• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flax

Don't grow it in 2021.... price will drop like a rock for those that want to chase the market...and seed will begin the 25 - 30 dollar per bushel range...then everyone will be complaining...

Comment

There are not alot of "benefits" to growing flax, dry land the following year, dealing with the straw, miserly yeilds, miserable weed control.

Comment

Exactly ....plus a later harvest doesnt work for those that have to be on Tweeter when the last head goes through the combine to say they are first done....

Comment

None grown within 100's? of km of my area. Why is that?
          My Grandpa grew it once in the 40's I think it was. Another neighbor supposedly bought a new combine with the proceeds of a quarter of flax in the same era. My understanding is that we are/were almost back to being as warm now, as it was at that point in the cycle back then.

Does flax just need too many heat units? Not like wet feet?

Farma and Bucket's protestations make it sound like the best kept secret.

Comment

its a chronically late crop , that would be a problem for your area , i think?
            we grew it for years , its a bitch combining it just before the first snow
            last time we knocked the concave hangar right out of the combine , and then i told the parts man to call me in the spring and remind me to not grow flax
            friends don't let friends grow flax
            and then there is that fk-n straw to deal with
            Last edited by Guest; Nov 16, 2020, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              Does flax just need too many heat units? Not like wet feet?
              Slow starter because of neglected genetics, turns into a late late crop with a lot of weed pressure and then straw to burn is a pain. This is the first year that I can remember where it didnt come off in October. That makes for very short days cranking through that crop. Start at 12, finish at 5:30. Just tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Slow starter because of neglected genetics, turns into a late late crop with a lot of weed pressure and then straw to burn is a pain. This is the first year that I can remember where it didnt come off in October. That makes for very short days cranking through that crop. Start at 12, finish at 5:30. Just tedious.
                What is later between flax and faba beans?

Comment

Current prices and new crop contract prices are going to garner alot of attention.

Not too often when I pre-sold new crop were the post harvest prices lower than pre-sold, this coming crop could be the year. New ctop prices almost makes me want to lock in 100% of expected production. That would be brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                    What is later between flax and faba beans?
                    I think faba but a lot easier to still harvest them even with snow on the ground can be dry.

Comment

Some flax grown around Vegreville this year. Guy was busy burning straw this week. Baled the whole field with no twine in the baler and lit them on fire where they were dumped once snow was on ground. Looked like a decent crop. More bales of straw than I would have thought.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...