• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
    Bucket “growing more will make you less” “Come on man”

What do you suggest?

How’s about cutting costs, and improving efficiency? That’s the corporate model.
    Or
    Just sells or goods for a higher price?

Growing less you are doomed to fail.
    Yes I might be off the reasoning of what I am saying ....I should be saying grow more and move less...

If the system isn't set up to move our grain in a timely fashion or increasing infrastructure to handle it....what is the point...

Farmers have built bins...I question if that should always be farmers responsibility...

Sure it saves the graincos money but to run a system on TPAs and backlogged doesnt seem to be efficient...

Having grain positioned at the farm doesn't get it turned into exports or cash to make the system more efficient...

Why not build out the infrastructure so the grain is positioned to get on the rails more quickly and use targets to say if your grain is being sold at the terminal...but they have the grain ready to move in a quicker way...

We are missing opportunities ...while the world needs more food/grain....I question how we are positioned to supply that market opportunity when the infrastructure is stuck well behind production growth...

To grow more only to have it throttled isn't a money maker either...

I guess maybe thats where my grow more make less is coming from ...hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Yes I might be off the reasoning of what I am saying ....I should be saying grow more and move less...

If the system isn't set up to move our grain in a timely fashion or increasing infrastructure to handle it....what is the point...

Farmers have built bins...I question if that should always be farmers responsibility...

Sure it saves the graincos money but to run a system on TPAs and backlogged doesnt seem to be efficient...

Having grain positioned at the farm doesn't get it turned into exports or cash to make the system more efficient...

Why not build out the infrastructure so the grain is positioned to get on the rails more quickly and use targets to say if your grain is being sold at the terminal...but they have the grain ready to move in a quicker way...

We are missing opportunities ...while the world needs more food/grain....I question how we are positioned to supply that market opportunity when the infrastructure is stuck well behind production growth...

To grow more only to have it throttled isn't a money maker either...

I guess maybe thats where my grow more make less is coming from ...hope that makes sense.
      2013 was a grow more sell for less year.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
        2013 was a grow more sell for less year.
        First crop I put in... and most went for feed.

Then in '14 phos went absolutely ballistic and I thumped 480ac in with strictly N as I picked it up in april, and phos was nowhere to be found.

Then in '15 it didnt rain till july...

Then in '16 I combined till remembrance day and sold it all again for feed after drying the entire crop with flat floor aeration bins and diesel heaters.

'17 was average crop with below average moisture grown on reserve from 16.

'18 it snowed on the crop 3 times. Harvested till early november again.

'19 was a poor crop and shit harvest conditions again.

'20 was all around "tolerable", except I left a significant amount of cash on the table by marketing early...

#buildingcharacter!

Comment

Worries for '21...

Soil moisture is depleted, and long term seasonal forecasts aren't really favorable for the growing season.

If $CDN continues to increase against all odds, we'll likely end up buying most of our inputs at nearly the same as last years prices or more (phos in particular), but god forbid the commodity markets implode and well be selling our output in $US.

Some of those current '21 new crop canola contracts in hindsight might look REAL attractive if soy falls off its perch, and $USD continues to lag.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

Then in '14 phos went absolutely ballistic and I thumped 480ac in with strictly N as I picked it up in april, and phos was nowhere to be found.

Then in '16 I combined till remembrance day and sold it all again for feed after drying the entire crop with flat floor aeration bins and diesel heaters.

'20 was all around "tolerable", except I left a significant amount of cash on the table by marketing early...

#buildingcharacter!
            Building character is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

#buildingcharacter!
              Welcome to the club. My average is about the same as yours only I've been at it for 40 years. Went through some real dry years in the 80's. I too left a significant amount of cash on the table by selling canola at harvest. Thank goodness it was on the physical and not futures. It just 'feels' better this way.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                think those idiots were shooting for 50 Mmt ,you know at $6 , that sure would work out good for us?
                and using some of our money to sell it
                but with 50 mmt tonnes, the check off fees would buy each of the board members a winter home in palm springs. They dont care about $6/bu canol thats our problem not theirs.

Make sure you dont forget to submit your refund forms back before their elusive deadlines.

Comment

Fert is already significantly more expensive then last year, if you’re a lock it in the fall winter months type. With the import duties being implemented on Russia and Morocco, I would think phosphate is likely headed higher regardless of a stronger C$.

The courts have sided with the big corps. A protectionist move that does nothing good for the farmer looking to improve his dwindling bottom line.

It’s not a good thing to have foreign gov that subsidize competitive fertilizer manufacturers, this undermines our domestic manufacturers, but I know I don’t like being the one paying for the government implemented duty on product I need to maintain my livelihood.

When the farmer creates such a significant circulation of capital in the economy you would think the gov would be helping keep our costs in line. Instead they seem to be propping up the already overinflated public corporations/ oligopolies at the detriment of the producer.

How does a Canadian grain producer gain government protection from a (for example) Russian grain producer that has a significant cost of production advantage over his, and is slowly stealing his share of the world wheat market through logistics advantages and domestic subsidies on inputs ect?

Comment

“New crop” around these parts is the stuff I just put in the bins. “Old crop” is the grain I have carried over. Don’t preprice because some years we have “No crop”.

Comment

I priced canola in sept when it’s was being hauled from the combine, felt confident what was there and just dumped the last load Friday for more than $1/bu less than spot price.
                      Wanting to price the remaining canola since prices are decent , no one has any delivery opportunities until March that I found.
                      Kinda need cash before then.
                      I’d be happy with the spot price but can’t.
                      Sometimes I miss the old days when I could always find a close haul to take, a couple short trips to town and then a few shots with the manager or cross the street and shoot pool until closing time.
                      Now I’ve gotta price 3 months ahead , not really loving this.

Comment

Cash Advance?

Comment

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
                          I priced canola in sept when it’s was being hauled from the combine, felt confident what was there and just dumped the last load Friday for more than $1/bu less than spot price.
                          Wanting to price the remaining canola since prices are decent , no one has any delivery opportunities until March that I found.
                          Kinda need cash before then.
                          I’d be happy with the spot price but can’t.
                          Sometimes I miss the old days when I could always find a close haul to take, a couple short trips to town and then a few shots with the manager or cross the street and shoot pool until closing time.
                          Now I’ve gotta price 3 months ahead , not really loving this.
                          Let me repeat ...if you cant deliver on a spot price...the system is not working...

Everyone delivering on old contracts (((((that the graincos have purposely delayed to keep the price low and their books full )))))is seeing that the prices are higher....after storing past the due date of their contracts...

If you understand the value of mandatory sales reporting....you will also understand a bit of a robbery is going on here in Canada right now.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                            Cash Advance?
                            Nope
                            In default

Comment

What's up, err I mean down, with Canola?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                                What's up, err I mean down, with Canola?
                                Heavy rainfall forecasts in Brazil . . . flushing funds. Highs may be in for canola this year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...