• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You Will Own Nothing and You Will Be Happy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    Without watching the video and simply posing a philosophical question....

Do people need to own things to be happy?
    That is an interesting question. For myself the value of ownership is certainty and control. As an example the certainty of rented land only lasts as long as the contract. Plus ownership gives a greater level of security. In my case yes I would need to own things to be happy. Plus as a farmer it would be hard to earn an income if I didn’t “own” anything to sell!!

Comment

There’s a level of stress free comfort in renting. No cost of upkeep, taxes, different insurance, etc. I can understand why it’s appealing in forms to some people.

But besides the idea of large asset ownership, which seems to be the default thought process, there are lifestyles that focus on minimizing being so materialistic. Why buy books when you can go to the library? Why buy movies when you could rent at Blockbuster or now, stream online?

Kind of the idea of the more you have, the more you have to lose.

I’m definitely not against owning things but it does seem to be a leading cause of money stresses which inhibits happiness for most people.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
            BS! It was not posted by the world economic forum. It was posted by "The Bigger Picture" a youtube video channel with - get this - only 859 subscribers. Just because the words "World Economic Forum" appears on the pictures does not mean that the captions are the views or plan of the forum. In fact the poster even posts "This channel 'The Bigger Picture' may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not always be specifically authorized by the copyright owner"

If you click on the poster's name it takes you to a Trump 2020 backdrop with lots of anti Semitic and fascist videos. If you then click the "about" tab you get links to 3 more anti Israel channels.

No where is there a name of the actual poster or contact information! It is a troll site that has nothing to do with the World Economic Forum and is pure propaganda seeking gullible people to share its hate message. And there are those in agriville who share such bs without any questioning of it. As a farmer I am embarrassed by such gullibility by fellow farmers.

Hamlock, on another post you asked why tweety posts here if he does not like the site or posters on agriville. I cannot answer for tweety, but this post is why I post. I know there is nothing I could ever say or do which will change the minds of Big Lentil, Oliver88, or Burnt or Jazz/Jordy but there are a lot of people who do not post that follow this site as well. And some will be caught up by lies such as Big Lentil just posted and will continue to share such propaganda. Hamlock, you (and even the Agriville administrators) may be ok with such propaganda being posted on Agriville but I am not and I will call it out when I see it. Afterall, lies repeated enough times becomes some peoples truths if unchecked as we have see with the past administrations "alternative facts'
            BS propaganda really? Oh look the very same video on the World Economic Forum website. I don't appreciate the name calling shows your level of class.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/8-predictions-for-the-world-in-2030/
            Last edited by biglentil; Nov 13, 2020, 19:21.

Comment

[QUOTE=Blaithin;473735}

Do people need to own things to be happy?[/QUOTE]

Naked in a snow bank probably isn’t happy unless it’s after a good hot sauna. So yah I kinda need to own things to live and if I don’t live I’m probably not happy.

Comment

I don’t own any buildings. I do own clothes.

Yet somehow I don’t often find myself only in a snowbank hoping to stay warm.

I also don’t own a gas plant, a pipe line or an electrical grid but I find myself with those things to use.

That’s the thing about philosophical questions. If you think on them longer than the 30 seconds it takes to form a knee jerk response you can be surprised by what you come up with.

I like positivity, how about: Would things get better or worse if humans focused on what was going well rather than what’s going wrong?

Or I like this one: If freedom is simply being able to do what you want, are animals freer than humans?

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                  BS propaganda really? Oh look the very same video on the World Economic Forum website. I don't appreciate the name calling shows your level of class.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/11/8-predictions-for-the-world-in-2030/
                  And had you linked to that site instead of a troll site viewers would have read that the video was 8 future predictions by 8 individuals from around the world. This does not mean the video is a blueprint of what the wef is planning or doing. As I am sure you are aware, Trump attended two WEF gatherings in Davos and CEOs and leaders of many global businesses attend Davos. So ask yourself before jumping on your high horse, is this the plan of business and governments including right wing governments like the US for the future or simply futuristic predictions by 8 individuals as it was presented on the WEF website. The statement: "'The Bigger Picture' may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not always be specifically authorized by the copyright owner" makes even more sense now!
                  Last edited by dmlfarmer; Nov 13, 2020, 20:08.

Comment

And had you linked to that site instead of a troll site viewers would have read that the video was 8 future predictions by 8 individuals from around the world. This does not mean the video is a blueprint of what the wef is planning or doing. As I am sure you are aware, Trump attended two WEF gatherings in Davos and CEOs and leaders of many global businesses attend Davos. So ask yourself before jumping on your high horse, is this the plan of business and governments including right wing governments like the US for the future or simply futuristic predictions by 8 individuals as it was presented on the WEF website. The statement: "'The Bigger Picture' may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not always be specifically authorized by the copyright owner" makes even more sense now!
                    I am aware Trump attended Davos he basically told the globalists to stick their commie agenda where the sun don't shine. Unlike Trudeau who bowed down to his puppet masters.

Comment

Philosophy is entertaining; however, it makes for thin gruel.

Would the best test of your question not be a real-life trial run?

Comment

This is one time I couldn’t say turnip was involved because even if he was there he would have no clue what anyone was talking about. He d be thinking about how to con them all into thinking he was the guy to run this thing though and he probably would accomplish that with a few chants and watch the pendant swing deals. So ok I change my mind maybe he’s behind all of this. Which is why it hasn’t actually been successful.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                          Philosophy is entertaining; however, it makes for thin gruel.

