• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-coli in Quebec

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-coli in Quebec

The E-coli deal in Quebec was something we really didn't need! Apparently it came from meat from XL in Calgary? Which sort of puzzles me as I thought the deal was, if you kill fats you couldn't kill cows in the same plant? And I assume this was hamburger? And I thought XL killed all their cows at Moosejaw, where they have their boning line?
    XL Calgary is a fairly old plant while XL Moosejaw is pretty modern and up to date? XL Moosejaw was the last plant Canada Packers built before they packed it in?
    I find it amazing however that XL Calgary is still in business! It truly was the most inefficient plant in Alberta back in the late eighties when all the CP plants went down! But then the Alberta government had been backing them for a lot of years and probably had about $40 million in this dog...so I assume that is why they survived when Cargill set up shop?
    Lakeside always was a pig sty and I doubt that has changed much, but Cargill is one very neat, clean, and modern plant!
    When IBP came to Alberta with their checkbook in hand and bought Lakeside, they kept most of the management team...because they thought along the same lines! They believed in screwing everybody...labor, suppliers, truckers, feedlots!
    It's kind of funny how things turned out. A lot of the really profitable, efficient plants went down, and sat there and rotted, while the dirtiest, oldest, least efficient plants are still operating! The heavey hand of politics is all over that one! Peter Lougheed, Don Getty, and Ralph Klein!

I can tell you lakeside is not a pigsty. Quite ompressive really. I went through the old plnat a year befor the fix up and two years after. except for location you would not know it was the same place. Never been through XL

Comment

Let's just pray that no one gets really sick (or worse) from this. It just underscores the need for food safety at every step of the process.

Comment

One person died. That particular batch of meat was not traced to XL.

See: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/07/20/ecoli040720.html

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...