential to make some money but in bad years u can grow more weeds than crop. No good chemicals for this crop and subsequent years u can spend a lot to clean up the mess.

Comment

QUINOA is in the same family(?) of weeds as Lamb'sQuarters, and we all know how easy it is to kill Lamb's Quarters.....
                    They even look alike.

Best start with the cleanest field you have. Having weeds get away on you once makes subsequent herbicide apps easier to justify. How many times have you sprayed wondering if it really pays?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      Yes and I forget which one it was but it was difficult to dry. He lost a fair bit in a bin couldn’t get it out even
                      Caraway is a pretty early harvest. A little air initially and it’s been good since. Temp cables.

Finding a market is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        Do caraway and coriander flow very well? Light bushel weight crops.
                        I thought aeration was kinda a must have for these crops.

Weed control is probably tough.
                        Correct, caraway doesn’t flow well.

Some Edge with the spring granular fert did a good job for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Tone View Post
                          Caraway is a pretty early harvest. A little air initially and it’s been good since. Temp cables.

Finding a market is the problem.
                          Who are the buyers and what is the price...or is it too limited of a market that gets saturated too easy?

What is a typical yield?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                            Who are the buyers and what is the price...or is it too limited of a market that gets saturated too easy?

What is a typical yield?
                            It’s biennial. I planted it early July on some 2 wet to seed acres. Happens very often around here. The next year is establishment. You get one big year and it can be the first established year or the year after.

Yes very very limited market. I know someone who got $2/lb but it hasn’t been anywhere near that price in a few years. Official sources say 300-1000 lbs/acre but you have to factor in it’s at least a 2 year crop and max 3 year to total up to those lbs.

At current prices definitely not worth the effort.
                            Last edited by Dr Tone; Nov 17, 2020, 05:22.

Comment

Can’t spray with anything except Select. Poor options Farma. I won’t grow it again

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...