Would the best test of your question not be a real-life trial run?
                          I doubt a trial would be a good test.

There are those happy with less and those that require more. The trial would be heavily dependent on the nature of the individuals.

There are those that need to own simply because they can, because the Jones’ do, because they’ve been told to, because they’ve seen it so now they must have it, or because they’ve been sucked into the loop of ever expanding costs vs production be costs.

It would also bring into focus people’s definition of the word “need”.

For that matter the word own as well.

When do you own something. When you’ve paid money for it. When you have a paper that says you’re the owner. When you’ve made it...

Comment

I doubt a trial would be a good test.

There are those happy with less and those that require more. The trial would be heavily dependent on the nature of the individuals.

There are those that need to own simply because they can, because the Jones’ do, because they’ve been told to, because they’ve seen it so now they must have it, or because they’ve been sucked into the loop of ever expanding costs vs production be costs.

It would also bring into focus people’s definition of the word “need”.

For that matter the word own as well.

When do you own something. When you’ve paid money for it. When you have a paper that says you’re the owner. When you’ve made it...
                            Part of it may be determined by how much you value today and what you think happens on and after your last breath. Can’t take it with you they say? Should they bury the land deeds with you they won’t be yours anyway at that point?
                            Can you take the happiness you’ve experienced with you? Love of loved ones? But to some maybe owning land was more than that? And maybe owning meant being able to provide more for the loved ones?
                            I know lots of people near the end still trying to make deals and then others regretting to smell the roses along the way. Did they see the light to speak at that point if they did wish they’d let me know the what they saw.
                            It depends I think what the real answer is as to what happens to us after the end of here and whether maybe or not if that’s just the beginning. If it’s just done then go hard and heavy here if it’s just the beginning are we judged as they say for what we do? Who will judge? Will it be yourself judgement in front of everyone else knowing what you thought and did before? Will there be someone or something else judging? What are the consequences at that point?
                            Getting a headache this is too serious going back to monitor the chicken thread. Lol
                            Last edited by the big wheel; Nov 14, 2020, 07:14.

Comment

BS! It was not posted by the world economic forum. It was posted by "The Bigger Picture" a youtube video channel with - get this - only 859 subscribers. Just because the words "World Economic Forum" appears on the pictures does not mean that the captions are the views or plan of the forum. In fact the poster even posts "This channel 'The Bigger Picture' may contain copyrighted material the use of which may not always be specifically authorized by the copyright owner"

If you click on the poster's name it takes you to a Trump 2020 backdrop with lots of anti Semitic and fascist videos. If you then click the "about" tab you get links to 3 more anti Israel channels.

No where is there a name of the actual poster or contact information! It is a troll site that has nothing to do with the World Economic Forum and is pure propaganda seeking gullible people to share its hate message. And there are those in agriville who share such bs without any questioning of it. As a farmer I am embarrassed by such gullibility by fellow farmers.

Hamlock, on another post you asked why tweety posts here if he does not like the site or posters on agriville. I cannot answer for tweety, but this post is why I post. I know there is nothing I could ever say or do which will change the minds of Big Lentil, Oliver88, or Burnt or Jazz/Jordy but there are a lot of people who do not post that follow this site as well. And some will be caught up by lies such as Big Lentil just posted and will continue to share such propaganda. Hamlock, you (and even the Agriville administrators) may be ok with such propaganda being posted on Agriville but I am not and I will call it out when I see it. Afterall, lies repeated enough times becomes some peoples truths if unchecked as we have see with the past administrations "alternative facts'
                              Watch this Sky News video on why its important to pay attention to what the UN, IMF and WEF have in store for us 'Jackie'.

https://youtu.be/pF_kXE-HXSQ

Comment

Good point... Blaithin!

My dear Departed mom and dad owned nothing of consequence when they died a few years back. Were they happy? I believe they were... except for a few nagging issues...

My dad and mom farmed all their lives... dairy, then beef, then grain... ownership of assets allowed their children opportunities that enriched society in general and as well our community specifically.

What made my dear dad sad as he laid his head to rest on that final night?

Dad had been at a Revival Service... and the fire and brimstone preacher asked:

Who here is ready for Jesus to return?

A great cheer of yes we are ready went up from the audience!!!

The preacher asked again...

Who here is ready for Jesus to return... right now... this moment?

Another great cheer of yes we are ready went up from the audience!!!

The preacher asked:

Who here is NOT ready for Jesus to return?

My dear Dad was the only one to answer...

Dad said in a loud enough voice the preacher could hear...:

"I am not ready."

And the preacher asked:

"Why are YOU N O T... Ready for Jesus to return?"

And my dear Dad said:

"Because my Brother does not know Jesus..". with tears streaming down his face.

The Preacher said: "That is a good reason!"

Owning "things" in themselves does not truly make happiness... :

How we treat others and the legacy / reputation of integrity we lived by...:

Loving our neighbours as our selves... is what makes happiness:

And having the faith to Know what will happen to our souls... when we pass on...to the other side of life...:

That is true happiness!
                                Last edited by TOM4CWB; Nov 17, 2020, 05:11.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.