• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats

Oats blows.

Comment

The trouble with oats, canary and flax here is weed control
      You can only grow so much of any one of them

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        The trouble with oats, canary and flax here is weed control
        You can only grow so much of any one of them
        What weed do you have trouble with in flax?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
          Kochia ...hawksbeard....etc etc etc...

Comment

Grain storage is key for this crop.

Comment

Grass breaking grows a clean crop for me. Not always largest yield but cleanest. Lot of my ground can’t grow decent barley but oats fare better. Have a couple patches ready for next year.

Comment

Wild oats in your oats? Seed the oats first. Get it emerged before the wild ones are waking up.
                Flax is tough on my land due to hemp nettle and cleavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Wild oats in your oats? Seed the oats first. Get it emerged before the wild ones are waking up.
                  Flax is tough on my land due to hemp nettle and cleavers.
                  Oats go in after wheat here.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                    lady's thumb or smartweed, thistle

Comment

Probably stating the bleeding obvious you guys must eat a lot of porridge or oatmeal do you call it for breakfast?

Basically a niche crop here , feed yes, hay yes, grazing standing crop yes, human consumption niche market.

Finite demand

Comment

Too bad the "zero" gluten oat market isn't very big. We have Avena close to us, they want oats with very very little gluten cereals in the harvested sample. I think you can actually have more wild oats present than gluten cereal grains.

With direct seeding, volunteer wheat can linger longer than normal. Between trampled sprayer trails, white caps that maybe made it over the chaffer sieve, thrown out grain....and the fact spring wheat doesnt germinate as quickly as barley or durum, you can have volunteers longer than you want. Maybe two special crops after wheat then oats would help.

We never get the huge yeilds to make oats attractive.

Price premium needs to be big enough to make it worth trying

Comment

I really like growing oats. My land can grow high quality when conditions are close to decent. My land can grow wild oats well also but if you make an effort you can deal with that. I’m with you Farma on the volunteer wheat. Nothing worse than that. I’ve had hrs volunteer for 3 years. Makes it a challenge to prepare a field for oats with that in mind. I don’t grow a lot of wheat so not a big issue. If I could get barley to yield enough probably would grow less wheat.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...