• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starlink Beta

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starlink Beta

Anyone get a beta invite? I have a friend that did (49.5 degrees north). Anyone in Canada that is under 51 degrees north is eligible. Here is the email they sent....

Subject: Starlink Better Than Nothing Beta!

As you can tell from the title, we are trying to lower your initial expectations 😀

Expect to see data speeds vary from 50Mb/s to 150Mb/s and latency from 20ms to 40ms over the next several months as we enhance the Starlink system. There will also be brief periods of no connectivity at all.

As we launch more satellites, install more ground stations and improve our networking software, data speed, latency and uptime will improve dramatically. For latency, we expect to achieve 16ms to 19ms by summer 2021.

The Starlink phased-array user terminal, which is more advanced than what’s in fighter jets, plus mounting tripod and wifi router, costs CA$649 and the monthly subscription costs CA$129.

If this sounds good to you, then order here.

Thanks,
    Starlink Team

To test the speed of your current connection go to http://www.fast.com http://www.fast.com

Under 51° north in the Prairies leaves out alot of the population. In those areas, below 51°, there can already be adequate service, except maybe the most remote areas

Comment

53.5 degrees here so no worries. I guess we’ll stick with getting it from a tower 10 miles away which is better than dialup.

Now if only the cell service could be reliable............. since Covid hit it’s been worse than 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Under 51° north in the Prairies leaves out alot of the population. In those areas, below 51°, there can already be adequate service, except maybe the most remote areas
        I agree. They are focusing on the area above and below the US/Canada border to start. As they add more satellites the coverage area will expand. We have "high speed wireless" but the speeds are very inconsistent. From 1Mbit to 10Mbit. 50Mbit would be a huge improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	starlinkbetacoverage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	770391
        Last edited by ALBERTAFARMER4; Nov 15, 2020, 07:56.

Comment

I don't claim to fully understand all the numbers but we receive our service via cellphone tower.

What an evolution I witnessed. From dial-up to WBBI to 1X? to are we on something "G" right now? But each step was an improvement over the last. I never had satellite internet service but never heard alot of good things about it. Obviously the Ghetto doesn't have fibre-optics either.

Comment

I just tested, used your link ( maybe they send me a invite)

Latency
            Unloaded 42 ms
            Loaded 49 ms

Internet speed 45Mbps
            Upload speed 3.9 Mbps

30 Mb down
            2.2 Mb up

Sask tel ok this morning

Thanks for posting, this is critical for rural, agriculture and business

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
              I just tested, used your link ( maybe they send me a invite)

Latency
              Unloaded 42 ms
              Loaded 49 ms

Internet speed 45Mbps
              Upload speed 3.9 Mbps

30 Mb down
              2.2 Mb up

Sask tel ok this morning

Thanks for posting, this is critical for rural, agriculture and business
              That is pretty respectable. Is that over cellular? Do you have data limits? Just to clarify that link at the bottom is just to test your current speed (I was mostly curious to see what a typical speed for AV was), the link to sign up for the beta is this one....

https://www.starlink.com https://www.starlink.com

Comment

Yes cellular, sasktel. No traffic this morning I guess. Yes they have limits, throttle etc

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10F308E4-570A-4290-BCE6-0313EC32D608.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	770392

These are my numbers, still seems slow compared to the city or other places.

Comment

We are scheduled for fibre optic connection to the farm next summer. 800 connection and 150 a month. 1 gig download no limit. This under a local municipal program. We already have a lan for a 1 mile radius to share an over the air service at 20 mb. We will switch to new service next year. If this does not happen we may go satellite.

Comment

Your the first farm I’ve heard of that can get fibre
                      I would take fibre over any other technology, it’s stable, no storms, fires, etc

Comment

We have not received it yet but it is part of a plan to have fibre for all of Rural Mb. This program is similar to one 30 years ago when rural phone line were buried.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                          We have not received it yet but it is part of a plan to have fibre for all of Rural Mb. This program is similar to one 30 years ago when rural phone line were buried.
                          Nice! We in Sask could only wish.

Comment

Here in my corner of AB, have a small town right at the end of my lane so not really the sticks.
                            Fibre is something I'll believe when I see unfortunately.
                            Right now using an antenna line of sight to a tower. Zoom meetings challenge it.

Comment

Pay for 20Mbps down, 3up, unlimited data. When I speed test I generally end up with 15-16 down, 2.5-3 up, single to low double digit millisecond pings, and the same for jitter.

All over WiMax wireless tower system. Very reliable through shit weather, except long term power outages 1.5-2+ hours.

I'd have to disconnect everything in the yard to get a true download speed test. I have an Ayrstone 2x2 hub mounted 30ft up that gets wifi out to about a mile with line of sight. Hoping to get it up the full 45ft, but I'll need to drop the tower to do it... a missed step at 45ft is probably damn close to lethal.

Eventually, I'd like to expand my Ayrstone network with mobile hubs. Supposedly with line of sight you can get 2.5miles between hubs, and can daisy chain 3 hops to get wifi 7.5+ miles away from the farm, or use bridges for distances at 5+ miles. I'd like to plop weather stations on all "chunks" of farmland if I could. Potentially soil probes for moisture, nutrients, etc.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.